PDA

View Full Version : My Toefl Test

cinderellahn
08-14-2002, 04:32 AM
I took the Toefl test on this morning. The result is not too good, but not too bad as well.

Here is my score:
Listening: 26
Structure: 12 - 29
Reading: 26
Range: 213 -> 270

To tell the truth, I expected a higher score in the reading section :(.

My story…

I went to the test center a bit later than the required time because of the traffic congestion. However, it did not affect my performance on the test. The most terrible thing was that my heart wanted to jump out .

I went through the tutorial quite quickly, ‘cause it was exactly the same as in PowerPrep. After that came the Listening section. The headphone was good, I could hear the speakers clearly. However, because of my worries, I could not do the best in this section as well as the others. Try to avoid this when you take the test!!!

I have heard someone said that if your Listening section is short then your Reading section is long and vice versa. It is true! I had a short Listening section with 30 questions (with similar order as in PowerPrep). The time allotted for this section was 15 minutes. The Structure Section contained 25 questions in 19 minutes. And the last section had 55 questions (5 paragraphs) with 90 minutes allotted. The 2nd and 3rd sections are harder than I expected. Many questions made me confused.

My essay topic is topic 170 (wow, I have never tried this topic yet):
Groups or organizations are an important part of some people’s lives. Why are groups or organizations important to people? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.

I’m not sure about my essay. Just have to hope, now :(. However, Erin, I have 2 ideas to explain this importance, 1st is “we need to socialize with others” and 2nd is “we want to share our points of view, our likes and dislikes”. Are these ideas ok??? Oh, please tell me or I will be so worried.

All in all, my desired score is above 250. What do you think about my chance???

Waiting for your reply…

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
Kindness in giving creates love.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Vaya
08-14-2002, 06:10 AM
My dearest Cinderellahn,

Congratulations!

[goodjob]

I took the Toefl test on this morning. The result is not too good, but not too bad as well.

Your results are good! And don't doubt about it!

My essay topic is topic 170 (wow, I have never tried this topic yet):
Groups or organizations are an important part of some people’s lives. Why are groups or organizations important to people? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.

I’m not sure about my essay. Just have to hope, now :(. However, Erin, I have 2 ideas to explain this importance, 1st is “we need to socialize with others” and 2nd is “we want to share our points of view, our likes and dislikes”. Are these ideas ok??? Oh, please tell me or I will be so worried.

Well, you will never write an essay on every topic. It is a lottery. Your writing skills are awesome! Trully, I don't lie. Your ideas for this topic are good and I am positive that you will get the score of 5.5-6.0. There is no doubt about that. But let us know your score and your future (admission, visa, etc.), ok? And don't disapear as others...

All in all, my desired score is above 250. What do you think about my chance???

I am sure your score will be more than 260.

Best wishes, Renata

P.S. I crossed my fingers, legs and everything else that is crossable this morning praying for you :)

chaiyachoti
08-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi,
Congratulation to you. I think your essay score will be more than 5.0.
Your writing skill is pretty good As I have ever read your essays.

Don't worry too much. Your score will be 260 up.

Good Luck.

chaiyachoti

Erin
08-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Congrats, Cinderella!!
[dance][goodjob][dance]

I think your score is great. According to what you've said, you need 250, and will be happy with that, right? I should remind everybody here that the TOEFL is NOT an intelligence test, it is only a test of how much you've learned. Most people could continue studying forever and get a 300 over and over again, right? Many people in our group have studied English almost their whole lives, and naturally receive higher scores. Other people, on the other hand, have not studied English so intensively, so it's to be expected that their scores will not be as high.

You got one of the hardest TOEFL topics, but I'm sure that you will rise to the occasion!! From the work you've shown here in the groups, writing is perhaps your strong point, and I was always impressed with both your reasoning and your writing.

I think your points are great!! In fact, off the top of my head, I'd say that those are the two main points for that essay topic. So you can get some sleep tonight!! ;)

Great work, cinderella. Take a rest for a while, you deserve it. I hope that you will let us know when you get your final score and also keep in touch from time to time to let us know where you're going to study.

I think I speak for everybody when I say it was truly a pleasure to have you work with us. :D :D :D

Erin

Has TestMagic helped you a lot?

Please help others as they have helped you.

Amitha
08-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Hi cinderellahn,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got an awesome score.I'm sure you'll get 5.5 or 6.0 in your essay.Now that you are done with your TOEFL dont have any more sleepless nights ,thinking about the scores that you are going to get.Relax and have some fun before you go on to your next step(GRE,admissions,visa etc)

[goodjob]

cinderellahn
09-15-2002, 04:28 AM
Hi all!!!

After a worried month, I eventually received my official score!

My score:
Listening: 26
Structure/Writing: 28
Reading: 26
Essay rating: 5.5
Total: 267

I am happy and want to share with all of you!!! The only thing I can say now is THANK YOU ALL!!!

Thank you Erin, for your great web-site, for your willing to help others, for...... I couldn't have such a good essay score without your help!!!

Thank you Reneta. You are so so kind. We all always wait for your helpful replies. Thanks for praying for me. I promise I will do the same when you take the test. Be sure to tell me then. You know, I won't disappear ;), last month I just had to relax a bit and prepare for my coming school year, actually I had too many things to do :(. But now I come back :cool:.

Thank you Amitha, chaiyachoti, and all!!!

Vaya
09-15-2002, 07:03 AM
Great job cinderellah! And (I hope) welcome back!

Thank you for nice words and future support :)

Good luck in your school year and admission process. Be sure to inform us :)

All the best from the deepest corners of my heart! Renata

atnoon
09-15-2002, 10:29 AM
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Erin
09-15-2002, 05:27 PM
Great job!!

Cinderella, I was hoping that you'd get a 5.5 or a 6.0 on your essay. I really enjoyed reading your unusually sensitive insights and perspectives on the TOEFL topics.

You did a great job here, and so fast, too! I hope you will continue to participate in our discussions and that you will keep us updated with your admissions process. Remember, TestMagic does have a section for admissions essays and questions, too (although it hasn't been used at all yet).

Congrats again, Cinderella!! I'm so happy!! :) :D :)

wall
09-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Ciao CinderellaHN,

GREAT JOB!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Santanu
12-11-2002, 05:55 AM
Hi Erin,

I just took my TOEFL. My score range was 243-300.
I had taken my GMAT and had got a core of 700. My AWA score was 6.0.
So am pretty hopeful I might get 300 as well.
My question is:Does getting an AWA of 6.0 in GMAT and a TOEFL score of 300 help my cause? I am aiming to apply to top b schools in the US like Wharton, Kellogg etc.? Does it add some extra weight to my application?
Would really appreciate your input regarding this!
Others, pls. feel free to get in touch with regarding any query you might have regarding TOEFL.

Thanks and wish you all the best!
Santanu.