Urch Forums

was it a right decision?

hey guys. i am almost certain to pursue my masters in financial economics at the univ of maine, orono.....actually i applied at cornell, william and mary and brandies too...but since umaine offered me TA, i decided to puruse my course their coz i am short in money..

acttually am internatiaonal student....my GRE scores are V-570, Q-720, writing- 4.5 and toefl is 273....my undergraduate gpa is 3.49....i did my bachelor with major in business and information system...

actually brandies did offer me 75 percent tution scholarships in masters in international economics and finance, and william and mary also offered me assistanceships for but still had to pay 13,000 more.......cornell gave me admission but no aid.......

should i have applied to more univ, like uconn, uva, ...i dunno do they accept international students who dont have eco majors for phd...i was skeptical so dint apply.

thought. i did micro, macro, stat, calculus, finance...coures in my undergrad..

please let me know....i want to do phd...so wat are the chances of getting admission in top-10 after graduating from umaine....

Hi there!!!! First of all, congratulations for your admissions...I advise you to do as well as you can in your Master. A good performance will enhance a lot your chances to get accepted in top US schools afterwards...besides, try to get to know well your professors so that later you can get good LOR...btw, why a master in financial econ if you wanna pursue a PhD in economics?

well...i can change to economics if i want to later on........ since i had jus six credit hours of economics in my undergrad i thought i would not be accepted to hard core economics program..

I don't really agree with that...actually an econ degree is not mandatory to get into a grad econ prog...I asked you because it might be better to get into a M.A or MSc. in economics if you wanna go for a PhD in the field...but anyway, it doesn't hurt if you pursue a master in financial econ...what really matters is that you perform extremely well in it...

• 5 weeks later...
I am thinking of going to a university for my MA that is definitely not the top in my field of interest, however it would be extremely cost effective when compared to going somewhere else. And the faculty have been very warm and welcoming. My concern is that when I go for the PhD, will the choice of school inhibit my chances for a good program.

A good question to ask of the Masters programs that aren't tops is where their graduates went- what they are doing. If the professors at the Not tops Univ. are well connected with people at the top schools- then it will make it much easier to get into a good PhD program, if you do well in the Masters. It is really important that your Masters professors have those good connections and are willing to use them for you. A phone call placed in the right direction can go a long long way in such a situation.