Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Toulouse School of Economics - Offers 2012

  1. #11
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Tse is not that good, System here sucks. I would recommend you not to come Toulouse.

  2. #12
    Eager! econobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by economist26 View Post
    Hey man, I'm sorry I do not know much about this issue. However, I have read that the M2 year is supposedly very competitive, with people tending to keep to themselves because they see you as a potential rival. So, as you can see, we have the same information. And no, the majority of students are NOT admitted to the PhD. At most, I would say about a third only. The rate of attrition is therefore quite high.

    If you feel you can do very well on the M2, which should be the case if you've been offered a place, then I would definitely recommend enrolling into the programme. It is one of the best preparations worldwide before going onto a PhD. I'm sorry I forgot to ask: which M2 programme are you interested in? Because from what I have gathered, it seems that the ECOMATH students have a better chance of getting in.

    I hope that whatever I have said above helps you in making your mind up. However, you should probably try and get other people's opinions on this issue as well, because I'm not even at Toulouse yet!
    First of all, thank you for your post, it was very helpfull. I got an admission to the Ecomath track, but I don't really see how this rises your chances for being admitted to the Ph.D.. I think this track is probably the hardest, and if you compete with students from other (supposedly easier) tracks you should probably be in disadvantage.

    On the other side, I'd like to know how many of the M2 students are really aiming towards a Ph.D. in Toulouse itself. Personally, I am a older applicant who already has master's studies, thus I don't see myself doing M2 for starting an American Ph.D. program afterwards. My aim in Toulouse would be directly the Ph.D..

    In other words my question is: ceateris paribus, given the objective of getting the best Ph.D. preparation, would you rather attend M2 at Toulouse and aim to the Ph.D. (eventhough the high attrition rate), or would you rather attend directly a Ph.D. program from a lower ranked American university??
    In: Chicago, Penn, Duke (declined), TSE (declined), BC(declined), UCLA (declined) ; WL: Yale, Northwestern; Out: MIT, Berkeley, LSE, Princeton, Stanford, Stern (Econ), Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Cornell.

  3. #13
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by gkhn View Post
    Tse is not that good, System here sucks. I would recommend you not to come Toulouse.
    Thanks for the post. It's not the first time that I have heard such negative reviews about the TSE. Would you care to enlighten us mate, please? It's good to know others' opinions, especially people who are already there.

  4. #14
    Eager! econobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by gkhn View Post
    Tse is not that good, System here sucks. I would recommend you not to come Toulouse.
    yes! please could you be more specific? are you a TSE student??
    In: Chicago, Penn, Duke (declined), TSE (declined), BC(declined), UCLA (declined) ; WL: Yale, Northwestern; Out: MIT, Berkeley, LSE, Princeton, Stanford, Stern (Econ), Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Cornell.

  5. #15
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Classes consist of 50-60 people.(core courses) You learn nothing in the lectures. Teaching quality converges to zero. It's not a joke. The reason of this stems from two fact. 1. class size, 2. (most)professors here don't care about teaching.(some of them are best researchers). Do not come here to get good grades and good recommendation letters if you are not a machine who can deal with everything by oneself and do not care about the inefficient and competitve environment. Being successful is hard here. it is not because of the level of coursework ,but mainly because of the inefficient system,and disorganization.If you come here eventually, you will be surprised by the fact that no one gives you information about anything unless you are forced them to do so. I'm leaving TSE next year, moving to USA for phd. Many people I know are not content with their final decision of coming to TSE. Moreover, If you cannot speak french, this will create a problem in dealing with administrative issues outside the school. Most professors have strong french accent. So, be prepared!

  6. #16
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Hey man, thanks for these specifications. Many of my lecturers have indeed mentioned that the French are very bad at teaching. In fact, as you have stated, they do not even care about the latter. Their main concern is research, for which, however, they are renowned worldwide. I have heard that the environment is not friendly, and that competition is at its fiercest. What you say about the level of inefficiency and disorganisation is a cause for concern. However, if I may add, I did my bachelors from a university where the staff were incompetent to an extent you would not believe, and the lecturers did not give a damn about teaching. So, in a way, I could say that that is how a considerable chunk of my university experience has been so far, and that hopefully, I will not be affected so much by these inadequacies. Still, what you say about people not doing well, not because of the level of the coursework, but mainly due to the system, makes for a saddening read. Thanks for pointing these out mate, I really appreciate your advice. And I do speak French, and fluently so. Do you think that this could prove to be helpful to a great extent? I'm very happy for you that you gained admission to a US university, and I wish you the very best of luck in your future studies mate.

  7. #17
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    hey guys,
    so i actaully emailed someone from tse about continuation today and they said
    60 students in doctoral path, 20 move down to standard path, 10 go to us/other places, and 30-35 are left for phd but only 20-25 can get taken up. so it sounds like... well, like it's going to be a lot of hard work and competition.
    honestly this is quite discouraging... what scares me is that i went to a masters that was similar (top half get into phd if they want) and i thought surely, i can make top half if i work hard, but it turned out that, coming from a different country, my preparation was very different from the students who had been there for undergrad as well -- and they were half the program! turned out to be very hard to compete with them and i would hate to see the same thing happen at tse.

  8. #18
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrazr View Post
    hey guys,
    so i actaully emailed someone from tse about continuation today and they said
    60 students in doctoral path, 20 move down to standard path, 10 go to us/other places, and 30-35 are left for phd but only 20-25 can get taken up. so it sounds like... well, like it's going to be a lot of hard work and competition.
    honestly this is quite discouraging... what scares me is that i went to a masters that was similar (top half get into phd if they want) and i thought surely, i can make top half if i work hard, but it turned out that, coming from a different country, my preparation was very different from the students who had been there for undergrad as well -- and they were half the program! turned out to be very hard to compete with them and i would hate to see the same thing happen at tse.
    Hiya mate,

    Thanks for the details. I am very sorry, but I am not sure whether I have correctly understood what you said in the third line above. Please correct me if I am wrong, but is what you tried to get across, the following?

    Basically, 60 students enrol into the M2 programme. Then, after the M2, 20 students switch to the standard path; about 5-10 others go to the US, which therefore leaves approximately 30-35 candidates for the PhD. However, there are only 20-25 places that are on offer. Is that correct? Could you also please tell me what is the 'standard path'? Are you referring to the other M2 programmes, that is, those apart from the ECOMATH, as the standard path?

    Well, although it does look hard, a 67-71% (based on what you say) chance of getting into the PhD means that it is perfectly doable. I mean that rate looks very high to me, because from what you say above, almost all of the graduating class gets to enrol into the PhD, which I think is pretty decent, considering how notorious the M2 is. However, as you correctly point out, competing against students who have previously received a solid grounding from that same institution could make things a lot tougher for incoming students, to whom the structure of the programme will be entirely new.

    So, my advice would be to give it your best shot and not get discouraged, because what is true for one person might not be so for you.

  9. #19
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    It depends on your aims. If you want to go to USA after M2, I do not recommend TSE.Why? Let me clarify, TSE does not advertise itself as being a feeder school to top programs in the USA. Instead, they claim that TSE's program is equivalent to USA programs in quality etc. Check CEMFI, it is not that well known, but it has an amazing placement record. There are many other good programs with small class size where you can interact with professors.
    Last edited by gkhn; 03-04-2012 at 05:11 AM.

  10. #20
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by gkhn View Post
    It depends on your aims. If you want to go to USA after M2, I do not recommend TSE.Why? Let me clarify, TSE does not advertise itself as being a feeder school to top programs in the USA. Instead, they claim that TSE's program is equivalent to USA programs in quality etc. Check CEMFI, it is not that well known, but it has an amazing placement record. There are many other good programs with small class size where you can interact with professors.
    Thanks for the post. What you have said about the TSE is true, you're absolutely right. CEMFI has a very good programme, and a very good placement record as well, but I'm afraid that without a scholarship, it could prove to be very expensive. UC3M has, in my opinion, a very strong programme, even stronger than that/those of the Barcelona GSE. However, the only reason why I have not applied to UC3M and CEMFI is that I have not taken the GRE test yet. For all of these programmes, they either put a lot of emphasis on one's GRE scores, or actually require the latter to be sent to them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. toulouse school of eco vs sciences po
    By ludmilla22 in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
  2. Toulouse offers 2012
    By Aha in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM
  3. Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) ERNEA master
    By breathingmylife in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
  4. Top 30 In USA vs Toulouse School of Economics
    By APJ in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 02:32 AM
  5. Toulouse Masters in Economics Questions
    By phdfinance in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •