Urch Forums

anyone know about cs master in The University of Chicago?

windyhwr

Just doing a quick Google search, I see they have a professional (applied) masters program in computer science. It doesn't require a CS background, so it's probably not too selective. However, each course costs over $4,000!

Computer Science Professional Program : Frequently Asked Questions

So I wouldn't recommend it because of the cost. (A much better value in that price range or less would be would be UIUC or Columbia University.)

BTW, what are your career interests? If you are more interested in implementation or business than computer science theory, an MS degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, Networking, Information Systems or Management Information Systems may be more appropriate than a traditional CS degree. On the other hand, a CS degree is very marketable for a wide range of technology jobs.

thank you for your reply so much,

My problem is that I dont have background in computer, I am always chemistry major(BS. MS), although I did learn some maths and computer basic. Some universities only admit the students who have the cs background.

My case is that I am a teaching assistance in a US university, I can take some courses with tuition waiving, but I don't know if I can take computer courses. Maybe my supervisor will not be happy if I take computer courses, so ...

Just doing a quick Google search, I see they have a professional (applied) masters program in computer science. It doesn't require a CS background, so it's probably not too selective. However, each course costs over $4,000!

Computer Science Professional Program : Frequently Asked Questions

So I wouldn't recommend it because of the cost. (A much better value in that price range or less would be would be UIUC or Columbia University.)

BTW, what are your career interests? If you are more interested in implementation or business than computer science theory, an MS degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, Networking, Information Systems or Management Information Systems may be more appropriate than a traditional CS degree. On the other hand, a CS degree is very marketable for a wide range of technology jobs.

Assuming you still like chemistry, you may be interested in computational chemistry:

Computational chemistry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheminformatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

As far are good computational chemistry PhD programs go, you likely won't find a specific program for this. Instead you need to look for specific faculty, or a concentration of those faculty in a particular department. Univ. of Minnesota (Chemistry) has a number of very strong faculty. University of Illinois has a strong computational biology group (google "NAMD"). There are also great faculty at places like Princeton (chemical engineering/chemistry), Cornell.

Some other ideas...if you google "Gaussian", "GAMESS", "CPMD" or "CP2K" (these are commonly used software packages), you should turn up a bunch of research groups working with ab initio calculations or plane wave DFT.

Science Careers: Career advice, job market news, alternative careers, discussion forum

Related to the physical sciences and computer science, there are graduate programs and courses in computational science:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/76458-profile-evaluation.html#post499037

There's also statistics:

Statistics and Chemistry

Some universities only admit the students who have the cs background.

Yes, most require at least 3-4 specific prerequiste computer science courses prior to admission. One exception is UT Dallas, which does require linear algebra prior to admission along with 2 semesters of calculus. (UT Dallas's admissions deadline isn't until May 1st for international applicants and, if I remember correctly, June 1st for domestic students.) Some other exceptions include lower-ranking schools like Utah State and University of Houston:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/79065-please-evaluate-my-profile-2.html#post517668

Also, there are other computer-related degrees like Information Systems that are more business oriented and generally have no prequisite course requirements.

My case is that I am a teaching assistance in a US university, I can take some courses with tuition waiving, but I don't know if I can take computer courses. Maybe my supervisor will not be happy if I take computer courses, so ...

Of course, computer science isn't like molecular biology where you need expensive lab equipment to learn things in a hands-on way. So it's possible to learn a good deal on one's own, especially in applied computer science like software development, database systems, information technology, etc. For example, a significant percentage of software developers and other IT people don't have a computer-related degree, and one way to learn software development is from Microsoft MSDN or Sun's Developer Network, depending on which platform one prefers (Microsoft .NET or Java).

For learning some computer science theory on one's own, there are free online video lectures:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/72131-advice-independent-studies.html