Sponsored Ad:

Thread: What does it refer to

Good post? Yes | No

What does it refer to

Sponsored Ad:
    1.Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
    (A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
    B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
    (C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
    (D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
    (E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage yogesh_kkk's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    I will go with D ....

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I will also go with D.

1.Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.

(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is (Should be would)

B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is (Incorrect verb, the past perfect tense should not be used)

(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was (Who is they?)

(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was (Correct verb structure and clear reference to what would be posted)

(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been (Incorrect verb tense)

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    i think it should be A

(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
    B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
    (C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
    (D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
    (E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

Good post? Yes | No
    @fightinghard...can you elaborate...
    Please expain what does "it" refer to in A.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    We all agree that it should be between (A) and (D)..

I like (A) bcos
    - 'it' in A has a clear referent..it cant be anything apart from the work schedule...i dont see 'it' as leading to any ambiguity here..
    - dont quite agree with the use of past tense in (D) 'everyone was' ; i ll go with 'everyone is'..

OA?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    D seems appropriate.

Good post? Yes | No
    Guys kindly tell me if my resoning is correct

i also zeroed on D & A however in D "will" has been changed to "would" which changes the meaning.

Am i correct ????

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    IMO A

uses 'it' to refer to 'schedule' ....keeps the meaning intact ' first everyone is assigned to work and then management /labour will know about it' ..

D incorrectly uses past tense everywhere .. not required ...'would have' is used in conditional statement

Thread Information