Urch Forums

Finding financial aid at Univ. of Minnesota.

tashkenty

Hello, dear TMians!

I have a big problem in finding for scholarships/fellowships/assistantships at the School of Public Health at the University of Minnesota. I have tried desperately contacting numerous professors for any assistantship possibilities, but I've been unsuccessful in receiving positive replies from them.

I will appreciate any information that you can share, dear TMians. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tashkenty

Hello, dear TMians!

I have a big problem in finding for scholarships/fellowships/assistantships at the School of Public Health at the University of Minnesota. I have tried desperately contacting numerous professors for any assistantship possibilities, but I've been unsuccessful in receiving positive replies from them.

I will appreciate any information that you can share, dear TMians. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tashkenty

Try emailing the professors in other departments. For example, I've heard of Econ Ph.D students finding RAships in departments like Mathematics, Statistics, and Public Affairs. I'm not familiar with Public Health but maybe try emailing professors in somewhat similar fields. Good luck!

Hello scheng75, dingus and awhig!

I have tried writing to professors from the Chemistry, Envi Sci, Biosci and Neurochem depts, but no positive replies so far.

I'm running out of ideas:-( But I'm still hopin for the best...

Thanks for all your help,

Tashkenty

Hello scheng75, dingus and awhig!

I have tried writing to professors from the Chemistry, Envi Sci, Biosci and Neurochem depts, but no positive replies so far.

I'm running out of ideas:-( But I'm still hopin for the best...

Thanks for all your help,

Tashkenty

You mean, your e-mails were replied by Profs? If so, what did they reply?

Hello, awhig!

Some of the profs replied by saying "I don't have any openings at this time." Others say "Please check back by Fall." Some are on leave.

I would love to study at UMN, however, I may not be able to study there if I am not offered any scholarship or assistantship. I hope assistantships there come with full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. I am willing to work for it. It's just so hard to look for such an opportunity...

I am still hoping for the best. I hope God will give me a chance to study there...

Thanks to you, testmagicians. You guys are awesome.

Sincerely,

Tashkenty

............I have tried writing to professors from the Chemistry, Envi Sci, Biosci and Neurochem depts..........

hey!!! how can you write to people(profs) from all these varied depts.......what is ur specialization??? correct me if i am wrong RAship is a research job which gets you paid + gets you experience in your field or the affiliated fields.......then how come you can apply or get jobs (RAships) in all these depts.......have you graduated in interdisciplinary sciences????

A generic question: How to proceed for asking for scholarship/RAship from your prospective professor? What to write? About us or of our interest?.......

.......I'm running out of ideas:-( But I'm still hopin for the best...

:idea: while writing to profs emphasizing on your previous research work, what do you think (in terms of future goals) of their on-going research projects---> like other approaches to solve the given problem, what you intend to do if given chance in their lab..........this should definitely boost you chances of getting RAship (if not RAship, definitely you can get their attention ) this has helped me a lot in my quest........me too, used to write very very generalized mails, previously, copy-paste a general format to all the profs, i felt working with.......but, later on realized my mistake........

in short, try writing custom-made mails to each prof!!!!

all the best!!!!!

Hello, moonlight!

I am a licensed chemist in my country. I also have a strong background in the biological sciences, since I'm a Biochemistry major. I also opted for the environmental sciences since I have been an Industrial Hygienist for 3 years. Being an Industrial Hygienist enabled me to get exposed to various environmental policies & legislations, and the chemistry of air and water pollutants.

Thank you very much for your suggestion in customizing my letter sent to the profs. I'm really exerting tremendous efforts by looking into the prof's researches and harmonizing them with my interests, educational background and experience. I am just slowly losing hope at times because I keep trying and trying, but I receive no positive replies. I just wish God will give me more energy, courage, strength and determination to go on...

Again, thank you and I look forward to hear from u again soon.

Regards,

Tashkenty

...............have a strong background in the biological sciences, since I'm a Biochemistry major. .............. environmental policies & legislations, and the chemistry of air and water pollutants.

hi tashkenty, though i am from the related field i did confess i know little about environmental policies & legislations and other related areas......ya, i agree your educational background and experience makes you eligible for applying to the above mentioned depts, but try to narrow down your search and be focused.......

......I'm really exerting tremendous efforts by looking into the prof's researches and harmonizing them with my interests, educational background and experience.......

keep trying because at times profs just don't reply immediately, they take their own sweet time in replying your mails.........or at times they keep your mails and contact you when they have got proper/enough funding......

.....I am just slowly losing hope at times because I keep trying and trying, but I receive no positive replies. I just wish God will give me more energy, courage, strength and determination to go on.......

don't lose hopes so soon, man!!!! life is a continuous struggle so keep trying and you'll reap rewards soon !!!!! :tup:

• 1 month later...

Hi, all:

I am a freshamn to this site.

I am in the same situation. I also have the big problem in finding for assistantships at the CS Dept. at the Univ. of Minnesota. The same as tashkenty, I also have tried contacting professors for any opportunities, but I've not received positive replies. Three months ago, I made an "email broadcast". Surely, it's a bad idea! After recognizing the mistakes that I made, I carefully studied the prospective professors' web pages as well as papers, and then sent email one by one (of course, only those professors whose research interests me) . However, those "customized emails" didn't work either!

I have no doubt about my ability to do research since I am a proficient programmer having a couple years experience in ASP.NET(C#)/Java. Recently, I started sensing possible suspection of my capability to promote myself or convince professors that I will be qualified RA.

Could you, great testmagicians, please give me some advices on how to contact professors for finding assistantships?

Thanks. I'll sincerely appreciate your any suggestions!

I'm also trying to apply for assistantships in other departments, like in Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering, but I'm not sure about this for they limit their assistantship offers to the students who major in their department...

Will really appreciate replies from you TMians. Thanks...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hi tashkenty... try the following links::

For FAFSA form: www.fafsa.ed.gov/(To be considered for all types of aid at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, complete each year the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

For financial aid eligibility and other information: http://onestop.umn.edu/onestop/financialaid.html

hope this helps!!

have a nice day and all the best for your admissions!!