PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern

Pages : [1] 2

the_asker
02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I've always wanted to start one of these department-dedicated threads. So... Are the gradcafe NWU rejects legit?

eqtisadi
02-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't have any link in my application. It seems odd that they added it now, but who knows...

Any TMers got news in their application pages of Northwestern?

justanotherguy
02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
I've just checked my application. There is not a link with the decision yet. I guess we'll have to wait a few days more.

israelecon
02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
when i spoke to the secretary there a couple of weeks ago, she said that decisions will be given during the last week of february and latest by the first of march.

jazzcon
02-24-2008, 03:06 PM
No decision for me yet either.

AstralTraveller
02-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Another top-notch place for me....and yet no answer. I can wait as long as the answer is positive :clover: :p

israelecon
02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
its hard to believe that a decision will be made sunday, and its even less likely that someone will post that decision on sunday. but maybe tomorrow...

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
The rejections on grad cafe look kinda fake (no comments? come on guys, not even a "8=====D~~"???)

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Until someone from TM can confirm, I am suspicious of any gradcafe post. These are no exception.

Andronicus
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
No update on the site for me yet either.

econphilomath
02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
when i spoke to the secretary there a couple of weeks ago, she said that decisions will be given during the last week of february and latest by the first of march.

You obviously did not read the famed NWU thread from last year. Updates were posted on weekends, at 12 at night, etc. With NWU, we have learned to expect the unexpected....

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
we have learned to expect the unexpected....

But if we expect the unexpected then doesn't the unexpected become expected and hence we are no longer expecting the unexpected?

israelecon
02-24-2008, 05:33 PM
You obviously did not read the famed NWU thread from last year. Updates were posted on weekends, at 12 at night, etc. With NWU, we have learned to expect the unexpected....

thats true, i didn't read the nwu thread from last year. so, i guess now i will have to worry about nwu already today.

israelecon
02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
But if we expect the unexpected then doesn't the unexpected become expected and hence we are no longer expecting the unexpected?

are you also applying for a phd in philosophy?
although this kind of circular self-reference paradox thing is used a lot in set theory.

econphilomath
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
At least it sounded good...

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 05:45 PM
although this kind of circular self-reference paradox thing is used a lot in set theory.

I wouldn't say it's used a lot...you mention Russell's paradox and then rule out those cases immediately. What's used a lot are de Morgan's laws.

BTW, as I said, don't start worrying until we get confirmation of decisions from TM. The people making fake GC posts want you to worry, so don't indulge them.

That said, weekends and after hours are certainly not off limits for decision releases, just witness NYU last weekend. Harvard called people at 10 pm EST last year

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
If that NWU post GC really is a TM lurker, here is my message to them:

Gradcafe has a history of fake posts and with the anonymity GC provides, we can't know whether or not a given post is real. I'm not saying the posts are fake, I'm just saying we should not start to worry based on very limited information.

Addendum: Also, there is a strange pattern in the first 6 posts. They appear in pairs and go A - I, A - I, A -I. Of course this could be a random draw but what is the p-value....

Also, someone would have to really be out of their mind to write a fake rejection letter to attempt to prove their credibility, but I wouldn't put it past the general population.

One final thing: Whoever posted the "TM lurker" post: it's unlikely that this person knows 6 people (including the poster) that applied to NWU and all got rejected, so he or she cannot guarentee the authenticity of all the posts. The fact that he or she does indeed do so lowers their credibility, however.

econphilomath
02-24-2008, 06:26 PM
LOL I bet thegradcafe has no moderator...

Anyway, if the lurkers who were rejected by NWU posted they could share that info with us in a more detailed manner.

BTW, It could be true. A friend of mine who lurks just told me he got a rejection from Kellog last night....

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 06:29 PM
BTW, It could be true. A friend of mine who lurks just told me he got a rejection from Kellog last night....

Yeah, I'm not saying they're fake necessarily, I just want to avoid another "Yale scare".

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
If that NWU post GC really is a TM lurker, here is my message to them:

Gradcafe has a history of fake posts and with the anonymity GC provides, we can't know whether or not a given post is real. I'm not saying the posts are fake, I'm just saying we should not start to worry based on very limited information.

Addendum: Also, there is a strange pattern in the first 6 posts. They appear in pairs and go A - I, A - I, A -I. Of course this could be a random draw but what is the p-value....

Also, someone would have to really be out of their mind to write a fake rejection letter to attempt to prove their credibility, but I wouldn't put it past the general population.

One final thing: Whoever posted the "TM lurker" post: it's unlikely that this person knows 6 people (including the poster) that applied to NWU and all got rejected, so he or she cannot guarentee the authenticity of all the posts. The fact that he or she does indeed do so lowers their credibility, however.

polka, that pattern is as probable as any other pattern!!! (That's true only if A,I and U are equally probable, but that's not the point)

At this point, i believe that the rejections are more likely to be real than fake. Good luck to all of you guys! I'm waiting............

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
... to say the same thing in a simpler and more accurate way, any pattern that includes x A, y I and z U has the same probability to appear..

israelecon
I wouldn't say it's used a lot...you mention Russell's paradox and then rule out those cases immediately. What's used a lot are de Morgan's laws.

actually i was talking about theoretical set theory in which you deal with arithmetic of cardinalities and building axioms for set theory. the self reference paradox (or the unexpected expected paradox) are essentially the same thing, but the idea is used not only to prove that there is no set of all sets(thats what it is usually used for), but it can also be used to prove that the continuum is not countable, and that there is an infinite number of cardinalities (i.e. there is no biggest cardinality). Its also used heavily in godel's incompleteness theorem but less explicitly.

Olm
The rejections on grad cafe look kinda fake (no comments? come on guys, not even a "8=====D~~"???)

Call me immature but I found this funny :)

israelecon
02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
why would a fake reject bother making up a fake letter that sounds pretty real?

bgk
02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Actually (stepping out from the shadows), I am the gradcafe moderator. If a submission is total nonsense I will delete it. But I don't have time to check and verify every submission. But FYI I do try to check the threads here every few days and see if anything is total nonsense.

All the PSE stuff annoys me a little, and so I've tried to manage all of that. Try to show some respect for the site guys, or the whole thing won't work!

PS I read a few nice thing about the new UI, but what's the general consensus? (Economics is the 2nd most frequent search, so by asking you guys I'm getting a good sample of users)

pevdoki1
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I quite like the new interface.

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
PS I read a few nice thing about the new UI, but what's the general consensus? (Economics is the 2nd most frequent search, so by asking you guys I'm getting a good sample of users)

I like the new interface.

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know what the previous interface looked like, but the current one is good. it's not tiring... you can keep looking at it for 10 hours in a row without getting tired haha

bgk
02-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't know what the previous interface looked like, but the current one is good. it's not tiring... you can keep looking at it for 10 hours in a row without getting tired haha

... you should get out more :-). the old one is here (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/indexold.php)

Thanks all. If you have any suggestions let me know, although it'll probably be next admit season before I get around to incorporating them.

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
ok, guys, we have the first northwestern post in the decisions thread. This leaves us with no doubt that the storm is coming... TMers, tonight we dine in....

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Ok, time to start worrying. Someone has confirmed the NWU decisions....

08Applicant
02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
A quick look at last year's NWU posts on gradcafe seems to show the first batch are all rejections. Here's hoping for no news for the rest of us today.

polkaparty
02-24-2008, 08:40 PM
A quick look at last year's NWU posts on gradcafe seems to show the first batch are all rejections. Here's hoping for no news for the rest of us today.

:luck2::clover::luck2::clover::spidey:

Andronicus
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh boy, time for hyper-obsessive mode. The refresh button will never know what hit it.

Ricardinho
02-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Notified on a Sunday?! There really is no letting up......

Internationalstudent08
02-24-2008, 08:56 PM
so.... do you think that they are still updating the website and include more and more results? or should we just forget about it until tomorrow?

ephyou
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
it was an insanely generic reject - if you have no decision today its a good thing

as in, if its not update now, don't worry about it until someone posts an admit

Andronicus
02-24-2008, 09:00 PM
it was an insanely generic reject - if you have no decision today its a good thing

as in, if its not update now, don't worry about it until someone posts an admit

Was the rejection note you got the same as the one someone posted on gradcafe?

the_asker
02-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Economics is the 2nd most frequent search, so by asking you guys I'm getting a good sample of users

What's the most frequent?

I'm really surprised the Northwestern rejections are real. The race is on!!!

bgk
02-24-2008, 09:36 PM
What's the most frequent?

Actually, I was wrong (the top search is the unfiltered one), so the top three subject searches for the past 7 days:

economics 6.07%
computer science 4.05%
philosophy 3.84%

econphilomath
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh boy, here we go again....

No decision link for me ...so far. Of course its not a weird time of day where I am, so maybe they wait until people go to bed before updating the link. Kinda like Santa Klaus, he never comes when your awake, except, of course when your naughty you get rejected.

the_asker
02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Philosophy? That's a surprise. These days are just full of surprises...

Thanks!

econphilomath
02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Actually, I was wrong (the top search is the unfiltered one), so the top three subject searches for the past 7 days:

economics 6.07%
computer science 4.05%
philosophy 3.84%

Just a side note. The longest thread ever is "Post results on thegradcafe" with a link and everything.

I should get some kind of bumper sticker or something for starting it I think.

Valhalla
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi guys,

It's kind of hard for me to tell but I have to confirm the NW decisions... yeah I am out of the race... damn... but I got an informal call during the last days and thinking about it makes me happy at the moment: In at UC Davis... well but ***ing out of the NW race...

good luck to all of you.. was my top choice...

snief----:(:(:(

Ricardinho
02-24-2008, 11:08 PM
sorry to hear that valhalla, but congratulations on the Davis admit! good luck for the rest of them!

econphilomath
02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Sorry about that Valhalla. Sometimes things don't work out the way we wish them to. However, having Davis for sure is great!

Olm
02-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Sorry to hear that Valhalla :(

08Applicant
02-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Not hearing from Northwestern this weekend was a lot more palatable than no news from NYU last weekend.

AspiringEconomist
02-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Yeah, no kidding :)

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm thinking about sending them an e-mail, but I don't want to be annoying.... I'm sure they receive hundreds of e-mails lately...

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm thinking about sending them an e-mail

Maybe send them an email tomorrow (in about 12 hours). Last season it seemed like a few people sent emails and were told their decision via email.

AstralTraveller
02-25-2008, 02:52 AM
I am out of NWU......and this one really hurt! :(

God knows why these things happened, but it really hurt........badly

:doh:

AspiringEconomist
02-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Does this mean the information is being provided gradually or just that people find it at different times? Sorry to hear that, Astral.

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 03:27 AM
According to last year's data, their system updates at midnight. That means that anyone who doesn't have a decision letter now may have one in 2.5 hours....

Furthermore, this entire process has begun a few days earlier than last year. Here is basically what happened last year:

Day 1: Many rejects go out via the website
Day 2: More rejects go out via the website, Some admits go out via email in afternoon
Subsequent days: More rejections via website. In Day 3 it was confirmed that a website link may now result in an admission.

My guess is that since we have seen some rejects, they have made all decisions.

So that means that we'll see the first batch of NWU admits come in tomorrow! Good luck everyone.

08Applicant
02-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Well crap, now I'm worried.

It looks like I'll have to use some Ambien to get any sleep tonight.

Sorry Astral. Assuming my Harvard and MIT were joke applications (my belief), NWU is very very high on my list. It's a tough blow.

Olm
02-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Sorry to hear that Astral. :(

Andronicus
02-25-2008, 03:56 AM
According to last year's data, their system updates at midnight. That means that anyone who doesn't have a decision letter now may have one in 2.5 hours....

Midnight in which time zone?

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 04:03 AM
I guess it's midwest zone

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 04:05 AM
By the way, I've never run a complicated website, but I wonder why they arrange it so that the website is updated at midnight... is there a reason to not update it immediately after you insert the new data. again, i'm ignorant, so be tender with my foolish questions :)

econphilomath
02-25-2008, 04:12 AM

I think Los Angles wants you... forget Evanston! :)

AstralTraveller
02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
I think Los Angeles wants you... forget Evanston! :)

Well, I am really dreaming of California now. God only knows. :luck2:

I'd like to say a big thank you to you, my TM pals, for feeling for me. NWU was really one of my dream schools (the one from "my big 4" I thought I was most likely to get an admit to), but now it is no more. It is all over now. I am still dizzy after finding out the rejection.

One of my recommenders wrote me a beautiful letter of support after hearing the bad news as well. He told me he wrote in the LORs I was the best RA he has ever had, and the best candidate he has ever recommended. He told me he's sure I'll kick a** at any program that admits me. So he really helped me feel better (snif).

Hoping for the best... keep fighting, people!
Astral

PS: Ah, before I forget. I checked the Applyyourself site at a certain hour, and there was nothing. About half an hour later, the reject letter was available. So I was really confused about the timing. Just thought you people would like to know.

kuejai
02-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Hey, nothing to be sad about. You know you are good, and you will do good in the program you get in. At least, you get the answer. For me, I hear nothing so far. Anyway, I think you are one of the high profile people. Look forward and hope for the best to come!!! PS good luck on your interview!!!

AspiringEconomist
02-25-2008, 05:02 AM
No news yet Polka. For what that's worth.

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Anyone else staying awake until midnight (chicago time)?

kuejai
02-25-2008, 05:05 AM
I'm still up wasting my time away instead of studying. Anyone wants to join me in chat room?

Kelewele
02-25-2008, 05:07 AM
You'll be fine, AT. Keep your head up!:tup:

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 05:09 AM

Yeah I was planning on it, but I am falling fast. Besides, I think that it's still too early for admits, so I really don't want to stay up just to see a reject letter. That would really be depressing.

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 06:16 AM
so... it's 15 minutes after midnight in Chicago... has anybody got anything?

yes, I know I'm crazy :P

Andronicus
02-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Nothing here.

the_asker
02-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Nothing here either. Why must they torture us so? Phew.

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 06:22 AM
perhaps we have survived this round...

econphilomath
02-25-2008, 11:58 AM
perhaps we have survived this round...

... as the dust settled and the smoke cleared, there they were, still holding their ground. The TMers took heavy losses that night but they did not retreat and stood fast in the face of ..."rejection". It will all be over soon they tell themselves...

Ok now I'm off to get my medication. For some reason I think I will need it this week...[w00t]

Valhalla
02-25-2008, 12:40 PM
"No Surrender! No retreat! For honor glory and in the remembrance of the courageous fellows who couldn't withstand the onslaught of the incarnated evil!" --- 300

yeahhh as you see I'm still dizzy because of the early rejection...

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Well it's a bit past 9 AM in Chicago, anyone want to send them an email to try and get some info? Or a phone call perhaps?

Last year it seems that the emails to admits on Day 2 didn't go out until around 5 to 7 PM....

Valhalla
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
You should ask Olm for things like that! He is the secretaries whisperer! (By the way Olm: It's great that you've put it below your user name :-))) Maybe he even knows the grad-secretary at Northwestern already *g*.. who knows.. ?

MzSunshine
02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh no! First the Duke monster "adventures," and now Northwestern starts... Way to make people nervous already at the very start of the week! Fingers crossed for good news!

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Now that I have been rejected by Columbia (most likely), on top of NYU (most likely) and Duke, I'm really anxious about Northwestern's decisions.... Given those rejections though, I don't think that I should expect too much anymore

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
PS: I couldn't resist the temptation. I sent them an e-mail...

08Applicant
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Well I guess nothing big happened with last night's update. That's not too surprising to me. Assuming the midnight update for anything uploaded during the day, it's far more likely someone was working a little extra on Saturday and took Sunday off.

Maybe something happens tonight.

I still haven't heard from a single school and I'm having fun with this. All my schools are reaches and zero admits for me is a possibility. But then I'm the kind of guy that sits down at a blackjack table in Vegas with two weeks salary or more. Gambling is only fun when you're worried about losing. There's no excitement at the penny slots.

Olm
02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
You should ask Olm for things like that! He is the secretaries whisperer! (By the way Olm: It's great that you've put it below your user name :-))) Maybe he even knows the grad-secretary at Northwestern already *g*.. who knows.. ?

No more whispers until I hear back from Rochester and UCSD, sorry ;)

Valhalla
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh there you are Olm! I was already starting to miss you. What's up? Caught in intense discussions again?
I cross my fingers for you for Rochester and UCSD. Well who knows maybe we both go to UCSD in fall 08? :tup:

Olm
02-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Just biting my fingernails. I'm actually going to grab something to eat and get back to work, hehe.

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
We are too silent lately, huh?

polkaparty
02-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Another night passed. No link. Anyone?

Internationalstudent08
02-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I was about to post actually... no link for me either...

Internationalstudent08
02-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Are you sure that it really works like that?

Andronicus
Same here. I sure hope they don't string me along just for a rejection.

Olm
Another night, another day of no news from UCSD and Rochester. Argh.

polkaparty
Are you sure that it really works like that?

Read this post (http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/64887-northwestern.html).

Internationalstudent08
02-26-2008, 06:30 AM
let's say that we survived for another night :)
goodnight guys...

eqtisadi
02-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Guys, not all decisions have been finalized (at least not until yesterday). Someone from the adcom (I don't know who) asked a friend of mine, who is a student there, about me.

econphilomath
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Guys, not all decisions have been finalized (at least not until yesterday). Someone from the adcom (I don't know who) asked a friend of mine, who is a student there, about me.

Well its a good thing he/she is your friend!! Thanks for sharing the info....

Andronicus
02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Well its a good thing he/she is your friend!! Thanks for sharing the info....

Oh no, I hope they don't ask my arch-nemesis about me.

econphilomath
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh no, I hope they don't ask my arch-nemesis about me.

Hey, these things happen! His *friend* said something like: "ahh yea, um he's ok, I guess, if you like people like ..that, for diversity or something..."

BTW -eqtisadi that is definitely a good sign. They probably just want to confirm their prior about you which is that your a great candidate and will admit you...! awesome !

eqtisadi
02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey, these things happen! His *friend* said something like: "ahh yea, um he's ok, I guess, if you like people like ..that, for diversity or something..."

:D funny.

hmm... I really hope he didn't do it.

08Applicant
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM

I don't want to be the grammar police, but did you mean to say "as of yesterday." The way this is phrased, it sounds like decisions were finalized yesterday.

eqtisadi
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't want to be the grammar police, but did you mean to say "as of yesterday." The way this is phrased, it sounds like decisions were finalized yesterday.

Yeah, well I didn't know which one was better. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, and, speaking of grammar police, you should have added a question mark after the "as of yesterday" ;)

econphilomath
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Ok you need an admit,... quick...

BTW not hearing from NWU is good...I think (hope).

08Applicant
02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Ok you need an admit,... quick...

BTW not hearing from NWU is good...I think (hope).

I liked you more when your situation was as bleak as mine. Go roll around in your pile of money from Yale.

I'm just kidding, you're alright. Ok, maybe I'm not kidding.

econphilomath
02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I liked you more when your situation was as bleak as mine. Go roll around in your pile of money from Yale.

I'm just kidding, you're alright. Ok, maybe I'm not kidding.

Yea I guess I should just shut up for a while now. Anything I say or do can be held against me in a court of TM. I shall follow my own advice and keep quite for a while, at least until Olm gets into Rochester or San Diego, Astral in at Sloan or at Anderson, 08applicant into NWU and Mr. Keen in from the waiting list at Minnesota!

I almost forgot to mention that Antonio should be getting the Italian fellowship at UPenn ! iugi85 will be too busy sun-bathing at Stanford...rolling around in all HIS filthy cash!

Mr.Keen
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, just decline Minnesota and shut your trap! Lol.

mathgrad
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi,NW officially rejects people only after April 15.It offers admission on rolling basis.

Valhalla
02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi,NW officially rejects people only after April 15.It offers admission on rolling basis.

My rejection does not confirm this hypothesis :D

mathgrad
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Well,that's what the gradchair of the Math Dept told me.He told me that they do not officially reject anybody before 15th April but it is unlikely that I would be accepted:which is equivalent to being rejected.The Math Dept wants to be politically correct.

polkaparty
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Well,that's what the gradchair of the Math Dept told me.He told me that they do not officially reject anybody before 15th April but it is unlikely that I would be accepted:which is equivalent to being rejected.The Math Dept wants to be politically correct.

Different departments have different protocol. Some economics applicants have already received official rejections.

Mr.Keen
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Departments have different admissions procedures.

Valhalla
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Honestly: My rejection is soooooooooooo official... please don't let me say this again ok? :(:):)

Antonio
02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
anything new after the "rejection wave" of last sunday?

Andronicus
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
anything new after the "rejection wave" of last sunday?

Nope. Nothing on here or gradcafe.

polkaparty
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Last year an email went out at about 6:35 PM (EST) [5:35 Chicago time] on Thursday of this week (back then), a day after the first round of rejections.

MWG
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
anyone contacted Mercedes?

polkaparty
02-26-2008, 09:15 PM
anyone contacted Mercedes?

Not that I know of. It would be really nice to know what is going on.

Internationalstudent08
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I contacted her yesterday and she told me that they are still in the process of receiving files from the department's admissions committee...

Internationalstudent08
02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a feeling that this time they will try to release all remaining decisions the same time. Otherwise.... they know that they will receive many e-mails from TMers :P

MWG
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know who's in the adcom this year for Northwestern, Chicago and Penn?

israelecon
02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know who's in the adcom this year for Northwestern, Chicago and Penn?
i can tell you who isn't in the adcom at northwestern.

MWG
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
useful if u mean who's not among the econ faculty at NWU

israelecon
02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
useful if u mean who's not among the econ faculty at NWU
i'm pretty sure eddie dekel isn't on the adcom since he has been in israel for the past month or so.

polkaparty
02-27-2008, 06:05 AM
No link.

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 06:06 AM
same here...

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 06:17 AM
so, I think that we should go to sleep today and see what the next day will bring.... I can't even sleep lately. I dream of admissions all the time

arieshion
02-27-2008, 06:28 AM
rejected...

08Applicant
02-27-2008, 06:36 AM
I have a decision but I don't have the nerve to check. It's going to be a rejection.

F**k me.

redskins
02-27-2008, 06:37 AM
well, I'm out. think they linked the second rejection decision. so gloooooomy.

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 06:45 AM
sorry to hear that, guys.. good luck with everything else. I'm really anxious about Northwestern's decisions....

gregobad
02-27-2008, 06:49 AM
why do they release the decisions in waves? did they really just make more decisions today?

C152dude
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
why do they release the decisions in waves? did they really just make more decisions today?

I wonder the same thing. In my lazy mind, sending them all out at once would be so much easier (for everyone). Eh....

umairmk
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
rejected

eqtisadi
02-27-2008, 07:01 AM
I wonder the same thing. In my lazy mind, sending them all out at once would be so much easier (for everyone). Eh....

Hmmm... I don't know about rejections, but as for acceptances, releasing them sooner can make the market more efficient - if someone already got accepted to another place which s/he subjectively strongly ranks lower, s/he can turn down the previous offer and free up a spot.

MWG
02-27-2008, 07:12 AM
someone posted a reject on gradcafe...so NW is firing again

MWG
02-27-2008, 07:13 AM
has anyone checked out mercedes...?

decision2008
02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Rejected..... I need some "stochastic" part of this admission process to work in my favor....

israelecon
02-27-2008, 08:03 AM
it seems they inform a new batch every day of their decisions. when i spoke to mercedes she said that it takes about a week from when decisions are made until all the websites are updated. so there may still be a few more days of this.

the_asker
02-27-2008, 08:33 AM
it seems they inform a new batch every day of their decisions. when i spoke to mercedes she said that it takes about a week from when decisions are made until all the websites are updated. so there may still be a few more days of this.

But no one has been admitted. I wonder if I will make it.

stupidolive
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
question: what do you think of Columbia compared to NWU? overall and by subfield?
(Just curious though me no link either)

AstralTraveller
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
question: what do you think of Columbia compared to NWU? overall and by subfield?
(Just curious though me no link either)

I'm under the impression that NWU surpasses or equals Columbia in every subject/subfield.

Nevertheless, both are top notch institutions. You can't go wrong attending either.

stupidolive
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
My friend currently in NWU 2nd year told me that the macro theory group there is strong but no development. Other than that, I guess you are right, northwestern is very strong in micro and game theory, and corporate finance (quote my friend)

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I just looked at the 2007 posts on gradcafe. there were ~17 rejections through the website before the unofficial acceptance e-mail. now we have 20+ and quite a few days have passed since the slaughter started. I think that we should expect that an e-mail will be sent today or tomorrow anyway...

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
between Columbia and Northwestern, I would prefer Northwestern, although I prefer NY and I'm mostly into macro. However, I've been rejected by Columbia... and I don't have to decide seriously

stupidolive
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
hmm i think last year ppl accepted into NWU got an email...

polkaparty
02-27-2008, 04:50 PM
It does seem like the admits got an email before their website got updated. Note that the email arrived at 5:35 PM Chicago time.

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
There is something sadistic about the way Northwestern admissions work.

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Well it's almost that time of night again.

Here is some data from last year (thanks to grahamcoxon):

(Day 1) 02/28: 8 reject ; 0 admit
(Day 2) 03/01: 13 reject; 0 admit
(Day 3) 03/02: 9 reject; 0 admit
(Day 4) 03/03: 0 reject; 2 admit [there was also a reject on 03/03]
(Day 5) 03/04: 0 reject; 5 admit

I think that whoever makes it through tonight will have a good shot at getting an admit.

Note that there are two differences from last year's cycle.

1. The reject rounds were on subsequent days. This year there were two days between the first round of rejections and the second round of rejections. Also, it seems like the two rounds were somewhat larger than last year, but I haven't run any numbers.

2. On the second day, emails were sent to some accepted students. This year we have yet to hear of someone receiving an email.

Good luck everyone!

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 04:34 AM
Some additional data from this year:

From gradcafe:

Feb 24: 11 rejects; 0 admits
Feb 25: no news
Feb 26: no news
Feb 27: 15 rejects; 0 admits

From TM:

Feb 24: 4 TM rejections
Feb 25: no news
Feb 26: no news
Feb 27: 5 TM rejections

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 05:33 AM
After consultation with the Economics: MA/PHD (E05PH) program and after a thorough evaluation of your credentials by The Graduate School, I regret to inform you that you have been denied admission for graduate study at Northwestern University.

Because your interest in the University is deeply appreciated, this decision is not easy to convey. Though your plans cannot be accommodated at Northwestern University, the faculty and administrators of The Graduate School respect your intellectual ambition and wish you success in attaining your goal of advanced study.

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 05:34 AM
In other words... I've been rejected. Apparently, they uploaded the decisions earlier than the usual. That's sad... they miss a great applicant lol

AspiringEconomist
02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
So sorry to hear this. How and when did you get this news? Does this mean another batch of notices have gone out?

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
In other words... I've been rejected. Apparently, they uploaded the decisions earlier than the usual. That's sad... they miss a great applicant lol

Sorry to hear this news.

Andronicus
02-28-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm out as well. At least I can concentrate on my other options now.

AspiringEconomist
02-28-2008, 05:44 AM
Yeah, this system is pretty unfortunate. I like the way Yale did it: they rejected me but at least they told everyone at the same time. It's also nice they fund everyone. I guess Commodore and Nalfien don't need any more pro-Yale voices but circumstances force my hand.

ward
02-28-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm out too. I find it interesting that my decision was posted on 2/28 so it must have been updated just after midnight or at midnight Central time.

Oh well, i wasn't expecting to get accepted at NWU.

Valhalla
02-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm out as well. At least I can concentrate on my other options now.

Oh boy! Are they crazy? Rejecting the TM metal snake? Sorry to hear that dude. They simply didn't deserve you.

@International student08: I'm also feeling with you.

best

stupidolive
02-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm out :) now it's easy to decide

Andronicus
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh boy! Are they crazy? Rejecting the TM metal snake? Sorry to hear that dude. They simply didn't deserve you.

Thanks. I pretty much expected I wouldn't get in, but I wanted to take at least one shot at the top-10 just in case. My overall results have already been better than I expected; the only problem is now I have a tough choice to make between my admits. I'm thankful to have that problem.

By the way, since its been mentioned a couple of times, the "metal snake" thing is a joking reference to a song from the TV show Metalocalypse.

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
The battle rages on!

stupidolive
02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
i think whoever survived today has a good chance ;)

Ricardinho
02-28-2008, 01:37 PM
i think whoever survived today has a good chance ;)
Is that just a hunch stupidolive, or based on some insider info? In any case I hope you are right, but realistically I'm not expecting good news considering that I was rejected at Duke and Minnesota, and haven't heard from NYU, Columbia or Penn!

And congrats on the Columbia offer btw!

stupidolive
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
well based on what other ppl's post :D my friend in northwestern knows nothing about the admissions thing. But he got accepted, 2 years ago, somewhere early March... so hold on tight!

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Is that just a hunch stupidolive, or based on some insider info? In any case I hope you are right, but realistically I'm not expecting good news considering that I was rejected at Duke and Minnesota, and haven't heard from NYU, Columbia or Penn!

And congrats on the Columbia offer btw!

I was exactly on the same boat... rejected by Duke, haven't heard from NYU and Columbia (this means definite rejection in the second case) and now I got the rejection from NWU. If you get into NWU, I will have some hope that I may get into a good school..

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 11:42 PM
I guess they're not sending emails out today.

polkaparty
02-29-2008, 06:02 AM
no link :hmm:

5th night of staying up until 1 am just to check this website and counting....

eqtisadi
02-29-2008, 10:48 AM
no link :hmm:

5th night of staying up until 1 am just to check this website and counting....

Do you prefer to get a rejection?

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 06:05 AM
No link for me, but there is some NWU action tonight! Admits are rolling in now!

Chicunomics
03-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm IN!!!!

Link on website (no e-mail warning that my status had been updated), I shat myself momentarily, convinced I'd been culled!

No funding details, claim that funding details will come shortly.

Andronicus
03-02-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm IN!!!!

Link on website (no e-mail warning that my status had been updated), I shat myself momentarily, convinced I'd been culled!

Congrats!!!

mysherona
03-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Congrats Chicunomics! Preference between NYU and NWU?

asianecon
03-02-2008, 06:18 AM
I'm IN!!!!

congrats Chicu!

AspiringEconomist
03-02-2008, 06:28 AM
No link still...

Chicunomics
03-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Congrats Chicunomics! Preference between NYU and NWU?

NWU is close to being strictly dominant, assuming I get enough money to live off, just because it's so ridiculously strong in my fields...

Olm
03-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Congrats, Chicunomics :) :) :)

eqtisadi
03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Congrats Congrats!
I'm in too (I also posted on thegradcafe)!
Are we sure the visit day is April 4? A little birdy (not econphilomath's one) told me that Stanford's visit days are April 3 and 4. Not that I know that I'm in there (many people from my country there).

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Are we sure the visit day is April 4? A little birdy (not econphilomath's one) told me that Stanford's visit days are April 3 and 4.

Wow that would be terrible. Then NWU, Stanford, and Chicago's flyouts would all be on the same day.

AspiringEconomist
03-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Polka, Good luck with everything! You post so much and are so up to date--I definitely hope you go to a great place. Of course the same to everyone else! Many folks already have great choice sets.

Olm
03-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Many folks already have great choice sets.

And many folks don't :hmm: (see signature)

touchwood08
03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I am in too...link on the website, no e-mail, no funding details.

Nice way to wake-up :)

iugi85
03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
i am in too.... congrats to everyone who got it!

elogiombra
03-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm in too...see you there for the visiting day to all of you!and congrats!

ForTheWin!_08
03-02-2008, 10:44 AM
What does it mean if we haven't heard anything yet? Should I assume that I've been rejected? If so, how come I wasn't rejected with the first-round people last week?

Sammy6
03-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Link this morning for me too! Yay! Congrats everyone!

wheeler
03-02-2008, 11:14 AM
In as well...no email, just checked the website..

Congrats to you everyone who got it!

justanotherguy
03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
No link for me. :(

Hopefully there is some sort of waitlist. :hmm:

israelecon
03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
i'm in too. no e-mail, just checked the website (like the last 5 days) and there was a link

Slovakecon
03-02-2008, 03:24 PM
good to hear that there are still many of us waiting - let's hope they haven't stopped posting the admit decisions! congrats everyone who got in!

AspiringEconomist
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't know what they've finished posting. Their system has been ridiculous. I am sure we'll now be waiting for weeks to find out our place on the waitlist.

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know what they've finished posting. Their system has been ridiculous. I am sure we'll now be waiting for weeks to find out our place on the waitlist.

Yes, their system is ridiculous. I still don't understand what on earth these adcoms are thinking. As soon as their list is finalized they should send a mass email to everyone who is admitted with a quick message: "You're in, more info later." Oh well....

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM
What does it mean if we haven't heard anything yet? Should I assume that I've been rejected? If so, how come I wasn't rejected with the first-round people last week?

Assume nothing. My guess is that there are still rejections, admits, and waitlists to be handed out. I also think that tonight (in 14 hours) we will see another round of admits.

economicsphd008
03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm in as well.

econphilomath
03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Is there anybody ut there thats into micro theory that would take NorthWestern over name brand Harvard??

israelecon
03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
if i got into harvard (which it doesn't look like i am) i would have a hard time deciding between the two. but its mostly because of location. if northwestern was in the NY or boston area, i would probably choose northwestern over harvard.
if you are interested in micro theory it doesn't get better than northwestern. i don't think anyone is even close.

asianecon
03-02-2008, 04:44 PM
actually i think H is good in micro theory, maybe not as technical as NWU but you'll definitely have a lot of publishable stuff to do. besides, the main advantage of going to H is the immense talent of the students. you'll find real geniuses there who can prove anything under the sun (e.g. Mihai Manea). this last point is what I think the major weakness of NWU.

on another note, i'm contemplating on whether to send an email to Mercedes regarding their system, ie no email alerts. It's possible that they aren't aware of this and it's applyyourself's fault! i think it is to NWU's advantage to fix this.

btw, i'm officially out of the H race (I emailed Laibson) but I've moved on. A rejection from MIT will complete my process of moving on and loving what I'm gonna do for the next 5 years!

eqtisadi
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
btw, i'm officially out of the H race (I emailed Laibson) but I've moved on. A rejection from MIT will complete my process of moving on and loving what I'm gonna do for the next 5 years!

Based on my empirical induction, that means that I'm out too (according to the "you're in <=> I'm in" theorem).

P=NP
03-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, this thread is amazingly similar to one from last year: http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/64887-northwestern.html

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 05:33 PM
btw, i'm officially out of the H race (I emailed Laibson) but I've moved on.

Did Laibson (he or she?) indicate whether or not they were done with all admits at this point? It would be nice to know for sure where I stand....

[sorry for the temporary derail!]

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
on another note, i'm contemplating on whether to send an email to Mercedes regarding their system, ie no email alerts. It's possible that they aren't aware of this and it's applyyourself's fault! i think it is to NWU's advantage to fix this.

Perhaps applyyourself charges extra to send emails to applicants and NWU is trying to save some money.

israelecon
03-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Based on my empirical induction, that means that I'm out too (according to the "you're in <=> I'm in" theorem).
seems that would put me out of the running for harvard too.

Olm
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Did Laibson (he or she?)

LOL, ironic ;)

israelecon
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
asianecon-can you give some more details about what you wrote laibson and what he answered.
maybe i will do the same, just so that i can move on...

econphilomath
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
asianecon - Sorry to hear about you application to H. I think you will be better off at Yale anyway. Who wants to study with someone who proves everthing under the sun anyway,... that would actually make me feel pretty dumb:D.

actually i think H is good in micro theory, maybe not as technical as NWU but you'll definitely have a lot of publishable stuff to do. besides, the main advantage of going to H is the immense talent of the students. you'll find real geniuses there who can prove anything under the sun (e.g. Mihai Manea). this last point is what I think the major weakness of NWU.

I didn't mean H would be bad in theory just that NWU is better in that particualr area and thus was curious if someboy would trade off the marginal extra theory for the ivy league sweater for jogging. Besides I'm sure any of us would be challenged at any of the top 20 universities and will learn a lot either way.

Even so, it is notable that given what you say about class quality at NWU vs H, that they have such good placements... kinda like their production function is more efficient for each given level of initial student IQ.

asianecon
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
asianecon-can you give some more details about what you wrote laibson and what he answered.
maybe i will do the same, just so that i can move on...

I asked him regarding my status and he said that he doesn't see my name on the list of names to whom they are making offers. Anyone's "interpretation" is as good as mine...

justanotherguy
03-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I asked him regarding my status and he said that he doesn't see my name on the list of names to whom they are making offers. Anyone's "interpretation" is as good as mine...

Perhaps that list is only for first-round offers. You should not discard being on some sort of waitlist (hopefully I'll be in that waitlist too...keep my fingers crossed)

asianecon
03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Even so, it is notable that given what you say about class quality at NWU vs H, that they have such good placements... kinda like their production function is more efficient for each given level of initial student IQ.

I definitely agree with this--NWU seems to give more value-added training (to use words that I think you've used before) than say H. A lot of self-selection is happening at H and MIT, so this value-added gets blurry when we just look at their placements. (Add to this the rumor that every student of Prof - gets a "free" publication at ---.)

asianecon
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Btw, if I were admitted to HBS or H, I probably would've attended their program despite the fact that there are only a few people working on stuff I'd like to do. I think reading too much TM sort of distorted my priorities (eg to be recognized by one's peers) and my signature down there, helps me to remember why I'm applying in the first place.

fp3690
03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
the main advantage of going to H is the immense talent of the students. you'll find real geniuses there who can prove anything under the sun (e.g. Mihai Manea). this last point is what I think the major weakness of NWU.

I don't think I've seen such a resume before. Maybe other that the other Princeton guy who finishes his PhD this summer after one year. Mihai Manea (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~mmanea/)

Olm
03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
The talent of the other students isn't something you should be terribly concerned about - worry about whether the program will fit you, your interests, and your goals! You will be much happier (and more successful in your job search) in the end. Sure, there are plenty of Dougie Howsers at the top schools, but what good do they do for you?

polkaparty
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
The talent of the other students isn't something you should be terribly concerned about - worry about whether the program will fit you, your interests, and your goals! You will be much happier (and more successful in your job search) in the end. Sure, there are plenty of Dougie Howsers at the top schools, but what good do they do for you?

I disagree fairly strongly. You want to be around the smartest people you can find. These are people you will bounce research ideas off of, discuss and learn economics with, and get feedback on your work. I think it's possible that you'll learn more from your peers than from your professors.

asianecon
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
israelecon: I'm curious what Ariel says about H vs NYU (or some other good theory school)

stupidolive
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I disagree fairly strongly. You want to be around the smartest people you can find. These are people you will bounce research ideas off of, discuss and learn economics with, and get feedback on your work. I think it's possible that you'll learn more from your peers than from your professors.
I totally agree with polkaparty.

Olm
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Well I ommitted the second part of my previous post to avoid sparking another debate, but since everyone decided it's "Let's beat up on Olm Sunday!" I have decided once again to avoid bringing up the point. :)

israelecon
03-02-2008, 09:46 PM
israelecon: I'm curious what Ariel says about H vs NYU (or some other good theory school)
firstly, i think he is biased towards nyu (likely). i didn't talk to him about harvard, but i got the sense that if i got into harvard (which apparently is not going to be the case) he would pretty much tell me not to go to nyu.
i can tell you what eddie dekel says about harvard relative to northwestern. basically he says that if you are interested in theory it a hard choice between the two. not because harvard can compete with northwestern in theory, just because you are around smarter people (on average) in harvard and that makes a difference too.

israelecon
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
firstly, i think he is biased towards nyu (likely). i didn't talk to him about harvard, but i got the sense that if i got into harvard (which apparently is not going to be the case) he would pretty much tell me not to go to nyu.

eqtisadi
03-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Well I ommitted the second part of my previous post to avoid sparking another debate, but since everyone decided it's "Let's beat up on Olm Sunday!" I have decided once again to avoid bringing up the point. :)

I tended to agree with your earlier post. I don't mind beating you, but not on this Sunday.

I think that being around smart people is good, but maybe not around people who make the impression of too-smart. What I mean is that people who are good at something can pull you up to their level only if they are not too far up. If they are Dougie Housers that make you feel not-good-enough, then you get more frustration than help from them. But that's only up to you. If you're into the lets-look-around-and-compare-who-has-the-biggest-... attitude, then you'll always find someone who is better (if not today, then tomorrow. if not in area x then in area y). But you can also do what asianecon's quote says and concentrate on what you're doing, then you will be happier and the help from the more expert people will be happily taken (unless they are really arrogant, but then the best strategy is just to ignore).

That's my new-age thing for today. Now I'm going to hug some trees.

econphilomath
03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Btw, if I were admitted to HBS or H, I probably would've attended their program despite the fact that there are only a few people working on stuff I'd like to do. I think reading too much TM sort of distorted my priorities (eg to be recognized by one's peers) and my signature down there, helps me to remember why I'm applying in the first place.

I don't get it, if you don't care what people think (TM, name brand), your only interested in your research (your sig) and H is not the best place for your interests (your comment), why would you go there when you can go to Yale with a truck full of cash and it matches better with your interests?

Dude you didn't want to go to H anyway! Forget that! :)

Big Tuna
03-03-2008, 05:58 AM
I'm in at Northwestern, if this thread is still about that :)

polkaparty
03-03-2008, 06:02 AM
I'm in at Northwestern, if this thread is still about that

Grats! Did your link just appear tonight? (i.e., like within the past 30 minutes?)

No link for me.... This is just destroying my nights. Do they realize what they are doing!!??!!?

scheng75
03-03-2008, 06:27 AM

Oh please don't feel discouraged about bring up your point(s), sometimes it's just a difference of opinions, no harm either way. Learning from peers can be more valuable to some than others. I'm super social so when I was in my master's program, I would always organize study groups and everyone in my study group that came regularly passed all of our comprehensive exams. But there were a few people that passed the exams on their own, either because they preferred to study alone or they were working. Of course passing comps/prelims is entirely different than research but the point is not everyone benefit equally from smarter peers.

scheng75
03-03-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm in at Northwestern, if this thread is still about that :)

That's really awesome!!! Congrats!!!

scheng75
03-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Grats! Did your link just appear tonight? (i.e., like within the past 30 minutes?)

No link for me.... This is just destroying my nights. Do they realize what they are doing!!??!!?

Keeping you up at night? ;) I totally remember these anxious times since I've been through it myself but it's also a very exciting time!!! Wish you the best!!!

mysherona
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Apart from polkaparty and me, are there others who haven't heard from NWU?

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Good Luck you guys that are still waiting... I hope there are some TMers that do gt into NWU and not H so that they will go to fly-outs and keep me company!

eqtisadi
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm coming man! 4th of April you said, right? I'm arranging my flights now.

Antonio
03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I have not heard anything...yet....

stupidolive
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
seems like none of you guys will come to Columbia :(

asianecon
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Good Luck you guys that are still waiting... I hope there are some TMers that do gt into NWU and not H so that they will go to fly-outs and keep me company!

I'm going unless the west coast schools have a flyout the same day (and assuming I get into either S, UCB, or UCSD)

mysherona
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
seems like none of you guys will come to Columbia :(

I will! I will! I love Columbia. Haha.

Poor Hungry Doctor ( Phd)
03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I have not heard anything either....it looks like applyyorself does not like me....first yale no link, now northwestrn no link.....

Antonio
03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Ok...I am trying to keep some kind of self-control...
Friday I wrote to Mercedes and she answered me to check applyyourself on saturday and then on monday...
Saturday: nothing. Now: nothing.
I hope that NWU admits are not finished since I saw very few activity here and on the gradcaf&#232;....mainly compared to the Harvard activity, and I suppose that Harvard makes less admissions that NWU....anyway this waiting sucks!

(I)NC
03-04-2008, 03:00 AM
No news from NWU. Do you think we still have a chance of being accepted?

Antonio
03-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I wrote to Merc.
She told me that I am in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe there is some problem with applyyourself...try call or email

asianecon
03-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I wrote to Merc.
She told me that I am in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe there is some problem with applyyourself...try call or email

You're raking it Antonio! Congrats!

nash12
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Congrats Antonio..:) it's your day man..!! northwestern and berkeley are huge admits..:)

Antonio
03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
thanks...now I am ready for my MIT rejection....eheh

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
WOW! NICE!

Congrats! You we patient and the admits finally came!

Slovakecon
03-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm IN too!! Unfortunately, they put me on a waitlist for the first year funding.. :(

trentnin
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm IN too!! Unfortunately, they put me on a waitlist for the first year funding.. :(

Congrat! Did you send Merc. an email, too?

Slovakecon
03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
No, I didn't contact her but I just received the email a couple minutes ago.. I think they are sending it one-by-one.. something must have gone wrong with applyyourself...

doubtful
03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
thanks...now I am ready for my MIT rejection....eheh

many compliments dear Antonio.. you are defending the Italian honor... It's quite a mystery why you did not get into BC but UCB...

Mr.Keen
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Antonio, congrats, man! These admits taste even sweeter after all the uncertainty.

Antonio
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
many compliments dear Antonio.. you are defending the Italian honor... It's quite a mystery why you did not get into BC but UCB...

But...I was in BC.
They (the professors) wrote me that they did not make me an offer in the first round because they were sure I would be accepted by some higher ranked schools (that's luck!) but if I were VERY VERY interested in their program, they would have admitted me. One of them also call me on my mobile....

doubtful
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
ahahaha the Italian connection at BC economics calls Italian students on their mobile.. eheheheh.

can I say that in my opinion you got 2 of the best admissions?

I love the UCB and NWU programs. If you are into econometrics I would prefer the second, otherwise Berkeley eheheeh

Antonio
03-04-2008, 06:57 PM
There is only one best admission....MIT.
And, I will never receive that one.
Anyway, I am very happy today....

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
ahahaha the Italian connection at BC economics calls Italian students on their mobile.. eheheheh.

can I say that in my opinion you got 2 of the best admissions?

I love the UCB and NWU programs. If you are into econometrics I would prefer the second, otherwise Berkeley eheheeh

Standard advice I get is if you prefer applied labor, development or weather then UCB if not NWU for theory, placements, value added, hair loss, overall aging.

Antonio
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
wait wait wait
how do you rank them?
For placement you say NWU > UCB ???

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
It seems that NWU > Berkeley for just placements in the last couple of years.

a guy named revealedpreference talked about NWUs strengths at length in another post. Phrase of the day was I quote "..Berkeley is a wasteland." ...a bit too much in my opinion (kind of funny though) but if you want a biased opinion for NWU look that guy up!
If you want UCB praise, contact Karina_07, plus shes actually there now so can give you real advice, not just my milk shake of TM knowledge.

Congrats on the options!

doubtful
03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
NWU program is super-rigourous in terms of math and stats. I interviewed at a place last week.. for a program in finance... the chair of the department told me that they were interviewing for a "financial econometrics" position, and in spite of taking a guy from chicago gsb, they are actually oriented on another guy from NWU economics.. if that helps.... it's an actual proof of the placement by NWU.

trentnin
03-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Are there anyone who have not been notified by northwestern? I emailed Mercedes today, and she said she did not have my file. No chances for acceptance? :hmm:

mysherona
03-05-2008, 03:33 AM
Are there anyone who have not been notified by northwestern? I emailed Mercedes today, and she said she did not have my file. No chances for acceptance? :hmm:

Did she say what you or she is to do next? I haven't been notified either. I emailed Mercedes today but she did not respond.

trentnin
03-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Did she say what you or she is to do next? I haven't been notified either. I emailed Mercedes today but she did not respond.

She said she would ask professors about my file. It was in today's morning, but no news after that.

AspiringEconomist
03-05-2008, 04:58 AM
how did you guys have her e-mail?

mysherona
03-05-2008, 06:13 AM
asianecon gave it to me. m-thomas@northwestern.edu

Antonio
03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
asianecon gave it to me. m-thomas@northwestern.edu

come on men!
It's on the web!!!