Urch Forums

Toulouse School of Economics after undergraduate in the U.S.

jpguillo

Hello all,

I will be completing my undergraduate degree (B.S. Economics) here in the U.S. in May 2013. I am interested in applying to a graduate program in Europe, and I have several questions. From the research I've done, Toulouse School of Economics sounds like a great place to study. The problem is that I am not looking to continue towards a PhD or work in research/academics after my Masters education. If my interests lean towards studying Finance in order to get a job directly out of the Masters program, would I be better off focusing my energy on a business school with a dedicated MSc in Finance? I'm not convinced that recruiters at top financial institutions would see the value of a Masters degree from TSE, even if it is highly regarded in the academic field. I feel that I would also benefit from the mandatory internship placement at most business schools in Europe.

If Toulouse would still be a viable option, I have a more basic question about admission. It is my understanding that with a 4-year B.S. degree from a U.S. institution, I would have completed the equivalent of M1 as part of my undergrad career and would therefore be applying directly for M2 (in the case of TSE, M2 - Financial Markets and Intermediaries). Is my understanding correct?

Thank you very much!

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you I wouldn't go to TSE. Don't get me wrong, I'll be attending TSE next year but I do want to continue towards a PhD. If your goal is to jump into the job market right from the Msc, as you said, I'd go to a good MSc in Finance. There are a lot of good places out there.

A piece of advice: If you want to work in the US, do your Msc in the US.

I assume you may ne heading to Europe because of program's cost. Anyway with your profile it may be better to look for some B-schools. The tuiton is not so cheap there, but still probably cheaper than in US (maybe except UK). You have plenty of decent institutions in Spain, Scandinavia, France also.