Urch Forums

Good cooks

rajatmeh

Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using extravagantly rich ingredients in elaborate recipes. Some good cooks can be characterized as fast-food cooks. They may use rich ingredients as long as the recipes are easy to follow and take little time. Other good cooks are health food enthusiasts, who are concerned primarily with the nutritional value of food. But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food.

If the information in the passage is true, which one of the following CANNOT be true?

(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients.

(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook.

© More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients.

(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.

(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.

My pick is D.

"But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food."

The above statement means: Good Cook -> Enjoy preparing and serving food.

Also, Good Cook MAY or MAY NOT be a Big Eater.

Let's assume we have 5 good cooks. Then the number of good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food (X) will be 5. Whereas, the number of good cooks who are big eaters(Y) will be

So, X can never be less than Y and hence, D can never be true.

My pick is D.

"But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food."

The above statement means: Good Cook -> Enjoy preparing and serving food.

Also, Good Cook MAY or MAY NOT be a Big Eater.

Let's assume we have 5 good cooks. Then the number of good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food (X) will be 5. Whereas, the number of good cooks who are big eaters(Y) will be

So, X can never be less than Y and hence, D can never be true.

Using the same explanation quoted above big eater Good cooks (Y), who are Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts, can be equal to 5. That is, all can be big eaters.

So, E can not necessarily be FALSE and hence, can not be the answer.

Hope it helps.

The confusion with (E) is that it just says "Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts" and not good cooks....

Gourmet cooks = GOOD Gourmet cooks + BAD Gourmet cooks

same for others types of cooks

Also the stimulus says "But even though not all good cooks are big eaters..." I interpret this as that if good cooks are 5 then big eaters can never be 5 it has to be

This means (E) can never be true.

The confusion with (E) is that it just says "Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts" and not good cooks....

Gourmet cooks = GOOD Gourmet cooks + BAD Gourmet cooks

same for others types of cooks

Great point rajatmeh !! Sorry, I missed this point.

Also the stimulus says "But even though not all good cooks are big eaters..." I interpret this as that if good cooks are 5 then big eaters can never be 5 it has to be

This means (E) can never be true.

Hmmm good point again :). Thanks !!!

But, if all the cooks mentioned: Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts, are all BAD cooks then they all can be big eaters.

I myself am not happy with my explanation :(

But, if all the cooks mentioned: Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts, are all BAD cooks then they all can be big eaters.

Well actually you have made a point here and I think it is justified, what if all cooks are BAD cooks? good point

Thanks.

I still think it's E. Time taken 1:55.

OA please. Average passage, but hellacious answer choices.

Just noticed the OA is D??!?!?! Looked it over, it makes sense....but I still like E too. GMAT questions about food are just designed to make you hungry and distract you from the test.

• 1 year later...

E - clearly out on account that passage states that not all of the good cooks are big eaters !

B - it can be , we don't know it still from the PASSAGE, that only good cooks enjoy and only good cooks prepare , therefore they compose word " everyone who enjoy " !

answer is D ! clearly stated all good cooks enjoy , but not all are big eaters !

• 1 month later...

This is why E cannot be the answer:

E says that (E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters

However, the stimulus says "Some good cooks are gourmet cooks ... Some good cooks can be characterized as fast-food cooks...Other good cooks are health food enthusiasts"

Note that apart from these three group of cooks, some other cooks (that are not mentionned in the stimulus) may exist!! the text never convey the contrary!!

so GOOD COOK is the sum of gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks , health food enthusiasts AND POSSIBLY SOME OTHER TYPE OF (good) COOKS !!!

Now, when the stimulus say "But even though not all good cooks are big eaters...",

it may be, as (E) says, that "Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.", since other types of cooks could be qualified as "Good cooks" AND, in this case, one would conclude that those good cook category (that are not mentionned in the text) are those who are not big eaters, and only them.

Hence, (E) could be true and cannot be the answer!

HTH

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
All of them like serving food is at least one of them is not a big eater. There is no way that you could have more cooks who are big eaters than cooks who enjoy serving food. Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are not the ONLY kind of good cooks. They could all be big eaters, but there are other varieties of good cooks who are not big eaters, so E could be true.