PDA

View Full Version : Any news about Econ PhD in Cambridge University?

statrics
02-23-2008, 02:50 PM
I submitted paper-formed application last Dec.

One Cam professor showed some interest to me and promised to interview me if I met the standards of the Adcom.

However until now I did not get any information.

Anyone got informed the decision from the Adcom?

statrics
02-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Ok, it seems I am alone to fight the Cam monster:(

pevdoki1
02-24-2008, 01:12 AM
I wish you good luck in your battle, young lad! May Virgin Mary assist you in your quest of fighting the Cambridge rejection dragon.

Trapped In an EW Box
02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
i'm applying to c-bridge too....they contacted me a few weeks back for some additional information...other than that, status is still up in the air. there should be a site to check your application though.

mysherona
02-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Which program did you apply to, Trapped? I am also waiting for the decision on my MPhil application.

Trapped In an EW Box
02-24-2008, 04:30 AM
I've applied directly to the PhD, since I have an MPhil from Oxford. Pretty sure they're going through the same channels though... I LOVED being in Oxford, and I've applied to both, but Cambridge has more economists I'd like to work with...I feel like such a traitor, ha ha :blush:

From my past experiences, Oxbridge sends out notices later than anybody else...the process just takes longer!

Olm
02-24-2008, 05:21 AM
I've applied directly to the PhD, since I have an MPhil from Oxford. Pretty sure they're going through the same channels though... I LOVED being in Oxford, and I've applied to both, but Cambridge has more economists I'd like to work with...I feel like such a traitor, ha ha :blush:

From my past experiences, Oxbridge sends out notices later than anybody else...the process just takes longer!

Did you get funding from a college while at Oxford, or was your funding external? I applied there for the MPhil...

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 05:44 AM
I was thinking about applying to oxford, cambridge, pompeu fabra, tilburg and some other european master programs. However, I kept procrastinating, missed the deadlines for the first two and then realized that I don't really want to come back to Europe after 4 years in the U.S.A. I'm worried about funding and I don't want to migrate again and try to adapt to new places... I have an international friend though who graduated last year and studies in Oxford now and HE LOVES IT.

Good luck dude!!!

Trapped In an EW Box
02-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Olm, I was on external funding. Really sweet program though...and Ox is great!

statrics
02-24-2008, 11:40 AM
i'm applying to c-bridge too....they contacted me a few weeks back for some additional information...other than that, status is still up in the air. there should be a site to check your application though.

The strange thing is that after I submit the paper formed application, I did not receive any information on how to access the website.
Should I ask for that?

statrics
02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I wish you good luck in your battle, young lad! May Virgin Mary assist you in your quest of fighting the Cambridge rejection dragon.
Thanks:) I really hope that Virgin Mary will not let me alone.

hot_choco
03-12-2008, 05:42 AM
i also submitted the paper form. I got an email that say they received my application and is going to send me a username to access the website. But until now I havent received an email from them.

statrics
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
hot choco, when did you submit your application?

asianeconomist
03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I submitted my application for the Diploma in Economics program in January. The CAMSIS website still indicates my status as "applicant". When do these guys generally inform?April?May?

Nebuchadrezzar
03-12-2008, 06:31 PM
they notified me the result for the mphil in economics (option b) via website, with the words "application is canncelled (not able to offer)"

rcwlhk
03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I submitted my application for the Diploma in Economics program in January. The CAMSIS website still indicates my status as "applicant". When do these guys generally inform?April?May?

I also applied for the Diploma program and also applied in January. My status still says "Applicant". :hmm:

Connemara Pony
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I applied for MPhil Option A in mid January and got an acceptance email from the faculty today. I have to wait 4-6 weeks to hear from the Board of Graduate studies.

hot_choco
03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
I sent my application early feb using DHL. One week after it arrived (I track my mail online), they sent me the email. I dont know whom to contact to get the username because it said: "We will use a self-service account to keep you informed about the progress of your application, and for you to maintain your contact information. If you do not already have an account, we will set one up now. Soon, you will receive a letter containing your user id and password, and explaining how to log in to self service. Please do not contact us directly for the details."

does letter mean post mail or email?

asianeconomist
03-13-2008, 04:18 AM
I sent my application early feb using DHL. One week after it arrived (I track my mail online), they sent me the email. I dont know whom to contact to get the username because it said: "We will use a self-service account to keep you informed about the progress of your application, and for you to maintain your contact information. If you do not already have an account, we will set one up now. Soon, you will receive a letter containing your user id and password, and explaining how to log in to self service. Please do not contact us directly for the details."

does letter mean post mail or email?

Well, I cannot comment on paper applications, but they usually immediately send you an online-based account checking system for online applications. Its called CAMSIS (or something of that sort). Hence, presumably, setting up an account does not deserve too long a duration. I really cannot guess that whether they'll inform you through email or post. But, since they have still not contacted you, I believe that you've got every right to contact them with your honest inquiry.

hot_choco
03-13-2008, 05:23 AM
thanks asianeconomist for the input. Just now, I found out that "If you applied online, you will receive an email; if you applied on paper, you will receive a letter." I live in South East Asia, probably this is why the letter hasnt arrived yet. I'll just wait till the end of the month and then if i havent received the letter yet, ill try contacting them.

asianeconomist
03-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I just got this in my email from Cambridge.

I am contacting you to update you on the status of your application.

Our Admissions Committee has considered your application and at this stage no final decision has been made. Your application, has therefore, been put on hold until all the Diploma applications have been assessed. Once this has been done all applications that are on hold will be reconsidered and a final decision made – this will be towards the end of April. I will contact you by e-mail if we are going to make you an offer.

Best wishes

Joanna Gathercole

I guess it means that I did not make it in the first round of admits and have been wait listed. Am I right, or am I being awfully optimistic and trying to reject the possibility of a rejection ?

Connemara Pony
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I think what it means is that they've given out a few places to the top top people, they've probably cut some of the bottom people, you are a strong candidate but they want to make sure that they have enough space to admit you before they do, hence them contacting you after all the applications have been reviewed. That's what I get from it anways. I think it puts you in a slightly stronger position than been waitlisted(assuming my interpretation of the what the waitlist actually is is correct)
I've heard of a lot of people who got an email like that for the MPhil.

asianeconomist
03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I think what it means is that they've given out a few places to the top top people, they've probably cut some of the bottom people, you are a strong candidate but they want to make sure that they have enough space to admit you before they do, hence them contacting you after all the applications have been reviewed. That's what I get from it anways. I think it puts you in a slightly stronger position than been waitlisted(assuming my interpretation of the what the waitlist actually is is correct)
I've heard of a lot of people who got an email like that for the MPhil.

Thats encouraging to hear. Btw, what was the ultimate "fate" of the MPhil people who received such emails as mine ?

italos
03-29-2008, 07:17 AM
you are a strong candidate but they want to make sure that they have enough space to admit you before they do, hence them contacting you after all the applications have been reviewed.

What could it be more than acting as a discussant in an international conference at Cambridge and have become acquaint with the academics there .....?????

I am out from the PhD and I have reasons to believe that is all fault of the secretary(in a way i could prove it):mad:

PS.Please accept my apologies if I used inappropriate language!

asianeconomist
03-29-2008, 08:12 AM
What could it be more than acting as a discussant in an international conference at Cambridge and have become acquaint with the academics there .....?????

I am out from the PhD and I have reasons to believe that is all fault of the secretary(in a way i could prove it):mad:

PS.Please accept my apologies if I used inappropriate language!

Hey, I am sorry to hear that. I remember you once remarked that some faculty member in Cambridge even promised to specifically look to your file.
What went wrong !

econ_confused
03-29-2008, 10:25 AM
i had applied for diploma in economics...i got a mail yesterday that i have been made an offer..it also said since they are very busy, they will be updating the status online(the camsis self service thing) only in 4 to 6 weeks

asianeconomist
03-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Congrats econ_confused (http://www.urch.com/forums/../members/econ_confused.html). Are you funded ?

econ_confused
03-29-2008, 01:21 PM
i called up Joanna...she said funding decisions have not been released yet

Connemara Pony
03-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Thats encouraging to hear. Btw, what was the ultimate "fate" of the MPhil people who received such emails as mine ?

I don't think any of them have heard back yet. They were told March/April so it could be a while yet.

italos
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey, I am sorry to hear that. I remember you once remarked that some faculty member in Cambridge even promised to specifically look to your file.
What went wrong !

Have a look to the graduate caffe' if you wish.I explained all my story

Connemara Pony
03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
i called up Joanna...she said funding decisions have not been released yet

What sort of funding have you applied for? Or is it just funding from the trusts? Did you apply for Gates?

econ_confused
03-30-2008, 05:36 AM
funding from trusts only.

Connemara Pony
03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Okay. I applied for Gates but I'm not holding out much hope for it, I'm assuming it's really really competitive.
I hadn't really thought much about the trusts. Do you know if they give out much in economics? or how it's allocated?

asianeconomist
03-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I am not entirely convinced that whether there's an ethical dilemma surrounding this, but you'll find more informed responses (for Oxbridge) if you post your questions here:

Graduate Union :: View Forum - Applying (http://www.gradunion.cam.ac.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=b0cc75c306883589afed483bddc6e18f)

Connemara Pony
03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh I use that forum all the time. It's been down for the last fortnight though:(