PDA

View Full Version : Information sharing

Antonio
02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I want to share with you the information I've gathered in this week...

Yale
As I already wrote (and people did not believe me...) admissions are coming next week.

Princeton
Nothing before 10th of march.

UCSD
End of the month or first days of march.

UPENN
Rolling system, the most admissions will be released next week.

Northwestern
If you are admitted: first week of march.
Rejections: third week of march.

Hope this helps...

Now...what about BU, BC, Stanford, MIT, Chicago, Berkeley, Brown and Harvard ???

Valhalla
02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
In one of the billions of posts I've read in the past 2 weeks I saw somewhere that BC releases admission decisions next week.

israelecon
02-22-2008, 11:28 AM
when i spoke to the secretary in NWU (mercedes) she said decisions will be by the latest march first and most likely during the last week of february. but maybe that has changed since i spoke to her.

Valhalla
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I want to make a bet:

I am pretty sure that Antonio will be admitted to at least three places from his list. I definitely believe in italians *ggg*

Antonio
02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
ahahah
I also believe that Italians rule...but I do not think that I am the best Italian, so...I hope you can win your bet although it looks very hard....

econphilomath
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
ahahah
I also believe that Italians rule...but I do not think that I am the best Italian, so...I hope you can win your bet although it looks very hard....

There are, by definition, 10 top ten (or even more as we have discussed in other threads!). Given that "italians rule", you might not get any offers in the first round, but iugi85 can't attend at all places and say he ends up at MIT, so that clears the way...

The trick is, if wait lists still respect the original country ordering...:hmm:

Valhalla
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry econphiloetc. (*g* forgive me but your username is just toooooo long :-)) but I didn't really understand your reasoning. Why shouldn't Antonio get any offers in the first round? I believe in him !

Remember from now on: You want sth from Antonio? You have to pass me first *ggggg* (just kidding)

econphilomath
02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry econphiloetc. (*g* forgive me but your username is just toooooo long :-)) but I didn't really understand your reasoning. Why shouldn't Antonio get any offers in the first round? I believe in him !

Remember from now on: You want sth from Antonio? You have to pass me first *ggggg* (just kidding)

True, we have only two observations, NYU and UPenn so much can happen in the coming weeks. my point was even if he doesn't get an admit then, he might once the other Italians decide where they want to go.

Valhalla
02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
True, we have only two observations, NYU and UPenn so much can happen in the coming weeks. my point was even if he doesn't get an admit then, he might once the other Italians decide where they want to go.

Oh I see. Got it now.

iugi85
02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I think that Antonio and some of you are over-estimating the power of Italian applicants :) ... I think that there are of course many other countries other than Italy that have amazing students and terrific placements (for example Israel, Canada, France, UK..) ! And don t forget that usually one half of the class at the top programs is from US. Perhaps this year italians are over-represented in test magic!

Valhalla
02-22-2008, 01:35 PM
No iugi! Check the names and CV's of grad students of top places to verify what some adcom-members told me. Then Compare the number of chinese grad students (for example or Indian) with Italians and put this in relation to population sizes...

It's of course not because people in the adcoms do that because they have some kind of "natural" preference towards italians but it seems as if they have made well experiences with people from places like Bocconi etc.. (I want to mention again that I am definitely not an Italian)

israelecon
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
i agree with valhalla. i am sure that coming from tel-aviv university has helped me a lot because relative to population in israel (7million) there are a lot of israeli placements in top programs (and israeli profs at top programs). even with the exact same profile from another country my chances would be much lower in my opinion.

Valhalla
02-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes I think so too israelecon.
But I also want to mention that Israel is also somehow a special case right? The schools in Israel have an excellent reputation and great profs. I visited once a lecture on social choice theory given by a prof from a well known University in Israel. It was simply great and the level was excellent: so although inferences based on one or two data points is probably not the best idea : If all the lectures on the grad level in Israel are comparable to those I visited it is understandable why students from israel have a good standing in the eyes of adcoms and I think it's pretty justified.

israelecon
02-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes I think so too israelecon.
But I also want to mention that Israel is also somehow a special case right? The schools in Israel have an excellent reputation and great profs. I visited once a lecture on social choice theory given by a prof from a well known University in Israel. It was simply great and the level was excellent: so although inferences based on one or two data points is probably not the best idea : If all the lectures on the grad level in Israel are comparable to those I visited it is understandable why students from israel have a good standing in the eyes of adcoms and I think it's pretty justified.
who was the prof that gave the lecture?
israel is a special case. for example just in my university there is one professor who also teaches in NYU (ariel rubinstein), a professor who also teaches at NWU (eddie dekel, i learned micro with him), a professor that also teaches in boston college (uzi segal, took a course with him), a professor that just came back from 4 years teaching in yale (tzachi gilboa, he is teaching me micro economic theory now) and thats just the ones i know about. (we also had a couple of israeli profs just get economics nobel prizes in the past few years (kahaneman and aumann). its also nearly impossible to get a job in an israeli university if your phd is not from a top ten school. (if you look in econphd.net rankings in micro and games tel aviv university is ranked second or third (after NWU).
i don't think its not justified, it just makes it harder for people who have just as much potential but did not have the benefit of these iinstitutions because of geography etc.

israelecon
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
also because there are many israeli and jewish faculty in top schools who come to israel often, we get great seminars. so in my university every week there are seminars from people from top US schools.

doubtful
02-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I have a question... why are there so many Italians in economics department but not in Business Schools? Basically you can find one or two of them in any top 20 department and for every year of enrollment, but I can't see more than 5-6 in the top 20 business schools.

Antonio
02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
About Business School.s..I do not know but if you look around I think there are some...for example at Chicago GBS there is L. Zingales that is VERY VERY STRONG (PhD at MIT).
Anyway...thank u all guys for your support to me and to my country, but...since I got rejected by Duke I really feel scared to hear by Stanford or Yale...I can just wait and hope....

doubtful
02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I am talking about students like me and you.. ( I am Italian... ehehhe) . Anyway Zingales is a financial economist, so chicago-gsb finance.

Olm
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
My goodness, can we not keep a single thread from derailing within the first page or so? :p

I confirmed the UCSD date for that same horizon as well.

doubtful
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I just randomly wrote to a Prof. in UCSD and he says he doesn't know when the decisions will be released.. hopefully next week as you say.

doubtful
02-22-2008, 04:55 PM
My goodness, can we not keep a single thread from derailing within the first page or so? :p

I confirmed the UCSD date for that same horizon as well.

we are never derailing when talking about the "italian rule" ... :D

Antonio
02-22-2008, 05:48 PM
And we are WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!
ahahaha...
By the way...doubtful are you from Bocconi too? And if not, where?

doubtful
02-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I am not.. that's why life for me has never been easy... I am a former engineer and I studied in Milan.. I guess you can get it now.. ehehehe

Antonio
02-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Yeah!
POLITECNICO

needeconhelp
02-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah!
POLITECNICO

Me thinks there should be a new thread 'Italian applicants' for my fellow TMers Antonio, Iugi85, and doubtful.:tup:congratulazioni Iugi85 in particular for your superb accomplishment thus far.

doubtful
02-23-2008, 03:46 AM
even if I am not a Bocconi guy, I think I am kicking butt... in Business Schools especially. it looks like they don't want engineers in economics departments.... :(

needeconhelp
02-23-2008, 05:39 AM
I can see a large correlation between last year's dates and this year's dates from gradcafe e.g. UVA, Yale, Duke, OSU. So I believe we can expect a similar trend with these schools.

columbia: Feb 26-27th.
Brown: Mar 5th.
Stanford: Mar 2nd.
UC Berkley: Mar 1st
Michigan: Mar 12-13th
UCLA: starting March. Rolling, I think.

Valhalla
02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
who was the prof that gave the lecture?

Sorry for answering that late..: Shmuel Nitzhan. I enjoyed his lecture a lot.