Urch Forums

apply for internship without having the FPGEC certificate

bioengineering

Dear friends,

I have passed the FPGEE as well as the IBT and am waiting for the FPGEE certificate. In the meantime, can I apply for internship positions to companies while waiting for the certificate??

My second question is, is there any state where I can apply for intern license without actually having the FPGEE certificate??

Thanks everybody.

Hi !!!!

In Florida you can apply for the internship before FPGEE and TOEFL iBT, as I did and got my intern licence.

As I know, also in Michigan is the same, you can call to their board and inquire.

Hi FloridaPH2009,

I have worked as a technician for a year in Florida, and I did not apply for my intern license because my district manager said that they do not accept interns without FPGEC. Do you know any company in Florida that will not request FPGEC?

I passed FPGEE in Dec 2008, and I will take TOEFL next month, but there is a guy that was working with me that passed FPGEE two years ago and has not passed TOEFL yet. He has been working as a technician and I feel sorry for him - and for me as well, because we are not counting the hours we have been working towards the amount of hours we will be required to work after getting the intern license.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance. God bless you all.

Hello

I tried to apply in big chains but no luck !!!!!

Walgreens does not hire foreign graduate interns at all in Florida

I started trying in private pharmacies in my area.

It did work. So mavbr you shoud tryi that also!!!!

But if you have passed FPGEE, try Publix, Winn Dixie, and other stores also!!!

Good Luck!!!!;)

Hello

Good Luck!!!!;)

Thank you so much for your prompt response FloridaPH2009. :tup:

I am living overseas since Aug 2008, and they do not have TSE or iBT here, that is why I have not taken it yet. I will try to apply for an intern position in Florida from here but I am sure it will be more difficult. Also I want to contact that guy I was working with and let him know that he can do the same. He was taking TOEFL every month for two years, but I think he lost hope. :(

Do you know what is the salary range for interns in Florida, and if it depends on FPGEC or not?

Thank you so much again for your help! God bless you! :)

You can apply for the intern licence and actually you have to call to the board of pharmacy to find out about the issue you have, as an intern you will get mostly 11-15 $/Hour as a graduate intern , which means with FPGEC certificate you will get abou 35 $ per hour, and also the internship hours in FL are 208o.

You can apply for the intern licence and actually you have to call to the board of pharmacy to find out about the issue you have, as an intern you will get mostly 11-15 $/Hour as a graduate intern , which means with FPGEC certificate you will get abou 35 $ per hour, and also the internship hours in FL are 208o.

I e-mailed the board of pharmacy today after reading your post. Thank you! As for the TOEFL, I will have to take it in Miami when I go there.

What a shame I did not apply for my intern license before! I could have worked at least half-year as intern, since I got my eligibility confirmation for FPGEE in January 08. I could have had my hours counted, and I would probably had made more money (I was getting $10/h as a tech).:mad: I asked so many people about it when I was working, but I had bad luck, because everybody told me that I would need to pass FPGEE and TOEFL first in order to get an intern job in Florida... and I believed it! :doh:

I will try to find out if I can have some of these hours deducted from the 2080 h requirement. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much again for your help!

Hi Jaken,

I have an internship license since Last Feb before I took FPGEE. I started looking for internship in Jan 09 because I was in the maternity period. I tried the large retail pharmacy corporations( you may know these stores, but I just don´t want to name them). I haven´t passed TOEFL yet even though I have been living in the states since 2002. I am obviously so frustrated. Actually, I am in Rhode Island. My state requires FPFEC. Thatś why I registered in MA instead. No luck so far.

Yeh, we can help each other out for this matter if you want too and I hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Smakmee,

We are on the same boat. I passed FPGEE and no TOEFL yet. I just registered with MA board of pharmacy for internship. I started looking for internship this month too. I submitted resumes to the big chain of pharmacies around but no response yet. One recruiter offered me in Lebanon,NH hospital pharm. They are willing to accept intern with sign-on bonus and relocation expenses paid. It is too far and I have family so I did not accept it yet. Right now I am just going to concentrate on my TOEFL. It is really hard to find job now because of the recession. Goodluck to us!

Hi Smakmee,

I am planning to take TOEFL on Feb 21. I failed speaking on my first try. I am very disappointed with ETS. I have been practicing pharmacy in Canada for 5 years. In Canada, IELTS is accepted. I wonder why it is not here in the States. Pharmacy practice is much better there than here. The only reason I move here in the States is my family. I have to go through these exams again. Well, Goodluck to us!

Hi smakmee and Jaken

I am also from Massachusetts. I have just passed FPGEE in Dec 08.

Could you please tell me how you got your intern license. Where did you apply for this license ? Is it right that i can apply for the intern license without having my TOEFL?

Please provide me with some information about this

Hi Smakmee,

I am planning to take TOEFL on Feb 21. I failed speaking on my first try. I am very disappointed with ETS. I have been practicing pharmacy in Canada for 5 years. In Canada, IELTS is accepted. I wonder why it is not here in the States. Pharmacy practice is much better there than here. The only reason I move here in the States is my family. I have to go through these exams again. Well, Goodluck to us!

Hi, what do you mean by that the pharmacy practice is better in Canada?(what makes it better?) Can you explain more about it? As far as I know, the pay rate is better in US.

Hi Aussiepharmer,

In Canada, the licensure exam consists of parts I (Multiple choice) and II (Objective Structured Clinical Examination or OSCE). OSCE is to test candidates on both communication skills and pharmaceutical knowledge. It is a simulation of a pharmacy setting wherein there is an actor, being a patient, a doctor or a caregiver, presenting problem and the candidate, being the pharmacist, has to solve the problem by giving advice or recommending OTC for example. It consists of around 12 stations and it is timed per station. The assessors are licensed pharmacists. I truly believe that this is a better way to test communication skills for pharmacists and not the 26 passing score for TOEFLibt in the US. Same as here, there is a shortage of pharmacists in Canada and they pay up to $100 an hour plus mileage for relief works. Canadian and US dollars were almost the same but not sure now because of the economy. I am looking forward though to be a licensed pharmacist in the US. I was just frustrated with the TOEFLibt. I am waiting for the rescore report in the mail. I hope they will consider IELTS. In IELTS, you talk to real people and not the computer.

Hi Nissi08,

Yes, you can register for MA internship with just the EE number from NABP. Marvel135 gave you the link. It takes only up to 3 days to process it from the day PCS receives it. I suggest though to take the TOEFLibt asap. They still prefer to hire FPGEC certificate holder for internship. Goodluck!

All,

My experience of applying for internship is most of hospitals accept only interns from US colleges. They said they concern about liability. I guess we can apply for only retail stores where they are hiring only foreign graduates who already have FPGEC. Good luck all.

Hello

Good Luck!!!!;)

Hi,

Even I have passed my fpgee exam dec 2008 and will b appearing for toefl ibt feb end.

I received my intern license. I agree with u totally Walgreens r not hiring any interns.

How can I contact a private pharmacy store?

thanks.

Hi, I am a graduate from the Philippines. I would like to inquire what else would most pharmaceutical require aside from the FPGEE certificate? and also, should I be the one who calls for the board for a license to practice as an intern? Thanks. :)

Hi MDpharma,

You check with the State where you want to practice. Usually you need to apply for intern license after receiving the FPGEC certificate. Some states do not require intern license. Start contacting pharmacies if you need sponsorship. They require FPGEC cert and intern license.