Urch Forums

Phd in Brown/Darthmouth?

Hello everyone,

I am currently enrolled in the MS CS program at Georgia Tech and have a 4.0 GPA (completed first year of MS). I completed my undergrad from Computer Engineering at University of Waterloo (Honors and Distinction) with a 3.6 GPA.

I dont have any publications as of now but do have 2 years of work experience in research labs.

Do you guys think, I have a decent chance of getting into Brown/Darthmouth/Purdue/UIUC for Phd CS?

If not, what can I do in my 2nd year of MS CS program to boost my credentials so that my chances of getting into a good university increases.

thanks

Wow, you have been busy to get that 4.0 :)

I don't know how high your odds are without publishing a paper, but these guys didn't seem to have any publications before being admitted to UIUC though, like you, they had research experience:

http://index.cs.uiuc.edu/ppl/yongyang/resume_yongyang.pdf

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/86291-phd-cs-uiuc-admit.html

Of course, ideally, it would be great if you could turn a term paper into at least a poster paper before applications are reviewed in January or so, but, in any case, you are certainly on your way.

At Gatech there are three kinds of MS.

1) Course Based

2) Project Based

3) Thesis Based.

I am currently more inclined on the 2) option but that means staying an extra semester at Gatech and paying more $$$. Do you think if I opt for 1), it will still be sufficient for applying to Phd? OR is it that a course based MS is not looked upon as a good choice for getting into Phd?

Thanks.

Oh good. This is looking better and better :)

At Gatech there are three kinds of MS.

1) Course Based

2) Project Based

3) Thesis Based.

Well, even with the course based option, couldn't you take one or two indepedent study courses that may lead to at least a poster paper?

Certainly, you don't need the thesis option given your previous and upcoming research experience.

Yes, thats exactly what i was thinking. There is a Special Problem course which allows you to work with a professor for a semester. The professor assigns some project/work and the student performs some independent study on it.

So with these independent courses it puts my research profile in some decent shape.