PDA

View Full Version : OSU vs. BU

tjm7
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I got accepted to BU this morning so now I have a decision to make. Both offers are unfunded for the first year and after that OSU pretty much guaranteed funding from years 2-5. I haven't looked into the future funding situation at BU yet. I'm interested in public finance and labor. Any advice?

Valhalla
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Since TM is flooded by those threads these days (of course completely understandable and actually pretty interesting) I wanted to make a short general remark, which was mentioned pretty often already but it seems as if everybody ignores this comment ... so again:

I think it's completely useless to compare schools based on your current research interests. During the first year there is simply no time to follow your research interests and it's extremely likely that during the first year you encounter that another subject might be interesting for your further research.

I think comparisons should be based on potential future possibilities: i.e.: Placements... have a look at the placement records of both schools and compare their quality and also take into account if one of the departments is actively hiring additional faculty. if they are almost equivalent (unlikely) compare the quality of life in those different cities (climate, social activity-possibilities). If they are still equivalent compare the real purchasing power of the funding they provide. (http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html (http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html))

tjm7
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM
sorry I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was just asking for advice based solely on those areas. Does anyone have recommendations based on the schools and the surrounding areas? I know that Columbus is a cheap city especially compared to Boston so that is a plus. It would also be extremely helpful if, I know this might be a stretch, anyone went to either of these schools unfunded in their first years and could comment on their experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!