Urch Forums

PhD Finance Vs. PhD Economics (B-school) Vs. PhD Economics (Dept. of Economics)

bodwiser

Hi Friends!

Firstly, I am pretty sure that similar threads exist somewhere in this forum but instead of posting my question on those and hoping for them to revive, I am starting to a new one since I desperately need some advice!

So I will be applying to PhD programs this year but I have the captioned confusion in my head.

For ex: How can I know the difference between say

Northwestern Dept. of Economics - PhD Economics vs. Kellogg PhD. Finance vs. Kellogg PhD Managerial Economics

(Yes, more choices do mess with our preferences! :disgust: )

A bit about my profile

First, a bit about my background: I am studying MS Economics at a top 15 US university. I am an Engineer + an MBA (finance concentration) (both from well ranked universities back in my home-country. (Does it matter?)) + 3 yrs. of corporate experience in a reputed multinational bank + FRM certification (does it matter ?)

So the following issues perplex me:

1) The captioned question.

2) Given my background, what should I bank on more? PhD econ or PhD finance ?

(Both have their pros and cons like finance having generous funding but a more brutal selection process, absence of Corp. finance/ asset pricing in economics but relatively easy to get into etc.) So this just adds to the indecisiveness !

I am interested in the intersection of Finance/Macro.

3) I am also interested in Behavioral Finance. Since it is not a mainstream area yet, I am a bit skeptical about mentioning this in my SOP - I have been told to stick to the more run of the mill topics. Would request thoughts on this please.

4) How important is GRE ? I have 166/170 (92 percentile) in quant, 161/170 is VA but 3.5 in AWA. Should I take the exam again?

5) How can I make a stronger profile for Finance?

Thanks a lot guys ! :encouragement:

Sounds like you want to do finance and your profile is better suited for finance. Can't think of why you are looking at econ.

Behavioral is a big enough topic, but I wouldn't sound too committed in an SOP unless you really know what you want.

Ask on the business Forum for better responses. The econ forum is decent for finance as well.

• 1 year later...