Urch Forums

Smoke-detecting fire alarms

Bill: Smoke-detecting fire alarms can save lives. I believe that every apartment in this city should be required by law to be equipped with a smoke detector.

Joe: I disagree with your proposal. Smoke detectors are just as important for safety in private houses as they are in apartment.

From this exchange, it can be inferred that Joe has interpreted Bill’s statement to mean that

(A) the city should be responsible for providing smoke detectors for apartments

(B) residences outside the city should not be equipped with smoke detectors

© only apartments should be equipped with smoke detectors

(D) the risk of fire is not as great in private houses as it is in apartments

(E) the rate of death by fire is unusually high in the city in question

• 2 weeks later...

Bill: Smoke-detecting fire alarms can save lives. I believe that every apartment in this city should be required by law to be equipped with a smoke detector.

Joe: I disagree with your proposal. Smoke detectors are just as important for safety in private houses as they are in apartment.

From this exchange, it can be inferred that Joe has interpreted Bill’s statement to mean that

© only apartments should be equipped with smoke detectors

(D) the risk of fire is not as great in private houses as it is in apartments

D => Eventhough the risk of fire in private homes is not as great as it is in apts, it could be great enough to warrant the installation.

Hence, only C explains Joe's response without any doubt.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
Though options C & D are too close, option C is the correct answer. Inappropriate interpretation on the basis of comparative risk of fire in private houses vs. apartments is not a flaw in Joe's statement. Since Bill talks about the LAW for apartments, Joe presumes that Bill means a law only for apartments.