Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Toulouse School of Economics - Offers 2012

  1. #21
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by economist26 View Post
    Hiya mate,

    Thanks for the details. I am very sorry, but I am not sure whether I have correctly understood what you said in the third line above. Please correct me if I am wrong, but is what you tried to get across, the following?

    Basically, 60 students enrol into the M2 programme. Then, after the M2, 20 students switch to the standard path; about 5-10 others go to the US, which therefore leaves approximately 30-35 candidates for the PhD. However, there are only 20-25 places that are on offer. Is that correct? Could you also please tell me what is the 'standard path'? Are you referring to the other M2 programmes, that is, those apart from the ECOMATH, as the standard path?

    Well, although it does look hard, a 67-71% (based on what you say) chance of getting into the PhD means that it is perfectly doable. I mean that rate looks very high to me, because from what you say above, almost all of the graduating class gets to enrol into the PhD, which I think is pretty decent, considering how notorious the M2 is. However, as you correctly point out, competing against students who have previously received a solid grounding from that same institution could make things a lot tougher for incoming students, to whom the structure of the programme will be entirely new.

    So, my advice would be to give it your best shot and not get discouraged, because what is true for one person might not be so for you.
    Sorry about the confusion regarding the standard and doctoral tracks. I have read on the TSE's website about these, and everything is clear now. Thanks anyway.

  2. #22
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by gkhn View Post
    It depends on your aims. If you want to go to USA after M2, I do not recommend TSE.Why? Let me clarify, TSE does not advertise itself as being a feeder school to top programs in the USA. Instead, they claim that TSE's program is equivalent to USA programs in quality etc. Check CEMFI, it is not that well known, but it has an amazing placement record. There are many other good programs with small class size where you can interact with professors.
    Man, CEMFI is like hell. Has solid placement but if you come here, prepare yourself to doing nothing else than solving problem sets for two years. Academically it is very good but non-academic environment is very bad. I (and many other people) feel suffocating here

  3. #23
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Fellow posters, speaking of TSE admission results, if I have applied only this week, do you happen do have an opinion on when they might respond?

    I am also wondering what are my chances of a positive feedback, given my application date, but I guess that is an ambitious curiosity...

    I appreciate your feedback, good luck!

  4. #24
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    How could I have missed this thread...?!!!

    As a current classmate of gkhn (haha, gkhn, I know who you are), I just wanna second gkhn's comments on TSE. I came to TSE for its reputation in IO and it is thus far the worst decision about my future I have ever made in my life...

  5. #25
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonblue View Post
    How could I have missed this thread...?!!!

    As a current classmate of gkhn (haha, gkhn, I know who you are), I just wanna second gkhn's comments on TSE. I came to TSE for its reputation in IO and it is thus far the worst decision about my future I have ever made in my life...
    Exactly, how could you have missed this thread?? Thanks a lot for your comment man. Do you basically endorse EVERYTHING that gkhn said, from the poor placement to the bad lecturers, or is it only about the very bad teaching quality? Are the courses pitched at a very high level though? This is my only concern, because if the courses are not strong enough, then I would not bother going there, since I want to get the best preparation possible before undertaking a PhD. To be honest, all these negative comments about the TSE are starting to make me wary of the latter.

    I look forward to hearing from you Jasonblue, and thanks again man, I appreciate your help. Thanks to everyone commenting on this thread as well.

  6. #26
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Economist View Post
    Fellow posters, speaking of TSE admission results, if I have applied only this week, do you happen do have an opinion on when they might respond?

    I am also wondering what are my chances of a positive feedback, given my application date, but I guess that is an ambitious curiosity...

    I appreciate your feedback, good luck!
    Have you applied before the deadline? If so, then you should have a decent enough chance of getting in. All the best.

  7. #27
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No
    In addition to the statements of my two TSE classmates in this thread (I totally agree with them), I would like to refer to this thread where some of the mentioned points had already been discussed:
    http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...rs-2012-a.html

  8. #28
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    9


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    @kondratieff, Wow! seems that all of us are gathered here to protest against our school

    @economist26:
    I do endorse EVERYTHING that gkhn said! However, I'd be happy to provide some more info.

    1. Not all profs are "bad". TSE does have some good profs who are good at (and care about) teaching, for example, my current supervisor for my thesis is quite nice to me. However, firstly, the good profs are a rare case, which means that no matter how, you'll always see some unpleasant profs who don't care about teaching at all. If you are lucky, you end up taking few courses with unpleasant profs; if not, you end up question about academia everyday and why the hell could such kind of profs get a job. In sum, I do not want you to think that all profs are bad here at TSE. Some of them are quite good, but unfortunately, they are just a very small portion.

    2. Among those very few profs who care about teaching, again, a very small portion of them are approachable after class. This makes the total number of nice and approachable profs to a very small number.

    3. Course levels are not low. If you don't make efforts, you won't get good grades for sure. However, if you do make efforts, in some cases you still won't get good grades, because grading is unreasonably tough (when I say "unreasonably", I literally mean some profs don't even give you a reason) and some profs won't even listen to you if you firmly believe that indeed solved the problem correctly. So, if you come here, when you take exams, be very careful, write exactly in the way they want/anticipate, otherwise, no one is gonna care about the injustice.

    4. Kondratieff has mentioned in another thread he posted above: the exams are designed for the top students, if you are average (and considering point 3), making efforts or not makes no difference on the final score. And the grade of the course is only based on one final.

    5. Then how do you learn?! Mostly through independent and peer studies. In class, you do your best, and then ask around your classmates after class if there are things you don't understand.

    6. It's also my responsibility to tell you that not all students think like this. We do have one classmate of us (a crazy Chinese guy) who got the attention from the faculty and interacted with many famous profs a lot. However, if you ask around, 90% of the students will tell you the same as what we said (except French students who are probably used to the system). Whether you want to score for that 10% really depends not only on your academic super-excellence, but also on how you perceive your future luck at TSE (yes, you do need some luck).

    7. Lastly, I need to remind you that what I have said is based on what happened this year. There is chance that this year is an outlier in the sample. Indeed, most of the profs for last semester seemed very inexperienced. and this semester has slightly improved. (SLIGHTLY!)

    I tried my best to give you an objective view, but I hope you understand that every opinion has some bias. You should always try to hear from more people to balance the information.

    Best of luck to your future PhD!
    Last edited by Jasonblue; 03-09-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    In: Tinbergen; Waiting: Oxford, LSE

  9. #29
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonblue View Post
    @kondratieff, Wow! seems that all of us are gathered here to protest against our school

    @economist26:
    I do endorse EVERYTHING that gkhn said! However, I'd be happy to provide some more info.

    1. Not all profs are "bad". TSE does have some good profs who are good at (and care about) teaching, for example, my current supervisor for my thesis is quite nice to me. However, firstly, the good profs are a rare case, which means that no matter how, you'll always see some unpleasant profs who don't care about teaching at all. If you are lucky, you end up taking few courses with unpleasant profs; if not, you end up question about academia everyday and why the hell could such kind of profs get a job. In sum, I do not want you to think that all profs are bad here at TSE. Some of them are quite good, but unfortunately, they are just a very small portion.

    2. Among those very few profs who care about teaching, again, a very small portion of them are approachable after class. This makes the total number of nice and approachable profs to a very small number.

    3. Course levels are not low. If you don't make efforts, you won't get good grades for sure. However, if you do make efforts, in some cases you still won't get good grades, because grading is unreasonably tough (when I say "unreasonably", I literally mean some profs don't even give you a reason) and some profs won't even listen to you if you firmly believe that indeed solved the problem correctly. So, if you come here, when you take exams, be very careful, write exactly in the way they want/anticipate, otherwise, no one is gonna care about the injustice.

    4. Kondratieff has mentioned in another thread he posted above: the exams are designed for the top students, if you are average (and considering point 3), making efforts or not makes no difference on the final score. And the grade of the course is only based on one final.

    5. Then how do you learn?! Mostly through independent and peer studies. In class, you do your best, and then ask around your classmates after class if there are things you don't understand.

    6. It's also my responsibility to tell you that not all students think like this. We do have one classmate of us (a crazy Chinese guy) who got the attention from the faculty and interacted with many famous profs a lot. However, if you ask around, 90% of the students will tell you the same as what we said (except French students who are probably used to the system). Whether you want to score for that 10% really depends not only on your academic super-excellence, but also on how you perceive your future luck at TSE (yes, you do need some luck).

    7. Lastly, I need to remind you that what I have said is based on what happened this year. There is chance that this year is an outlier in the sample. Indeed, most of the profs for last semester seemed very inexperienced. and this semester has slightly improved. (SLIGHTLY!)

    I tried my best to give you an objective view, but I hope you understand that every opinion has some bias. You should always try to hear from more people to balance the information.

    Best of luck to your future PhD!
    That is an awesome post man. Thank you very much for all the information. Now I am very worried, and I honestly mean VERY worried! As you may have noticed from my previous posts, I do strongly believe that TSE has a very solid programme, but I am also willing to hear negative reviews about the university as well.

    Now, if you do not mind my asking, what would you say is it that allows students to perform well or not on the M2? I know that one's abilities do definitely play a non-negligible role, but apart from that, is there anything in particular that would allow students to cope better with the courses, as in a sound mathematical preparation or strong micro/macro background? If so, could you please recommend the courses that you would personally have chosen to improve your chances?

    As kondratieff has pointed out, the exams are set in such a way that only the best get through. He also mentioned that the exams are designed so that people having done the M1 at TSE have a considerable advantage over the rest. Hence, would you say that going through the M1 would itself count as very good training?

    I would be grateful if you could please help me with these questions mate. You cannot imagine how worried I am at present! Thanks a lot again for your help.

  10. #30
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    9


    Good post? Yes | No
    I was admitted directly into M2, and did not get through M1. But I agree that our classmates who went through M1 had some advantages, because on one hand, the M1 program is very rigorous (as far as you study hard and despite the poor teaching quality), and on the other hand, they have a lot of insider info.

    To perform well on the exams, the rule of thumb is to study hard and pay enough effort.

    Apart from that:
    1. The most important: Talk to your classmates who took M1 or those in higher grade who took M2. Get some ideas of each instructor's personality and teaching style before choosing classes (core micro macro and metrics are mandatory for the first semester, so you don't have a choice but only to hope), and before taking exams. If those students tell you negative things about some profs, be warned that it may not be a good idea to take their classes, though some of them are great researchers. At TSE, there are many great researchers who don't care about teaching (I literally meant GREAT w.r.t their research)... So, checking their CV and publications is apparently NOT sufficient. Always try to get insider info.

    2. Don't trust too much the tutorials. The tutorials are conducted by TAs separately for the corresponding classes. While it is always a dominant strategy to do your best on the problem sets, you should always bear in mind that the final exam might be very different from what you have done in the tutorials, and the exam problems can be very sporadic (honestly, I don't think profs spend much of their precious time making good exams problems).

    3. Peer learning is very important. TSE does have many good students in their M2 program every year. Make friends with those who are both smart and friendly (willing to help), and discussions in many cases are more helpful than talking to some unpleasant profs.

    4. At TSE, students don't have bargaining power at all. If you don't like a prof or don't agree with what he does, let it go... Always do your best on your part, and hope for the best.

    5. Lastly, if you have any problems, talk to secretary Aude. She is the only one that every student respects (because she respects every student), and is respected by all the faculty members.

    This is pretty much what I can come up with. You should always try to get more information from others.

    Best wishes,
    In: Tinbergen; Waiting: Oxford, LSE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. toulouse school of eco vs sciences po
    By ludmilla22 in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
  2. Toulouse offers 2012
    By Aha in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM
  3. Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) ERNEA master
    By breathingmylife in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
  4. Top 30 In USA vs Toulouse School of Economics
    By APJ in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 02:32 AM
  5. Toulouse Masters in Economics Questions
    By phdfinance in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •