Urch Forums

Acoma

A has a problem.

X and Y both date back means that they X+Y dates back 1000 years.

when I say each dating back , then only it becomes clear that X / Y dates back 1000 years.

Correct me if I am wrong!

i see your point, "both" suggests that their combined ages date back 1000 years. but since the first part of the sentence establishes a common element between the two doesn't that clarify the use of "both"? for example, if someone asked, "which tribe, the acoma or the hopi, dates back 1000 years?", you could say "both do".

granted, an answer like "each dating back" or "each of which date back" would be the best choice, but those are not provided. the rest of the choices containing "each" just don't sound right.

OA is A.

Thanks for the comments rso, dementor and Fran -

Like dementor, I thought "both" implied that the age of Acoma + Hopi is 1000 years (and thus changed the meaning of the sentence); Anyway, now I know my mistake.

Is there any rule of thumb is cases such as this? (idiom, parellelilsm, verb tense, etc)?

TIA.

have dated" is incorrect considering that this is a modifier explaining why these two are considered oldest.

Also, "both of which" is redundant here since we have only two in question. So, its like saying "both of the two things...."

that is a good expl. it is A

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I understand that the ans is A.

Here's the summary

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both

dating back at least a thousand years.

A. both dating (nice and concise)

B. both of which have dated

C. and each has dated

D. and each one dating

E. each one of which date

• "both of which" is redundant here since we have only two in question. So, its like saying "both of the two things...."
  • "each one" will still be redundant phrase,
  • Reason: Parallelism : surviving ...dating

Pls let me know which grammar rule (use of conjunction?) is violated by choice C.

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

A. both dating

B. both of which have dated

C. and each has dated

D. and each one dating

E. each one of which date

Eliminate all answers (C, D, E) with "each" because we 'are' talking about 2 communities.

I don't see a reason to be using present perfect tense. I think its better to use active in this sentence. so A