PDA

View Full Version : Fellowship from Penn State : CSE PhD

ritendra
03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I have never posted in this forum though I have read the posts and they have often come of great help.

Received an admission from Pennsylvania State University at University Park for a PhD in CSE. They are offering me a TAship whcih covers everything and pays a stiped. Additionally, they are offering me a College of Engineering Fellowship. How do you think about this offer? How is PSU ? Anybpdy else in this forming going there this Fall ? I am yet to hear from the other universities, though. I really need some comments on Penn State , as this decision will cost me atleast the next 5 years of my life. Thanks :-)

Regards,
Ritendra Datta
India

Truman
03-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Congratulations!! PSU is a good school and the aid offer sounds fabulous. Penn state might be ranked lower than harvard or yale, but it is still a well know school and its on the east coast..the offer sounds excellent from all point of view.. may I know your profile??
-Tru

ritendra
03-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I actually have a very ordinary profile. I am from India and in my final year engineering undergraduate (Information Technology), GRE (1430 : Q800 V630 A5.0) TOEFL(293/300, 6.0) TSE (60/60). Undergraduate average 82% in 6 semesters so far. But then I guess my main advantage was my co-curricluars and undergraduate research. My SOP , I believe , was the strongest. The co-curriculars were very very specifc to my research interest (Theory and Computer Vision), and I guess my offer of fellowship is a recogntion of this focus (these college of engg. fellowships are supposedly very competitive and I wonder how they offered it to someone from a relatively unknown undergraduate institution).

jaideep
03-01-2004, 06:01 PM
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

PSU is really a good school. I believe co-curricular activities always help and you have just proved it right.

Jaideep

markiv
03-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Congrats Ritendra,

PSU is a real nice school with some internationally acclaimed labs in the CS dept. All the Best.

Originally posted by ritendra

Hi everyone,

I have never posted in this forum though I have read the posts and they have often come of great help.

Received an admission from Pennsylvania State University at University Park for a PhD in CSE. They are offering me a TAship whcih covers everything and pays a stiped. Additionally, they are offering me a College of Engineering Fellowship. How do you think about this offer? How is PSU ? Anybpdy else in this forming going there this Fall ? I am yet to hear from the other universities, though. I really need some comments on Penn State , as this decision will cost me atleast the next 5 years of my life. Thanks :-)

Regards,
Ritendra Datta
India

swetak28
03-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Congrats Ritendra

Awesome stats.All the best.

Mazdni
03-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi Ritendra,

First of all congratulations on your admission and fellowship. When did you get to know of your admission decision and how was it communicated to you ? I have also applied to PennState CSE for PhD and still waiting for the decision.

sunxcat
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey !
Penn State is a very good school for CS with some real good research work goin on there. Itz a costly school, but u've got a fellowship which is something great ! Hence, therez no need to worry...if u dont get a better admit, I mean an admit @ ivy-league school, dont ever hesitate to take his offer !!! wht other univs hav u apped to ? hey...i jus love yur tse score !!!

cheerz !

ritendra
03-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for all the praise. I received the admission and assistantship offer on 16th Feb via e-mail , though they have sent me an assistantship agreement form by mail too. Then they had said they have nominated me for a College of Engineering Fellowship and it would become knwon by March 5th . But they offered the fellowship (again by e-mail) on 24th Feb . I mailed the graduate officer John Hannan and they said they have offered PhD admits to only 16 students. Fellowship offers are I think 1-2. He said I was one of their top applicants . So it feels really good :-). Can't name the other universities in a public forum as yet coz I am yet to accept their offer. Thanks again.

Ritendra

queenbee
03-03-2004, 12:56 AM
sorry to post here but could you guy please suggest me some good university to apply for economics?

Thanks

thaiva
03-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Hey ritendra,:)

Just wanted to offer my congradtz to you and best of luck for the future.