Urch Forums

Chance Me - Mphil in Economics at the University of Cambridge

ArizonaCosmo

Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker on this form and this is my first time posting. I would like to apply for a Mphil in economics at the University of Cambridge. However, I am not sure if my maths are strong enough to get into the program. I was wondering if applying is a worthwhile endeavor based on my profile and course/work history. Thanks for your interest and advice!

Credentials:

Econ Program: Top 50 liberal arts college in the United States

GRE: Aiming for above a 168 in Quant and 160 in Verbal.

College GPA: 3.9

Math Courses: Calc I-II (AP), Multivariable Calculus (A), Linear Algebra (A), Introduction to Real Analysis (A+), Evolutionary Game-Theory (Research project - In progress).

Relevant Econ Courses: Macroeconomic Theory (A+), Microeconomic Theory (A), Political Economy (A-), The East Asian Growth Model (Honors Capstone Project - In Progress), Statistics (A+), Econometrics (In Progress).

Relevant Work Experience: Last summer, I worked as a statistician for a Political Action Committee in the United States. Most of my responsibilities included gathering and collecting data and running simple regression models. This summer, I did a econometrics internship for the city I live in. My responsibilities included building multiple regression models (running stepwise regressions, testing for multicollinearity, etc...), data mapping using GIS software, and presenting my results to the city director.

Other Experiences: I (with the recommendation of one of my professors) am trying to get a paper published. I received a revise and resubmit decision from the journal last spring and should have the paper resubmitted by the end of the summer.

LORs:

One professor got their PHD from the University of New Mexico

One professor got their PHD from the University of Chicago (The one who suggested I submit my paper for publication).

My greatest concern for getting into the program is that I did not take Differential equations. I have taught myself some Diff equ. for the independent research project I am doing on Game Theory (eg. variation of parameters, Laplace transformations, dynamic optimization) and I have used Fourier transformations before for statistical smoothing in one of my internships. Will this be enough to make up for my relative lack of mathematical coursework. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!