Urch Forums

Data Sufficiency - Sets question

shyam619

The following question is from a GMAT preparation book by a reputable publishing house. The answer to this question, according to the book, is B but I think it is E. My reason is that in a Set the smallest number does not also have to be the first number.

Thoughts?

Question:

What is the range of Set S?

(1) The median of Set S is 12

(2) The lowest term in Set S is the smallest prime number and the largest term in Set S is equal to the square of the first term multiplied by 7.

(A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

(B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

© BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

(D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient

(E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.

• 1 month later...
The following question is from a GMAT preparation book by a reputable publishing house. The answer to this question, according to the book, is B but I think it is E. My reason is that in a Set the smallest number does not also have to be the first number.

Thoughts?

I agree. The answer should be E

The question is poorly worded (e.g., "lowest term") and, judging from their official answer of B, it makes a huge assumption that the numbers in Set S are arranged in ascending order.

If we don't make the assumption that the numbers in Set S are arranged in ascending order, then here are two possible sets:

{2,3,12,17,28} Range = 26

{3,2,12,17,63} Range = 61

Cheers,

Brent

• 4 months later...
I agree. The answer should be E

The question is poorly worded (e.g., "lowest term") and, judging from their official answer of B, it makes a huge assumption that the numbers in Set S are arranged in ascending order.

If we don't make the assumption that the numbers in Set S are arranged in ascending order, then here are two possible sets:

{2,3,12,17,28} Range = 26

{3,2,12,17,63} Range = 61

Cheers,

Brent

I'm guessing that "first" should say "lowest".