Urch Forums

MEANING ISSUE

coffee

Im doing this exercise from Manhattan GMAT. There are two options, the underlined part and the boldface part. It says, select (A), if you agree with the underlined part then state what is wrong with the boldface part. Select (B) If you agree with the boldface part then state what is wrong with the underlined part. If you do not agree with both the boldface and the underlined then state what is wrong with both and select ©.

Here is the problem. The answer is C.

I cant understand how the boldface part is changing the meaning of the sentence?

The driver took the people for a ride who had been waiting

the people who had been waiting for a ride

My questions are specifically for the boldface part.

Whats wrong with the boldface part?

Is it changing the meaning of the sentence?.

Doesnt "who" refer to the "people" correctly?

Hi there! I think I can help shed some light on these issues. These types of questions with modifying phrases can be tough because our minds are so good at making inferences and making sense of ambiguity. :)

Whats wrong with the boldface part? Is it changing the meaning of the sentence?

I think the "problem" with the bold faced portion is that is does change the meaning of the sentence. It creates some ambiguity with the two modifying phrases "who had been waiting" and "for a ride." As the bold faced portions is written, we can't know if the the people who waited were waiting for a ride or if these people were just waiting, and then the driver took them for a ride.

Doesnt "who" refer to the "people" correctly?

In the bold face portion of the sentence, "who" properly refers to "people." :)

I hope that I was able to help a little with this problem. :)