Urch Forums

Analysis Of An Issue - Good writers, please provide your view on my writing

Topic: -

“To encourage successful cooperation and collaboration among employees, companies should give salary raises and bonuses to teams rather than to individuals.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree

My Answer: -

Employees are the backbone of any company and it’s the moral duty of a company to take care of the employee’s needs. In my opinion, for a company to stay competent in the market, it should encourage successful co-operation and collaboration among its employees and to achieve that it should give salary raises and bonuses to the team members and not to the teams.

A company forms teams mainly from organization perspective with a view to streamline the reporting structure and to facilitate an environment that would encourage innovative ideas. Hence the word “team” is just a logical grouping of its employees. It is the individual’s effort, mental as well as physical that contributes to a company’s growth. Thereby, it seems logical and imperative for a company to acknowledge an individual’s effort by way of pecuniary benefits as that is an important incentive for an employee.

Consider the case of information technology services companies, which had consistently featured among the ones having the highest attrition rates. An analysis of the high attritions rates revealed that a majority of the employees quit the company because they did not see the realization of their efforts in the company by way of monetary benefits. These companies used reward at a team level, as any software project would require a pool of members to execute it. They failed to realize the fact that within a team you could always have a few members who actually contributed to the project whereas a large number of them might have stayed idle.

Opponents of my view may argue that by providing bonuses to individual team members, one may instigate a sense of competition among them rather than co-operation and collaboration. But I opine that for a team to be productive, there needs to be a balance of collaboration and competition within the team. It is this competition within the team that would make every member of the team responsible and accountable for his/her acts. And it is these individual efforts when collected together would make the team shine out.

Hence, I conclude that a company should give salary raises and bonuses to individuals rather than to the teams.

• 3 weeks later...