Urch Forums

Gmat prep rc

Even I was confused betwen C and D.Let me give a shot at why OA is C.

The question asks about the reason for duplication, which we immdediately go back to "streamlining the services...". But the reason for duplication and ultimatelu streamlining the services is to maintain the "priority" which can be taken from the 3rd sentence " Theory suggests that .... than in making money..".

Experts plz let us know of I am right in my analysis.

First of all, I'm assuming you meant to say that the OA is D. singalong is right that the topic of the paragraph is related to whether nonprofit hospitals are more or less financially efficient than for-profit hospitals. Thus, the purpose of mentioning duplication between departments is ultimately to show one way in which nonprofit hospitals are less than maximally financially efficient.

There is another clue that D is a better answer than C. C begins with the language "recommend a particular change..." This language implies that the author believes nonprofit hospitals should eliminate duplication between departments. However, the author of this passage is reviewing literature on the topic of nonprofit vs. for-profit hospitals, not making recommendations. Nowhere in the passage does the author weigh in on the subject. The language in D "suggest a way..." does match the fact that the author is giving an example. In both tone and substance, D is the better answer.

Dave Mahler

Manhattan GMAT Instructor