Sponsored Ad:

Thread: gerund in parallelism

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

gerund in parallelism

Sponsored Ad:
    Qn:784 (1000 SC)

The nation’s three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
    (B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
    (C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies
    (D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
    (E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting

SPOILER: Given OA: A. I see there are no better answer choices than A, but according to MGMAT SC guide, a 'simple gerund' can NOT be parallel to a noun/noun-phrase. Isn't increasing tution costs a simple gerund, which is incorrectly placed in parallel to other two noun-phrases?? I was hoping for an option with: .., increase in tution costs.. THOUGHTS..?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    anybody? Erin/Brent, can you please give your thoughts on this?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    (A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
    (B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
    (C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies
    (D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
    (E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting

all three 1.resurgence of patriotism, 2.increased tuition costs and 3.improved recruiting are factors that fueled whatever are parallel all three work as nouns so its a fine choice

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    its increasing tuition costs, not increased tuition costs. the former is a simple gerund while latter is a noun phrase.
    In my view (which stems from MGMAT SC Guide), these two structures cannot be parallel... thoughts anybody?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    I agree with you ..Lav.. It doesn't look right to me either

increasing -> increased

Moreover, I feel that none of them are actually parallel -

"improved" is an adjective modifying gerund "recruiting"- I am not sure if a gerund can actually be modified by adjectives..

noun phrase, then gerund and then adjective modifying gerund ..things don't appear to be parallel at all.

Any other comments?

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Lav View Post
    Qn:784 (1000 SC)

The nation’s three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.
    Given OA: A. I see there are no better answer choices than A, but according to MGMAT SC guide, a 'simple gerund' can NOT be parallel to a noun/noun-phrase.
    A couple of pointers. First, gerunds are a bit tricky. Sometimes parelleling a gerund with a 'static' noun sounds awkward, but in other cases, it sounds 'fluid' to do so. Some gerunds lack substantive counterparts (such as smoking, running, etc.), so we have no choice but to use the -ing form.

That said, meaning takes precedence over form (I'm a firm descriptivist). In this case, for example, the noun pairs recruiting and recruitment have slightly different meanings, and there's no reason to exclude recruiting simply because it's a gerund.
    Isn't increasing tution costs a simple gerund, which is incorrectly placed in parallel to other two noun-phrases?? I was hoping for an option with: .., increase in tution costs.. THOUGHTS..?
    In this case, we have three noun phrases as objects of the preposition by: resurgence, costs, and recruiting. increasing is an adjective modifying the noun phrase tuition costs​. In other words, it's not a gerund.

Hope that helps a bit.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Erin, is then 'increasing the tuition costs' a gerund? just curious to clarify a point.

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Erin, is then 'increasing the tuition costs' a gerund? just curious to clarify a point.
    Ah, now I understand why you were confused earlier.

It is technically possible that the original sentence, as written, can be interpreted differently. The word 'increasing' can be a gerund or it can be a present participle. To be honest, I did not even consider that it was being used as a gerund, since the resulting meaning, at least to me, would not be plausible.

So yes, by adding a determiner, in that location, in your case the word the, the word 'increasing' becomes a determiner.

By the way, not that it matters terribly, but I dictated this response using the new Siri feature on the iPhone.

Best,

Erin
    Last edited by Erin; 10-20-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added formatting.
    ☼ Waiting for Godot

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks Erin! long live siri!

Thread Information