Urch Forums

PhD in CS UIUC Admit :)

I got an admit from UIUC for PhD in CS with aid, after rejects from Stan and CMU.

Also got an admit from USC (wasn't sure where I stood, so applied as a safe bet)..

Waiting to hear from Caltech and Gatech. My area of interest is Distributed computing. In most of the rankings I have come across, I see UIUC being ranked better than Caltech and Gatech. What do you say?

I see UIUC being ranked better than Caltech and Gatech. What do you say?
I say congratulations because it is better :tup: and I am jealous :D

Not only does UIUC rank better than GA Tech and Caltech for computer science, it also ranks better for the computer science specialty "systems," with UIUC ranking #5, GA Tech ranking #13, and Caltech ranking #19:

USNews.com: America's Best Graduate Schools 2008: Computer Science: Systems (requires subscription)

Thanks everybody. I have received all the decisions by emails..

Here is my porfile:

GRE Quantitative: 800

GRE Verbal: 600

GRE Analytical/AWA: 4

AGRE: 820

TOEFL: 116

Acad. Info.: UG College: National Institute of Technology, Trichy

UG University: National Institute of Technology, Trichy

UG Department: Computer Science

UG Grade: 9.56(10 point scale)

Addn. info:

Overall topper in department. Topped all departments in First Year.

Misc. info:

* Did a good project under SURGE (Summer Undergraduate Research Grant for Excellence) in IIT Kanpur * Worked in Orkut team in Google Bangalore as a summer intern LoRs from HOD, Google Mentor and another dept HOD

I recently have heard that PhD@USC is a rare admit.:( I am confused. Can somebody share any info on this...

I recently have heard that PhD@USC is a rare admit.http://www.www.urch.com/forums/../images/smilies/frown.gif I am confused. Can somebody share any info on this...

Yes that's true, getting into the PhD program at USC is really tough, Unlike the MS program which is considered as safe choice for everyone.

But who needs USC when there is UIUC :D

• 1 year later...

Caltech or UIUC?! (PhD in Computer Science) Hi guys,

I face a similar case this year! I am an international student and am relatively new to this forum. I need an urgent help in deciding between CalTech and UIUC for a PhD program in computer science, systems division. (I have B.Sc degrees in both EE and CS).

Money is not the concern. Both schools offer a good financial support: 9 month fellowship in UIUC(2500$/month) and RA/fellow (28500$/year) in CalTech.

Here are the pros and cons:

- UIUC ranks higher in systems and a big advantage is that there, I am free to choose any advisor in both ECE and CS after the first year. The location and the wheather are not comparable to those of CalTech, though!

- Also since I guess CalTech is more selective, It might be the case that the graduates may have more chances (?!)

- Although Caltech is a very prestigious schools, it is very small and any PhD student there may only be able to choose between maximum 2,3 advisors. (At Caltech I am expected to be doing research on Networking).

Can you compare these two schools for me and make a suggestion?

I douby you will have a placement problem coming from either school.

If you have not visited yet, that might help you decide, as there's no substitute for actually visiting a department and getting a taste of the personalities of the department and your potential advisors.

In the end, you probably need to decide based on which school offers better advisors for your potential research area. Start reading papers from prospective advisors and try to decide if there are one or two that you are really drawn to.

If that still doesn't help, I would personally choose Cal Tech as I would prefer the smaller department (and Pasadena).