Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GMAT Sentence Correction: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition...

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Re: growth of the railroads

Sponsored Ad:
    Sorry for the late reply; I've been kind of sick for the last week or so.

I'm going to try to answer the questions one by one so I don't get confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by khushi2020
    The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Here the verb is 'led'...so it is 'led to the abolition of local times and to the establishment of regional times'.
    So the phrase 'which....city' is a participle phrase?
    Actually, it's not a phrase (phrases lack a subject and a verb) but a clause (clauses are basically sentences--they have a subject and a verb), but I'm not so sure that this is terribly important at the moment.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Correct option - determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and differing

Here 'determined' is the past participle (used because times is the object of determined as it answers the question 'what was determined when the sun reached the meridian?') and 'differing' is the present participle (used because times is the subject of differed as it answers the question 'what differed from city to city?')
    Yes, you seem to have the idea of subjects and objects. Notice your test questions are using passive (What was determined...?) and active voice (What differered...?). This way, if it makes sense to you, should work just fine.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Thumbs up Re: growth of the railroads

If D were written like this:

which was determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and differed

it would be fine. Then determined and differed would be parallel

Almost! You're right that we need a finite verb in here to make the elements parallel, but it's not determined and differed that are parallel; it's was determined and differed (they are both verbs/verb phrases).

Is this still a participle phrase? Is 'times' still the object of 'determined' and subject of 'differed'?
    A participial phrase, to put it simply, is just a group of words that starts with a participle (eating only once a day, taken just before bedtime, lost in the woods, spending more money than he should, etc.). And yes, the subjects and objects don't change.

Nice job! It seems you've figured these things out for yourself, but feel free to ask again for clarification.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Ok so my head is spinning from looking at this thread again and again. Can somebody explain to my why E, the official answer is better than C.
    RD

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Arrow Re: growth of the railroads

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and differing
    Quote Originally Posted by rd_eastbay
    Ok so my head is spinning from looking at this thread again and again. Can somebody explain to my why E, the official answer, is better than C?
    If C were correct as written (which is possible grammatically), it would mean this:
    The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and which were differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.
    In other words, which were determined would be parallel with which were differing; or, if it were "reduced," determined and differing would be parallel.

I think you'll agree that the verb tense of which were differing is incorrect, so C is out.

☼ Waiting for Godot

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks Erin. I understand now; looking at this with a fresh mind helps too.

So if (C) were

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and which differed from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Then the sentence would be correct. Right??

Once again, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and differing

If C were correct as written (which is possible grammatically), it would mean this:
    The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and which were differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

In other words, which were determined would be parallel with which were differing; or, if it were "reduced," determined and differing would be parallel.

I think you'll agree that the verb tense of which were differing is incorrect, so C is out.
    RD

Good post? Yes | No

Answering my own question, having looked at Erin's pointer to an earlier thread. Indeed the sentence quoted below is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by rd_eastbay
    Thanks Erin. I understand now; looking at this with a fresh mind helps too.

So if (C) were

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observerís meridian and which differed from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Then the sentence would be correct. Right??

Once again, thanks a lot!
    RD

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Nice job! It seems you've figured these things out for yourself, but feel free to ask again for clarification.
    Thank you. I am truly complacent and wouldn't have taken the initiative to understand this better if you hadn't motivated me in the following sentence. (I hope this sentence is grammatically correct).

If that doesn't clear up your doubts, could you kindly explain to me in detail what's confusing you? It'll be a lot easier for me to explain if I know what's causing you trouble.
    This is a great forum. I have learnt so much here....

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

So everybody's happy now? Wonderful. Let me savor the moment, LOL.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Hard GMAT Question: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times

hi cc2005,

thanks for your reply.

oh! so, should I understand that while "determined" is parallel with "differing" (based on "times" being object first and subject next), "which were determined" cannot be parallel with "differing" because it would then imply "which were differing" - a wrong usage.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information