Urch Forums

GRAMMAR: Difference between "towards" and "toward"

Erin

But Erin, can you please tell me what is the difference between "toward" and "towards"?

Raghuveer.

Hello, guys! This is a question that so many people ask me. It's important to know because you might see a question with toward in it. This type of question therefore indirectly tests you on this knowledge.

There is no difference (at least in meaning). Same with all those other words that end in ward--forward, backward, upward, northward, etc.

The consensus among grammarians and people who love English is that using these words without the s is slightly more formal than using these words with the s.

You will notice in all ETS publications, these words appear without the s.

Again, the reason you should know this is that many people think that the word should be used with the s and that it's incorrect without the s. This confusion could cost you a point on the test!!

The bottom line: On the TOEFL both forms are acceptable.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Hello, guys! This is a question that so many people ask me. It's important to know because you might see a question with toward in it. This type of question therefore indirectly tests you on this knowledge.

There is no difference (at least in meaning). Same with all those other words that end in ward--forward, backward, upward, northward, etc.

The consensus among grammarians and people who love English is that using these words without the s is slightly more formal than using these words with the s.

Again, the reason you should know this is that many people think that the word should be used with the s and that it's incorrect without the s. This confusion could cost you a point on the test!!

The bottom line: On the TOEFL both forms are acceptable.

phewww.. i wud have lost a point if had not read this old post...

i'm just gonna dig awayy:tup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Usage Note: Some critics have tried to discern a semantic distinction between toward and towards, but the difference is entirely dialectal. Toward is more common in American English; towards is the predominant form in British English.

taken from the American Heritage Dictionary

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...