PDA

View Full Version : LSE MSc in Finance and Economics vs Tufts MA in Economics

tennisboy85
03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I just received a letter from tufts that I got admitted with a 50% tuition waiwer. In addition, I got accepted into LSE without any scholarship though. I do not know which one to pick now. Do you guys think that guys think that my chances to get into a good PhD program are a lot better if I go to LSE? My problem with LSE is however, that I have not taken enough math classes on the undergraduate level and I do not think the rigid schedule at LSE would allow me to take any.

Internationalstudent08
03-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Hmm.... I don't want to sound too absolute, but I doubt you will find anybody to deny that your chances will be better if you go to lse. I don't know if money is a big issue for you, but just take a loan and go to lse. Having few math classes won't hurt your applications if you do well in the graduate classes, I think

fp3690
03-08-2008, 03:57 AM
Finance and Econ at LSE is very mathematical itself. You have to take the presessional course which, apparently, is a **itch like no other, much tougher than math camp (6-8 hours a day, 5 day a week for 3 weeks, and a daily assignment; although they are thinking of getting it to 4 weeks to lessen the load). So you will pick up lots of math stuff, especially if you pick the really hardcore finance options.

Mr.Keen
03-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Money problem aside, there is no comparison. Go to LSE.

Behaviourist
03-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Go to LSE. BUT learn as much math as you can before September. Take a summer session class if you can. Or just buy a book and teach yourself. Remember, the suggested math is multi-var calc (with some diff eq), lin alg, mathematical prob/stat (w/ calculus), and real analysis. Analysis is really the only course which cannot be self-taught (I should know; it's the only math class I actually attend!). Anybody here will give you good book recommendations for self-study.

rcwlhk
03-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Whoa..... even Real Analysis for LSE's MSc F&E program? I mean, yes you do need math but I don't think any where else on their web actually explicitly requires analysis. In fact, I don't think it even requires you to have some mathematical proof writing/reading skills.

Of course, of course, more is better.

PS. I might be just comforting myself here considering I'm heading over to LSE WITHOUT real analysis, but do have everything else that they want and a tad little more. I'm hoping I could select their "Functional Analysis" course later to pick up more pure maths / analysis math. :rolleyes:

Go to LSE. BUT learn as much math as you can before September. Take a summer session class if you can. Or just buy a book and teach yourself. Remember, the suggested math is multi-var calc (with some diff eq), lin alg, mathematical prob/stat (w/ calculus), and real analysis. Analysis is really the only course which cannot be self-taught (I should know; it's the only math class I actually attend!). Anybody here will give you good book recommendations for self-study.

fp3690
03-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Well you do take the same micro class as the MSc Econ people but I don't think you have to know analysis just yet. I think Lombardo, a member from last year who still lingers did F&E, ask him.

tennisboy85
03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the help. I will most likely accept LSE then, unless I get into JHU, which is very unlikely. I will try find some scholarships to pay for it.