PDA

View Full Version : Problem with LOR. Will my app be reviewed?

teardrop
02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
One of my referees has not submitted YET a LOR to Oxofrd. The deadline was a month ago and despite my nagging he has not moved an inch. I haven't heard anything from the grad secratary about an incomplete file. Will they review it anyway (the other two LORs are there) or quietly throw it away?

Olm
02-23-2008, 07:21 PM
This is the reason why I always send one more LOR than is necessary to every school I applied to.

And the last time I nagged a prof for an LOR, he wrote the absolute worst LOR in history. One day I might scan it and post it. :)

pevdoki1
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Haha, I'd love to see it!!

Luckykid
02-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Same here!

AstralTraveller
02-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Add me to the queue :p

polkaparty
02-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Someone in another post mentioned a (hypothetical) letter saying

"Don't make the same mistake our [undergraduate] committee made."

If we want to talk about lines from a killer (in the bad sense) LOR....

Olm
02-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I just checked my files... I must have thrown it out :( sorry guys. I was certain I kept my LORs (just to see who I can count on to write me a good rec for PhDs), but I remember only one of them being great (which I wrote for the prof, LOL!), one being lukewarm, and... well, the last one being the worst LOR in history.

teardrop
02-23-2008, 10:41 PM
How do you have the LORs? In my case, only one prof let me see the LOR she wrote for me. I think most don't let you see what they're submitting.
This prof was really thoughtful and asked me many questions about my plans saying he wanted to do the LOR right so I have no idea why he's not submitting one.
Still, this doesn't answer my original question: will the discard my app without notice?

Olm
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Some schools (thought I am not sure how prevalent this practice is) will let you see LORs only after they have given you the admissions decision.