Urch Forums

GMAT Marking

vmohank1

Hi,

I've only recently started studying for GMAT and had a question which I was hoping to clarify. I apologize if this has already been answered!

So, in the GMAT, there are 4 sections writing (1 topic), integrated reasoning (12 questions), Quant (37) and finally verbal (41).

I generally hear people say, I got 49 in my practice verbal or quantitative. Or people say, you should get 700 in your practice test. The GMAT books says that in order to get 97%, you need to get 47 in Verbal. How is possible if there are only 41 questions. Am I missing anything basic here? Also, in a practice test, is it possible to get a feel of you overall mark? How do I know if I'm sitting in 600 or 650 or 700?

If this has been covered in a previous thread, could you please send me a link?

Varun

You're right about the 4 sections.

The scores people often cite are percentiles (the % of people who scored lower than them), Verbal score (0 to 60), Math score (0 to 60), AWA score, and IR score.

For more information about the GMAT and the scoring algorithm, I have free videos on these topics at: General GMAT Strategies | GMAT Prep Now Online Course

Cheers,

Brent

Just to add, one mistake that people make is to try and judge how they are doing on the real exam. However, this can be a mistake because it will distract you from your goal, which is to get the next question right. You can't change anything you have done in the past, and really you can't get a strong prediction because some of the questions are not used for score. These are sprinkled in the exam and can be of any difficulty level.