Urch Forums

As i prepare myself ....once again

Anita A

Hi All

It has been very helpfull reading the advices on this forum. As i prepare myself for taking the GMAT once again on Dec 13 after my last failure last month..(430)...I am almost done with [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]. Over the weekend i plan to make a list of those questions that i got wrong and am going to prepare a report kind of a thing on my weeknesses. And ofcourse try to get help on questions that i cudnt understand at all even after reading the explanation. After this the real prep starts i.e, i have to start working on my weak areas. How do you guys suggest i can do this......which book is the best to have practice questions on specific subsections....for instance, cordinate probs in geometry, probability prob in math, idiomatic errors on SC etc etc.

Anita,

I wud suggest to keep urself confined to [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] and other official material only. If you have done [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] throughly then get the paper based tests(from ETS) and practice them. Thats the best thing you can do to urself.

The material by others(non ETS) may seriously hamper the line of thought u have developed to solve the ETS problems by doing [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip].

However, are u planning to apply for second deadline(jan first week)?. i am retaking my GMAT(after 650 in first attempt) and am really worried if i wud be able to make it in second round.

Steve

Hey Steve.....I have already applied to Georgia State for Spring 2005 semester...all i have to do is take the GMAT again and submit my scores before Dec 15 2004.....If i get a really good score....i might consider better schools also and of course apply during the second round, for which i am working on recommendations and essays too....but GMAT is my top priority now. By the way...where can i get the paper based tests from?

Anita, I just took the GMAT and got a great score 730 (47Q, 44V). My main weaknesses in the beginning of my preparation were: Data Sufficiency, Sentence Correction, and Reading Comprehension.

Princeton Review's "Cracking the GMAT" helped me A LOT with sentence correction. They teach you how to spot wrong sentences and eliminate them. Before, I always tried to find the best answer by reading all of them and always ended up making lots of mistakes.

For Reading Comprehension: practice as much as you can and read "Cracking the GMAT" tips for main idea, tone, etc. I got the hang of it after some practice.

In the end, I got most of the points from verbal.

Unfortunately, I didn't improve in Data Sufficiency. It was the Verbal section that raised my score, even though I am not a native english speaker.

Hope this helps.

Dilney

Thanks Dilney

I have "cracking the GMAT" but i havent touched it as yet.....reading comp is my main weakness too and i will take your advise and refer cracking...for that

By the way, in Math i need more practice with cordinates, probability and especially "integer questions" I hope u understand what i mean...if not i ll post an example soon

So which book do u suggest for math questions......as steve said, do i stick to OG??? or as fermilafon said, do i consider kaplan??? If yes, which kaplan book??? I am taking the test on Dec 13

Anita:

Well, for "integer questions", I assume that you mean the ones "let x, y be integers, is x > y?" or "what is xy?" . I also find them hard.

Each one tests a different concept. Some test your knowledge of positive / negative numbers, others test even/odd properties. You should review number properties.

As for which book is better:

I believe that [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] has the most complete Math review and real questions, but it doesn't teach you the shortcuts. If you need some basic math review, go for the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], and stick to "Cracking" for strategies (IMO its math section is better than Kaplan's).

I don't recommend GMAT 800, as it deals ONLY with the most difficult questions, but you seem to need something to get the basics first. Also, it doesn't come with a CD-ROM.

One good thing about Kaplan GMAT (regular) is its CDROM and 4 CATs. But if you are going to buy only one book and already have "Cracking", I recommend that you buy Official Guide (and go really deep into it - also, see Ursula's post on plan of study).

Good luck.

Anita,

you can get paper based tests from http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/ToolsToHelpYouPrepare/GMATPrepProducts/GMATPaperTests.htm

they chargs $25 for a set of 3 tests.

Just in case you tend to buy this let me know so that we can buy different sets and exchange them. BTW you have idea about placement statistics of GeoState i cudnt find i on its websie

Anita,

you can get paper based tests from http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/ToolsToHelpYouPrepare/GMATPrepProducts/GMATPaperTests.htm

Just in case you tend to buy this let me know so that we can buy different sets and exchange them. BTW you have idea about placement statistics of GeoState i cudnt find i on its websie

Hi Steve,

You can get info on the placement statistics of Georgia State's Robinson College of Business on the following website

http://robinson.gsu.edu/career/statistics/index.html

However, this website is being revised at the moment. You can send an email to apettiway@gsu.edu , she is the one who compiles all the information on placement statistics and she will be able to send u the upto date info.

Hope this helps....i will get back to you soon regarding the paper based tests

Anita

Anita,

Hey Steve

I am buying the first set.....let me know whenever u re ready to exchange them

ANita

Anita,

After having horrible show with kaplan(550/540) i am shifting my date further.

Now when you have taken the paper test. whats your experience?

one doubt which i have is that

are they 37V+41Q pattern or the old paper based 6-section pattern?

and if you have actually brought the set-1 let me know so that i can get the another.

Please confirm.

Steve.

Hey Steve

The ETS paper based tests are based on old style 6 parts pattern. I have bought the 1st set.....each set has 3 tests....the first test had all the questions from [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]....so if you have completed [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]..taking the first test from SET 1 is a waste. I scored a 610 on that. The third test in set 1 had all new questions or say 95% of the questions i had not seen before and i scored a 520 on that. I still have to take the second test.

Now there is a bad news, some one just deleated the tests from my desktop and i am trying to find out ways to retrieve those tests from the website. Meanwhile, if u are in states, i can mail the tests to you, as i have their printouts. Thats the best i can do :o I am taking the real test on DEC 13...i just have a week to practice some more

Anita

Hey Steve

The ETS paper based tests are based on old style 6 parts pattern. I have bought the 1st set.....each set has 3 tests....the first test had all the questions from [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]....so if you have completed [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]..taking the first test from SET 1 is a waste. I scored a 610 on that. The third test in set 1 had all new questions or say 95% of the questions i had not seen before and i scored a 520 on that. I still have to take the second test.

Now there is a bad news, some one just deleated the tests from my desktop and i am trying to find out ways to retrieve those tests from the website. Meanwhile, if u are in states, i can mail the tests to you, as i have their printouts. Thats the best i can do :o I am taking the real test on DEC 13...i just have a week to practice some more

Anita

Hey Steve, as i mentioned earlier that i lost the tests...well i called the mba.com people...they said they will email me the test....wud u like me to forward it to you???Did u already buy the tests....as i said my G day is next week...i have this week only to practice some extra ones...so plz reply soon

Anita

Hi Anita,

Thanks a lot for the concern.

Here my situation is taking different twist altogether.

yea, i was planning to take the test on 6th dec but i had really really bad experience with kaplan test 3 and 4. i just scored 550/560. my ever lowest. i dun know if i will ever be able to get 35+ in verbal.

Anita, I am really not sure if i am going to buy the paper tests. If in case i happen to buy them(other than the first test which u brought) will let ya know( thats at least 4-5 days before 13th dec ..right?). Though i have 5GMATs of old pattern(not softcopy....little similar situation)...we cud have shared them had u were been here in delhi.

....my frnds out there in US are advising me to go ahead with my last score( 650) itself...but after looking at so many 700+ here i am really scared that i may end up in wasting my hard earned money.

Good Luck for the test. and dun forget to share ur experience.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont have any og maths , kaplan and princeton on my comp. I do have ETS paper based test which i tried to upload but cudnt...prbably coz the file is too large. Moreover, since its a Pdf file, i cant even copy and paste. Send me an email on anita_alidina@hotmail.com and i will forward you the tests. Let me know if i can do anything else to help u

Anita A

I heard that the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] is good but only for the verbal part. Why do you suggest that we stick to the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], when I hear that the Math is very outdated?

I have the 800 book. The questions are okay - they don't have many questions to practice from.