PDA

View Full Version : In at NYU-Stern-Economics

iugi85
02-23-2008, 09:42 PM
In at Stern, doctoral program in Economics.. saturday is the new york day i guess :) ... (by email)

little guy
02-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Me too, 24k + health + tuition waiver. Some consolation for Yale. :)

Olm
02-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Seesh, iugi85 is getting in EVERYWHERE, lol! Congrats to all those admitted! :)

statrics
02-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Wow, big offer. Congs!

doubtful
02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
iugi, I have never heard of an Italian having so many excellent offers.. post your profile so all the others can be envious..

econphilomath
02-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Dude, stop man!

No really, congrats, you guys are kicking butt!

AstralTraveller
02-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Me too, 24k + health + tuition waiver. Some consolation for Yale. :)

I was really waiting for this one. Congrats to you people, Little guy and Iugi85. This is definitely among my three highest priorities. Hope I'm at least waitlisted. :luck2:

econdreamer
02-24-2008, 03:18 AM
I got IN, too!!! Haha...

econdreamer
02-24-2008, 03:20 AM
These offers are really beyond my expectation, honestly. In fact, I am from a school that do not even have a economics department, nor a economics degree program. So I am an accounting and finance major really. So why did all these schools offer me admission? That is worth careful analysis.

AstralTraveller
02-24-2008, 03:33 AM
I got IN, too!!! Haha...

They admit 2-4 people a year. The 3 admits from TM leave me really close to a reject.:yuck:

Congrats to you people, really [clap]. If anybody is positively sure is not attending, please let the school know, so maybe they can roll the list. Of course, it would be hard for anybody to reject an offer from NYU Stern, so I am not holding my hopes too high :( (Jeez, I don't even know if I'm waitlisted...how pathetic).

little guy
02-24-2008, 04:26 AM
I think they want an intake of 2-4 a year, so they probably admit like 5-10, still a pretty good percentage for TM.

I think they write that so they look even more competitive.

Olm
02-24-2008, 05:20 AM
These offers are really beyond my expectation, honestly. In fact, I am from a school that do not even have a economics department, nor a economics degree program. So I am an accounting and finance major really. So why did all these schools offer me admission? That is worth careful analysis.

If your grades are good and you're from an unknown international school, some departments may be willing to take a chance on you. I'm from an unknown school in Canada, but a lot of douches from it went to good graduate schools and stank up the place (asked to leave the program, were not serious students, could not write good research, etc). Now I have to clean up their mess, so to speak. :(

appliedtheorist
03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Any quick comparisons between NYU Econ and NYU Stern Econ? Opinions?
Also, who is accepting his/her offer for Stern?

Stuy
03-27-2008, 11:20 PM
First if you join any program you can take advantage of the other department. So, in terms of access to faculty, classes, etc. there is little to no difference at all. In terms of fellowship I think Stern is more generous. In terms of jobmarket outcomes I'd say that usually coming from a b-school is not the same as the econ dept.
About NYU Econ I guess lots has been said elsewhere. About NYU Stern Econ their strengths are mostly in IO and International Economics. They also have some top theorists (Brandemburger for example).

AstralTraveller
03-28-2008, 02:55 AM
Also, who is accepting his/her offer for Stern?

OK, I'm letting it out......THIS is my super top "waitlist" (I know they don't officially hold waitlists, but whatever they have instead of that, I've been informed I'm in it).

Here is my dream school, and this is the place I really want to go. I love so much the school, that if they were to take the whole faculty to the middle of the desert instead of New York, I'd still rank that "Desert University" my top priority. My love for NYU Stern is purely academic ;)

When I saw the thread resurrecting I must admit I almost fainted. I thought someone else had been offered admission instead of me, and at this point it would almost have meant the end of the game at least regarding NYU.

I'm praying to God and all saints with my whole heart that the rest of the candidates can free a place for me:blush:.

Edit (03/29): I am NOT asking anybody to turn down anything. Take your time, make your decisions, and be happy. If I am to go to Stern, time will tell.

fp3690
03-28-2008, 03:00 AM
OK, I'm letting it out......THIS is my super top "waitlist" (I know they don't officially hold waitlists, but whatever they have instead of that, I've been informed I'm in it).

Here is my dream school, and this is the place I really want to go. I love so much the school, that if they were to take the whole faculty to the middle of the desert instead of New York, I'd still rank it my top priority.

When I saw the thread resurrecting I must admit I almost fainted. I thought someone else had been offered admission instead of me, and at this point it would have meant almost the end of the game at least for NYU and me.

I'm praying to God and all saints that the rest of the candidates can free a place for me:blush:.

Come on iugi85, you're off to Harvard/MIT anyway, free your spot so AT can have his break.

asquare
03-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Come on iugi85, you're off to Harvard/MIT anyway, free your spot so AT can have his break.
fp3690, I think everyone on TM hopes that things work out well for AT. However, pressuring other posters -- even in jest -- is just not cool. Everyone deserves to make his/her own decision, based on what is best for him/her. It's not appropriate to use TM to push people or make them feel guilty about what they choose. And since we have no idea how the waitlist at Stern works or who else is on it, there's no way to know that iugi85's turning down a spot would directly open one up for AT.

Again, I hope that AT is able to attend a school where he is happy! But I just don't think it is right to even joke about pressuring someone else to make a decision on that basis.

AstralTraveller
03-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Again, I hope that AT is able to attend a school where he is happy! But I just don't think it is right to even joke about pressuring someone else to make a decision on that basis.

I have to apologise, because I have caused this with my attitude. I had specifically avoided referring to this, worring about this exact situation. Obviously as soon as I spoke about it, I should have known somebody would have tried to help. FP3690 should not be held responsible for this, IMHO. I was who started it. :blush:

I broke my own self-imposed rule myself :doh:.

Of course, Asquare is absolutely right: no one at this forum can assure that it'd be me who'd get the spot that somebody else frees out, no matter how much I want it. Besides, every person that has been admitted has worked very hard to get that specific admit, so they deserve to keep it as long as they decide to consider it. If I sincerely preferred NYU to MIT (call me crazy, but I want to study at the school where both Greene and Engle teach and advise), why somebody else wouldn't think the same?

Those who want to help, can do so by praying ;). It will definitely help, maybe not to get what we want, but what is best for us. Otherwise, things can get ugly.

Kelewele
03-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey AT!!

Hang in there, man!

I'm also waiting for my spot at a top place myself. I know that I'll most definitely get it.

Congrats to the NYU Stern guys who got in! Everyone just be cool.Those of us waiting on lists, or just waiting--hang in there!! Pray haaaarrrrd!!!

Congrats again to the TM NYU Stern admits!!