PDA

View Full Version : chances of couples in the admission

rover11
02-25-2008, 07:25 AM
I and my fiancee want to pursue an academic career. Since we are appliying to same schools we are worried about they will select only one of us,if we are lucky. Will it be helpful if i let the ad com know the situation.

Karina 07
02-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Ha ha ha, good luck. Sorry, I am bitter. You can mention it, sure, why not -- but don't expect them to pay much attention. But do feel free to mention it, there is probably no real harm.

Olm
02-25-2008, 07:46 AM
You tried and failed Karina? :(

macroeconomicus
02-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Some girl from 2007 applicant pool reported on this board that she and her bf made it into the same PhD program in Midwest. (Then he broke up with her.)

TruDog
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Will you both be applying to PhD in economics programs?

Also, I get the impressions that adcoms don't care about keeping couples together, unless they both would have gotten admission separately. Many faculty members are couples and they had to split up for graduate school as well.

If you really care about staying in the same place, you'll need to consider several lower-ranked schools. Sorry for bursting your bubble.

econphilomath
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Just a crazy anecdote. I know a pair of twins who both got accepted at UChicago two years back.....

I guess being twins is more permanent than bf-gf but who knows, maybe Prof List has a soft spot.

Internationalstudent08
02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
a) mention it in the statement of purpose or an additional letter b) apply to areas where many good schools are concentrated c) hope....

buckykatt
02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Just my gut feeling, but I could as easily see this working against you--especially at smaller programs. I probably wouldn't mention it until after you both were admitted, e.g. if one of you didn't receive enough aid to make attending feasible.

It seems to me that targeting schools in/near cities with multiple good programs might be your best option. If appropriate, this also seems like a situation where diversifying by applying to associated business schools, policy-focused programs, or AREC departments might pay off.

tangsiuje
02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a crazy anecdote. I know a pair of twins who both got accepted at UChicago two years back.....
Perhaps their achievements and qualifications were highly correlated. ;)

teardrop
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I know a couple (married) who were both accepted at Northwestern so they went to school together. The irony came later when they had to split for job placement: she went to Stanford and he to Harvard. They are still married though but live almost separately.

econphilomath
02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Perhaps their achievements and qualifications were highly correlated. ;)

LOL yea probably! I mean even IQ should be roughly the same!

If you admit one, how do you explain leaving the other out. Furthermore, how do you pick the one that does get in! Flip a coin!

buckykatt
02-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I know a couple (married) who were both accepted at Northwestern so they went to school together. The irony came later when they had to split for job placement: she went to Stanford and he to Harvard. They are still married though but live almost separately.

LOL! Though that still falls into the category of "problems I'd like to have". ;)

econphilomath
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
LOL! Though that still falls into the category of "problems I'd like to have". ;)

I second that!

tangsiuje
02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Hmm... have the two of you actually tried living in a long-distance relationship for any period of time...?

CDR-Memphis
02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know how simiar this is but from my undergrad school there are four of us applying to schools. Between all four of us there was three of four schools that at least two applied to. Only one person from each of the schools has heard back, even when both of us were very qualified.

israelecon
02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't know how simiar this is but from my undergrad school there are four of us applying to schools. Between all four of us there was three of four schools that at least two applied to. Only one person from each of the schools has heard back, even when both of us were very qualified.
that may be because they don't want too many people from the same school or country. someone who has sat in adcoms in very good schools told me that the way they sort the applications is: first they throw out everyone whose gre is not very close to 800Q and then they divide the applications by country. no one there will admit it but there is a quota for countries i.e. they don't want to much of an incoming class to be from the same country (which makes sense). but, the same is probably true for schools. they don't want too many people from the same school. so you and your friends may be competing for the same spots.

sonicskat
02-26-2008, 01:01 AM
My girlfriend and I are first years in the program this year. We never let anybody know, simply because:
1. They did not ask
2. It is not something they need to know

Didn't matter though, its hard to turn one person down and accept another with the same classes, grades, and GRE scores.

dr_Shpak
02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I know a couple (with a child !!!) from my country... he went to North Carolina University and she went to Duke. Different schools but in the same town... but then they had even a bigger problem during Job Market.... they had to go to the very low-ranked school in the middle of nowhere just to stay together when they have veeery good separate offers.

You could try big cities with 2-3 universities.... try NYC area ....there are a lot of universities not far from each other ... UPenn (it is possible to live in Trenton), Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Yale and safe Rutgers and SUNY, CUNY very safe- Drexel, Temple
Or Wasington ..... JHU,Georgetown, BMU,American university .....
Chicago.... Uchicago, Northwestern and Duke (?)
Boston..... Harvard, MIT,Brown safe BU and BC
and near Stanford there are Berkeley and some U California....

when i was interesting in this problem i drew a map and it helps :)

TruDog
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Chicago.... Uchicago, Northwestern and Duke (?)
:)

Duke is in North Carolina. The Research Triangle area of North Carolina (UNC, Duke, and NC State, with possible teaching opportunities as schools like Wake Forest and NC Central) is another hotbed of good universitites.

Equilibrium
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
i think the crux of the problem is whether or not you are both similarly qualified for the prospective program(s) you are wanting to enter, if enough of the same schools fall in the attainable range of schools you can have a good chance of getting into, there would be a case for applying to TONS of schools, and the only issue would be whether or not one of you got an offer you "couldn't refuse", in which the schools close to each other tactic would be very worth it. In the case funding is different between your offers at the same school, then you can always tell them at this point that you're actually prevented from going to school there because your partner cannot get funding. This is basically the same dilemma of getting a crappy offer and politely telling the school that you won't be able to attend because the funding won't permit a livable situation.

sonicskat
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Also in the NC triangle are is Elon University, with teaching opps....just had to put my plug in for my alma mater.

Also if you teach at duke or unc, NC A&T, Wake Forest, Salem College, Guilford College, UNCG, and Greensboro college are all doable given you live in the right location

notacolour
02-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure how this thread turned into talking about the job market, but to answer the OP: I wouldn't mention it. I can't imagine adcoms caring, or if they do care, I don't think they would respond positively. Apply to the same (or close) places, and hope, but don't hold your breath, unfortunately. If you both get accepted and make it all the way through--and stay together--there's still the problem of the joint search, but that's another issue altogether...

zeira
02-26-2008, 11:46 PM
I thought this was worth mentioning since everyone else so far had the opposite advice. My data point is a friend of mine who applied with his girlfriend to PhD programs in Math last year. They both made it clear in their applications that they're applying "together" and that they wouldn't take an offer if the other one couldn't go there. I think even their letter writers mentioned the other person in the letter. At the time I thought it was a bit silly and extreme, but it worked out well for them. I think all the schools that accepted one of them also accepted the other, and they're now at Cornell.