Urch Forums

Chemistry people: Is the anybody out there ?

Hello, Dear Collegues !

It seems to me that there are only few persons related to Chemistry. Maybe there are more ? Let's share our admission concernes and identify ourself !

Few words about myself:

Due to some family-related stuff I need to leave my current university soon and start PhD program in some other place. Here is my current profile, that I hope will be a little bit enhanced till the moment of application:

Undegraduate: Very good university in my native country

Undegraduate GPA: 3.2 (yes, I had a lot of fun there :blush: )

Graduate: MS form not well-known US university but still somehwere in top 100.

Graduate GPA: 4.0 (Honors Graduate)

Research expirience:

3 different scientific institutions in my native country during undegrad (Organic, Inorganic &Physical Chemistry) + written thesis

2.5 years in US university with well-known proff. Many different projects with many modern phys. chem. methods involved.

Totall: more then 5 years.

Teaching experience:

1.5 years. Mostly 400 level advanced chemistry classes + some beginners physics

Publications: 1 in very good ACS journal

Conferences: 1 oral international (ECS)

Patents: 1 in process

Recomendations: hope, will be very good from more or less known people.

GRE is not finished yet.

Schools for PhD:

UC Berkeley

Northwestern University

UT Austin

UC Irvine

U of South California

UI Urbana-Champaign

Texas A&M

UC Davis

U Penn

U of North Carolina

Any comments will be very helpful as well as the sharing of the any expereince and ideas concerning admission to Chem. PhD!

I hope, this trend will be helpful for people with similar major.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'll continue this thread anyway - maybe descendants find the info valuable :)

Here is some additional info about schools:

Texas A&M asks me to re-pass TOEFL disregard of the fact that I already did it (but, of course more then 2 y ago), my US MSc degree and TA experience. It seems stupid to me and I don't want to do this useless TOEFL-preparation-stuff again, so most likely I'll remove it from the list, since even such schools as Berkeley is not so picky...

UC Irvine also wants me to pass some English exams, namely TSE disregard of any of my achievements in using of speaking English language.

Well, I'll think about this, since it looks like frequently encountered requirements (I guess, I've seen something like this on UCLA & UIUC web sites) but don't want to spent my time on this either.

This is all news so far.

• Like 1

More inputs from the schools. Everybody wants me to pass TSE :( I don't think it would be a problem, I just don't want to pay 125$ for this cr*p + 17$ per each extra university.

I guess, a lot of universities has a strong ETS lobby :whistle:

Also, I was acknowledged as a co-author of the talk in closed to public conference. How can I put it in my resume? :D

More inputs from shools:

UTAustin also wnats everybody to pass TOEFL nevertheless MSc degree. I don't believe that I'll do it again!

I've edited my list by removing "picky" californian schools that I had chance to visit (and even give the talk about my research). For now it looks like this:

UC Berkeley

UT Austin

U of South California

UI Urbana-Champaign

Texas A&M

U of North Carolina

OSU

U Maryland

U Washington

Duke

I've got my abstracts accepted to one more conference. I hope I'll give a talk there and it will help me a little bit ...

Hello

Your credentials look very impressive. My sincere suggestion is that you can aim for the best schools of your choice. Definitely your research exp. counts a ton. (I am not a person who give suggestions with out facing them, I got admitted in to pretty good school though my gre score is awkward because I have exp. in research. I got the opportunity to talk with them and explain them how much I am interested in their program. Regarding TOEFL, its not so much to worry when you are preparing for GRE and if you are in US. I think you should not loose any of your choice just because you don't want to give TOEFL.

Good Luck!!

Hello

Your credentials look very impressive. My sincere suggestion is that you can aim for the best schools of your choice. Definitely your research exp. counts a ton. (I am not a person who give suggestions with out facing them, I got admitted in to pretty good school though my gre score is awkward because I have exp. in research. I got the opportunity to talk with them and explain them how much I am interested in their program. Regarding TOEFL, its not so much to worry when you are preparing for GRE and if you are in US. I think you should not loose any of your choice just because you don't want to give TOEFL.

Good Luck!!

Hi bujji,

I really appreciate your comment!

The problem is that we have "two body problem" and chances for both of us to get into the same top 10 school not so impressive. But I hope the heavens will be on our side :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my dear friends,

I'll keep my monologue here :)

I've got GA award, not a big one, but I guess it is also good think to put in my resume. Many schools have this line in their application form and now it will not be blank :)

Also, one of my pictures from electron microscope becomes more and more popular. It has almost no scientific valuability, but appearance of this object is just awesome! It was recognized as a "picture of the day" on some website that is doing review of the progress in nanotechnology. Also, it was published in journals and reviews in Poland and UK. Furthermore, NSF wants to put it in one of their galleries. Isn't it funny? Should I put it in my resume with al the l referencies ? :D

Yes, populism in science is extremely important part of success...

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Here is the reanimator coming :)

So, I finished my GRE: V-580; Q-790 AWA-4.0 (don't understand awa score - my essay and especially argument were just perfect. Ok, I don't care).

I've submitted my second paper.

Now I have: 2 papers in very good journals, 3 conference talks, 2 awards for outstanding graduate performance, 1 US patent in the process, 1 invited talk in very good shool.

Final university list:

UCLA

UIUC

UT Austin

UNC

USC

U Washington

OSU

U Michigan

U Wisconsin

Cornell or something like this (I don't know which one yet - but just for fun)

Any comments on my chances?

I second the TOEFL test. Well, I told Boston U that I am not going to take TOEFL because my course was conducted in English. I even told them that newborn's cry in my part of the world sounds English-y, but they don't give a hoot.:mad: Went to the extent of offering my precious time for an oral interview, but they use the BU POLICY to shield themselves from my missiles and never offer any Scuds! :doh:

Anyway, I have delisted them and looking for other worldly schools to vie for my talents :sleepy: ....

FYI, I was informed that I would be allowed waiver from CMU, NYU and Columbia, thus far!

Ok, I'll continue this thread anyway - maybe descendants find the info valuable :)

Here is some additional info about schools:

Texas A&M asks me to re-pass TOEFL disregard of the fact that I already did it (but, of course more then 2 y ago), my US MSc degree and TA experience. It seems stupid to me and I don't want to do this useless TOEFL-preparation-stuff again, so most likely I'll remove it from the list, since even such schools as Berkeley is not so picky...

UC Irvine also wants me to pass some English exams, namely TSE disregard of any of my achievements in using of speaking English language.

Well, I'll think about this, since it looks like frequently encountered requirements (I guess, I've seen something like this on UCLA & UIUC web sites) but don't want to spent my time on this either.

This is all news so far.

I second the TOEFL test. Well, I told Boston U that I am not going to take TOEFL because my course was conducted in English. I even told them that newborn's cry in my part of the world sounds English-y, but they don't give a hoot.:mad: Went to the extent of offering my precious time for an oral interview, but they use the BU POLICY to shield themselves from my missiles and never offer any Scuds! :doh:

Anyway, I have delisted them and looking for other worldly schools to vie for my talents :sleepy: ....

FYI, I was informed that I would be allowed waiver from CMU, NYU and Columbia, thus far!

Actually, I found on TAMU web site that if you have gre-v >400 you suppose to get TOEFL waiver (They never mention this to me in e-mail).

I will not apply there for some other reason - they did not give you tuition waiver. Paying tuition in the graduate school in my field is just stupid (well, but I'm doing it right now :( ). I'm done with all the courses, but I still must to pay ~ 400$ each month for the "great opportunity" to spend ~ 10-12 hours per day doing research for my current university.

I think it is unfair.

There are very few schools that require me to pass toefl again and all of them are in TX ;)

Hey Holden,

I did a research with a potential for publication in a leading journal, but didn't materialise because I was too busy wrapping up my thesis. Should I mention it in my application? Where best, SoP? LoR?

----------------------

Only communicative non-chemistry :D

Hey Holden,

I did a research with a potential for publication in a leading journal, but didn't materialise because I was too busy wrapping up my thesis. Should I mention it in my application? Where best, SoP? LoR?

----------------------

Only communicative non-chemistry :D

Hey, Blase,

Thanks for your participation :)

Well, it is good question. I'm also thinking about this - I have a bunch of unpublished research data with really amazing pictures. I've thought about some "supplementary material" format paper with brief description of the research and all projects, that I was involved in.

You could send it together with your SOP and just mention this paper in the SOP. If there is interested in you, they always can take a look on this paper.

I will probably do it, but later and only for the top schools. Now I'm extremely buzy with the "real science". :D

Just do it! You've got nothing to lose, even the admissions fee is worth the thought that you have tried.

Cheers.

Hi, Blase,

I'm just interested to now how realistic this ideas are. If would have no limitations - I'll for sure apply to big 10 only :)

BTW TAMU starts to pay tuition for all grad. students. This is true for Chemistry. Your could check yours department of interest ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly, few are quite in the chemistry league...

Anyway, let me add up to keep things plenty (hopefully)

Obviously, you had more experiences than me in the academe Holden.

I am currently applying just for three schools. I decided to apply those schools that are not quite top-ranked becuase of just one reason: Knowledge. That is, the same knowledge has a number 2 university to a number 1000 university.

Anyway,

Undergrad - a good university here

Grad - none, I would want to proceed to MS but I was given an offer to try for PhD.

Research experiences - only in doing thesis (individual thesis)

Work experiences - high school in a nuclear facility and undergrad in a pharmaceutical company (but, they are practicum and OJT)

Publications - since no graduate schools, mostly are undergrad symposiums through abstracts

Awards - a second place thesis poster and some certificates from the symposium and OJT, and a social science certificate, ceritifed licensed chemist certificate (jeez, lots of certificates... they love papers so much!)

Scores - 2.1 from 1.0 GPA (here, the reverse is the highest, instead of 4.0, it is 1.0 in increments of 0.25)

TOEFL - 277, GRE Chem (this nov. 12) GRE gen - first week of january, TSE (this dec. 9)

Schools to apply:

1. Clemson Univ

2. TAMU college station

3. Kansas Univ

Recommendations - well, they are all happy... they really want me to succeed and will do everything for this to happen

I am planning to submit all my credentials and other papers by December. While waiting, I could get a contractual work hopefully in R&D. But definitely, this plan will no longer reflect in the records, unless they asked for new ones recently.

thanks

Hi, Auburnph!

I'm very happy to see somebody from my area here!

I'm also preparing for GRE subj on 12 of November - trying to come through all this stuff in 2 weeks :crazy: What kind of books did you use for preparation? (Not just chemistry text-books, but special books for test preparation)

First of all - it seems that you schedule you GRE to late - many deadlines is in December. Very few shools have them after Jan and remember, it is 2 weeks needed to send you score! Maybe, it is possible to reschedule it?

What area of Chemistry do you like the most?

I can tell you about few schools, that you also could find reasonable (not top notch, because all this names are well known :^) ).

I have US news ranking so here are some good schools from top-50 that I would like to apply, but I cannot due to some personal reasons:

18 Pennsylvania State University (several very strong group in nanotech)

25 U of Colorado (good in phys. chem)

32 Georgia Tech (heard talks from several people - very interesting research)

35 Rice University (Richard Smalley - I took picture with him :D)

36 U of Florida (very good in nanotech)

38 U of Arizona

42 U of Utah (know about several strong groups from there)

I guess, if you pass GRE with the score above cut-offs - you could easily get in those schools. I would even try some from ivy league places :)

Also, why do you need GRE subj? Is it required in schools from you list? (I know, that TAMU does not require it for sure).

I tried to convert your GPA to 4 scale and came out with something similar to mine. Am I right?

Finally, it is better to apply in as many schools as possible. Applying to only 3 looks economically unreasonable, because GRE score could be sent for free in 4. Think about this ;)

Good luck to you and keep in touch! :tup:

Sadly, few are quite in the chemistry league...

Anyway, let me add up to keep things plenty (hopefully)

Obviously, you had more experiences than me in the academe Holden.

I am currently applying just for three schools. I decided to apply those schools that are not quite top-ranked becuase of just one reason: Knowledge. That is, the same knowledge has a number 2 university to a number 1000 university.

Anyway,

Undergrad - a good university here

Grad - none, I would want to proceed to MS but I was given an offer to try for PhD.

Research experiences - only in doing thesis (individual thesis)

Work experiences - high school in a nuclear facility and undergrad in a pharmaceutical company (but, they are practicum and OJT)

Publications - since no graduate schools, mostly are undergrad symposiums through abstracts

Awards - a second place thesis poster and some certificates from the symposium and OJT, and a social science certificate, ceritifed licensed chemist certificate (jeez, lots of certificates... they love papers so much!)

Scores - 2.1 from 1.0 GPA (here, the reverse is the highest, instead of 4.0, it is 1.0 in increments of 0.25)

TOEFL - 277, GRE Chem (this nov. 12) GRE gen - first week of january, TSE (this dec. 9)

Schools to apply:

1. Clemson Univ

2. TAMU college station

3. Kansas Univ

Recommendations - well, they are all happy... they really want me to succeed and will do everything for this to happen

I am planning to submit all my credentials and other papers by December. While waiting, I could get a contractual work hopefully in R&D. But definitely, this plan will no longer reflect in the records, unless they asked for new ones recently.

thanks

Hello Holden

Well, I have past GRE Chem books: Arco 1986, REA 2000, ETS (3rd Edition), and lastly, the recent one (2000 exam). Imagine, I have to read my lessons for two weeks. I want to try as much as possible to read the theories rather mathematical side especially in physical and inorganic. The organic is fine and the analytical is much emphasize (I think) in instrumentation.

I have checked their deadlines. The TAMU is in January 31, while the other two is on April 15, internationally speaking. Well, I think the time frame was quite fine. By the time of January, since the GRE General would take three weeks, the papers should be submitted and right on their tables by last week of January.

I always like organic chem. It was funny that when I was in my sophomore years, I am getting fair grades in this subject. But when I began my thesis about organic synthesis, the feeling of studying these again was quite great it was like (SO, this is how it was done, why I didn't think about this last time?)

Physcial is fine except the thermodynamics part and phase diagrams. But from electrochem, conductivity, kinetics and quantum, they are all nice and so nice. Analytical is good.

The grievances I only encounter in inorganic are the point groups and complex chemistry. We have this undergrad subject: Advanced Inorg Chem and we ended up only in molecular structures of complexes(ligand field theory, etc.). When I tried the GRE exam book, questions were mostly complexes that I am not aware of. The point groups, bleh, I keep asking to my classmates when will a molecule have a plane? They got the answers right bu not my question. The rotations are fine but why this will have a plabe while the other one isn't.

Yes, It is really not required. The TSE is required however in U. Kansas. But the fact that being an international student is different from a domestic student taking the same chem curricula, this would assess my skills if how I compare myself to them. They say highly recommended and I guess, being a BS degree wants to jump from MS to Ph D. really needs this.

Yes, how I wish I could apply for five or even seven. Unfortunately, they are the ones who will pay the requirements. ANyway, I have to keep my fingers crossed to these schools. I hope I could get in to TAMU, my first degree relative is an alumna (Ph D. Chem) there, so it mught be a great chance there.

The GPA here is just like reversing 1 to 4. If 1 is the failing grade followed by 2, 3, etc., then 5 is the failing grade here followed by 3, 2, etc. So, 2.1 becomes 2.9/4.0

Hopefully, I could do well in the test. I wonder what kind of questions do the test covers usually?

Thanks and good luck to you too. :)

Hello Holden

Well, I have past GRE Chem books: Arco 1986, REA 2000, ETS (3rd Edition), and lastly, the recent one (2000 exam). Imagine, I have to read my lessons for two weeks. I want to try as much as possible to read the theories rather mathematical side especially in physical and inorganic. The organic is fine and the analytical is much emphasize (I think) in instrumentation.

I have REA book - I'll start it today I more afraid of organics since I took it ~ 7 years ago and do not remember anything.

I have checked their deadlines. The TAMU is in January 31, while the other two is on April 15, internationally speaking. Well, I think the time frame was quite fine. By the time of January, since the GRE General would take three weeks, the papers should be submitted and right on their tables by last week of January.

Well, just remember, that many schools has early deadline for assistantship application, and also some of them work on first-came-first-serve basis.

The grievances I only encounter in inorganic are the point groups and complex chemistry. We have this undergrad subject: Advanced Inorg Chem and we ended up only in molecular structures of complexes(ligand field theory, etc.). When I tried the GRE exam book, questions were mostly complexes that I am not aware of. The point groups, bleh, I keep asking to my classmates when will a molecule have a plane? They got the answers right bu not my question. The rotations are fine but why this will have a plabe while the other one isn't.

It is amazing book about symmetry: "Symmetry through the Eyes of a Chemist"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0306448521/002-9582919-5967246?v=glance

I'm sure - you can find it in local library. It is really interesting and explains all the molecular symmetry stuff in very funny and clear why.

Yes, It is really not required. The TSE is required however in U. Kansas. But the fact that being an international student is different from a domestic student taking the same chem curricula, this would assess my skills if how I compare myself to them. They say highly recommended and I guess, being a BS degree wants to jump from MS to Ph D. really needs this.

Ok, it is good point, but remember - better not to send GRE subj score at all then to send the bad one.

The GPA here is just like reversing 1 to 4. If 1 is the failing grade followed by 2, 3, etc., then 5 is the failing grade here followed by 3, 2, etc. So, 2.1 becomes 2.9/4.0

Well, I advise you not convert it to 4.0 scale - it looks kind of low in this case.

Hopefully, I could do well in the test. I wonder what kind of questions do the test covers usually?

Did you get bulletin? It has detailed description of all topics + sample test. I'm just going through this list.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Well, I am thinking actually if I should just retain the original average as how it was graded here rather gathering up wits and trying to reverse a failing 5 to a failing 1.

I've seen the sample. The ETS did come up lots of good topics: the keyword was "not definitive". Obviously, I have no choice but to read the book. But I think that the best tactic would be to concentrate on what you know and master them. If time allows, read more and more.

I think, I'll follow your advice. Better keep your GRE score to yourself rather show it to them if it came out bad. (Hopefully not). I hope I could submit my credentials before the holidays. (Hmmm... GRE before holidays or after holidays???)

Your welcome.