Urch Forums

Fulbright Scholarship - Does it help on acceptance?

Hi Everyone, I've been selected as a Fulbright Student (Foreign Program). Does this increase my chances of admission?

I have a CS engineering degree (5-year course) from Uruguay. I have a converted GPA of 3.8 or 3.9. GRE: Q750 (did not do well here :rolleyes: ) V620 and W5.0. iBT Toefl: 117 (30 wri, 30 list, 28 speak, 29 read) I plan to focus on the design of Groupware-mediated collaborative web tools.

I am applying to the following universities (for an M.S.):

MIT (Media Lab)

Columbia University

New York University

New Jersey Institute of Technology

Brandeis University

Northeastern University

Penn State - University Park

Polytechnic University NY

I have 3 published articles. Fulbright covers my living expenses but I need to find a tuition waiver.

5 year industry experience (worked while studying)

Can you please rate my chances?

Thanks

Mortimer

It raises your chances immensely. It's not the fact that you are partially funded as much as the fact that you have been singled out as being a "top dog":

Today, the Fulbright Programme is one of the most prestigious awards programmes world-wide, operating in 144 countries and with 51 commissions. More Fulbright alumni have won Nobel Prizes than those of any other academic programme, including two in 2002.

Fulbright Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia172172172

You should be able to get into all the univerities on your list. The only question I would have would be MIT's Media Lab. Regarding funding, I don't know but you seem to be the type of person that would attract at least a partial tuition waiver. Also, after the first semester, you are more likely to get a TA position if one is not offered to you initially.

Hi Ancalagon,

I applied to the following groups:

Physical Language Workshop

Sociable Media

Lifelong Kindergaten

To tell the truth, I'm not very optimistic about MIT, even though it clearly is the dream option. Apparently just a few students are accepted each year. Regarding the 5-year course, it seems reasonable to think it is equivalent to a masters degree but there is no official statement about this and thus I have to consider my degree as a BS. At least that's what they told me. What groups are you applying to?

Mortimer

Well, I applied to (in order of preference)

Sociable Media

Software Agents

Lifelong Kindergarten

:D lol... more or less similar. :D

I don't have a stellar profile like yours. (No fulbright, only 3 years experience, like you I also worked whilst studying. But, I have 9 publications and coauthored a book)

I am just harping on the fact that my sister used to work and research in the media lab and an alumni from my school is also working in it. Did you directly contact the professors like they said you should? Did they reply?

I have seen them scooting around my e-portfolio though. I am jittery. All they seem to be doing is to download my rock band videos and see them ... :(

If you are up to it, would you mind exchanging e-portfolio links in a private message?

Wow, thats coincidence. Amazing! You have great chances I believe. I'm sure that having friends on the inside can help. They haven't looked at my portfolio as far as I know at least from the MIT servers. I did try contacting but had no answer. Then the deadline came in and I heard that it was not ethically correct to contact them once the application was submitted. Is this true?

I have no problem exchanging e-portfolio links.

Great, I am pming you... Well, they encourage students to directly contact the faculty but since the media lab is a bit different from other courses, then I guess its ok to contact the faculty at every stage. (but I could be wrong)

Only Professor Donath contacted me back but she just encouraged me to apply saying that Sociable Media is one of the most difficult groups to get into.

• 3 months later...
It raises your chances immensely. It's not the fact that you are partially funded as much as the fact that you have been singled out as being a "top dog":

You should be able to get into all the univerities on your list. The only question I would have would be MIT's Media Lab. Regarding funding, I don't know but you seem to be the type of person that would attract at least a partial tuition waiver. Also, after the first semester, you are more likely to get a TA position if one is not offered to you initially.

Calmlogic,

Thanks for your advice back in Jan. I must say that what you predicted became true. I got into all of the schools except the media lab (which I heard accepted very few MS students). I also got tuition waivers from most schools. Now I am basically between Columbia or NYU and Northeastern. My wife got a scholarship from Northeastern which makes the budget difference between NY and Northeastern greater than 60K. I guess the debt is be too much so I'm inclined towards Northeastern. The university seems great, I wonder why it got ranked so low by USNews... (any idea?) Am I making the right choice? Thanks.

Mortimer

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...