Urch Forums

ETS common practices- I couldn't take the GRE

etsmoneyback

Hi. I have a long story to tell. I feel that ETS (and thompsons-prometric) unfairly didn't let me take the GRE exam and wouldn't refund my money or help me in any way.

Please visit my blog http://etsmoneyback.blogspot.com/ and give it a read.

I think there must be someone else with this problem, and there must be some satisfactory solution.

The story begins here: http://etsmoneyback.blogspot.com/2007/01/first-post.html

• 1 month later...

Thank you for warning others about the following problem with test takers who have more than one last name:

I showed my ID to the guy in the counter and he verifies the list. I take a glance and I see my name on the list. He then turns to me and tells me: "I need an ID that shows only your first last name, since that is the way you signed up to take the test".

http://etsmoneyback.blogspot.com/

Assuming it is too late to dispute the credit card charge (which you were understandably reluctant to do), I would mostly do nothing and would move on since a lawsuit would not be worth your time and energy.

However, just for the sake of it, I would file a "business complaint" with the Better Business Bureau, which is a relatively easy, online procedure:

http://complaints.bbb.org

I would include my test registration number in the complaint along with the test date. Supposedly, 70% of those who file a business complaint with the BBB get resolution, but I doubt that is the case, especially when complaining against ETS about this matter.

ETS seems to be very principled about the matter you are complaining of since they use the following language in one of their forms in the GRE registration booklet: "Last name as on photo ID document" (form on pg. 17). I'm just mentioning this to show why ETS is not going to refund your money. I still think they owe you a refund since they should have been more explicit about this matter, especially since you signed up online, which is a favor to them that make into a penalty since you are then less likely to read the registration booklet. They do say on page 2 of the registration booklet that one will be turned away from the testing center if the name on the registration and the name on the photo ID do not match, but I think there's a lot of interpretation as to what they mean by "match." And I think it's absurd that they won't even provide a discount on re-registration since they know this is an issue with legitimate test takers.

Anyway, if you still are hungry for resolution, the best possible source of remedy is to take your complaints to the top of ETS by asking to talk to a high-ranking manager:

I finally got fraustrated and I emailed the President of the company directy. I wasn't sure if it was going to make any difference but I did. I got a call from one of the managers the following day after I sent my email.

ETS Sucks!!!!

Thanks for your suggestions.

It did cross my mind to dispute the charge with the credit card company, but I desisted on the idea, since they could later decide to cancel my previous results.

I will seriously consider both your suggestions (complaining to the BBB and writing directly to a high ranking manager, if I can get a hold of the address). At this point I guess there's not much I can do, but we'll see. I'll post any updates on the blog.

Thanks

Today, I saw one student who wanted to take the TOEFL iBT but did not have a passport. The test proctors there told him to bring it to show them later. Otherwise, the score will not be reported. He used his U.S. I.D..

I saw this happening many times. Usually. test proctors will not allow you to take the test but may postpone the test date to a later date. It depends on how nice they are.

I hate ETS. :mad:

• 3 years later...

I know this is kinda an older post, but I recently took the GRE and had a similar situation. I was denied admission to the test because my two last names were not on my application. Initially I had to pay twice but I fought it and got a refund! I looked at other forums and no one has really elaborated on how they got their refund. I hope my approach helps anyone else in this situation.

First of all. To get a refund on this matter I had to call ETS directly to get a refund at 866-473-4373. Prometric would could not authorize the refund. Prometric gave me the runaround

My winning argument was that the online application only allows you to input 3 names and there were no directions for those with 2 last names.

If I put all 4 of my names (first, middle, last, 2nd last) the confirmation would automatically omit one name in the section where you confirm all your information is correct on the next page. The only way I got it to work is if I omitted my middle name, then both my last names would show up. I got into the test with the approach. This is a flaw because in the application directions it specifically says that the name you put must match your identification and only having part of your name is not a match.

ETS made a case in which someone would review my argument and either deny or accept my refund request. After about 1 week they told me it was approved. They still gave me the run around though.

I got a full refund for my online GRE test. This process was very upsetting and inconvenient. Just be persistent and don't take no for an answer. This is a flaw in their system which students should not have to pay the extravagant amount for.

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...