PDA

View Full Version : June test takers: Pharmacology

ncstate
08-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Hi, guys,

I heard a lot of you stressed the importance of pharmacology, a good portion of the questions are about pharmacology.

My question is, shall we spend a lot of time studying the CPR book chapter 13~16, or rather the CPR book chapeter 39~60? I just do not know what kind of pharmacology will be in the test.

Thanks,

pinky786
08-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi!

First of all you need to know the classification of the different group of drugs like under CVS e.g different classes of diuretices, b-blockers etc etc. That is just an example, then there mode of action and prominant side effects of different medicines and the reason of that side effect and while you do that pharmacology try to understand the structure of group structure and which is the functional group in that structure which is responsible for that particular effect, in that way you will cover not only the pharmacology but also the medicinal chemistry. If You see the chapter 13 to 16, the most important thing is the portion under the headings of CHEMISTRY, that explain if we replace different groups on structures or add groups what will happen, either it will loose its activity or there will be certain increase in activity like increase in alpha activity or beta activity.

I hope this will help you.

Goodluck.

pinky786

erytica
08-17-2008, 03:24 AM
So pinky,
Do we have to study CPR from chapter 39 to 60 or we replace it with Lippincott?

ncstate
08-17-2008, 03:43 AM
I sort of don't understand why people like Lippincott better than CPR. To me, CPR chapter 39~60 is much easier to read than Lippincott. I am not sure if these 2 are interchangable. Hope someone can answer this.

So pinky,
Do we have to study CPR from chapter 39 to 60 or we replace it with Lippincott?