Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chemistry people: Is the anybody out there ?

CHEMISTRY MAJOR Holden_Caulfield's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Chemistry people: Is the anybody out there ?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello, Dear Collegues !
    It seems to me that there are only few persons related to Chemistry. Maybe there are more ? Let's share our admission concernes and identify ourself !

Few words about myself:

Due to some family-related stuff I need to leave my current university soon and start PhD program in some other place. Here is my current profile, that I hope will be a little bit enhanced till the moment of application:

Undegraduate
    : Very good university in my native country
    Undegraduate GPA: 3.2 (yes, I had a lot of fun there )
    Graduate: MS form not well-known US university but still somehwere in top 100.
    Graduate GPA: 4.0 (Honors Graduate)
    Research expirience:
    3 different scientific institutions in my native country during undegrad (Organic, Inorganic &Physical Chemistry) + written thesis
    2.5 years in US university with well-known proff. Many different projects with many modern phys. chem. methods involved.
    Totall: more then 5 years.
    Teaching experience:
    1.5 years. Mostly 400 level advanced chemistry classes + some beginners physics
    Publications: 1 in very good ACS journal
    Conferences: 1 oral international (ECS)
    Patents: 1 in process
    Recomendations: hope, will be very good from more or less known people.
    GRE is not finished yet.

Schools for PhD:
    UC Berkeley
    Northwestern University
    UT Austin
    UC Irvine
    U of South California
    UI Urbana-Champaign
    Texas A&M
    UC Davis
    U Penn
    U of North Carolina

Any comments will be very helpful as well as the sharing of the any expereince and ideas concerning admission to Chem. PhD!

I hope, this trend will be helpful for people with similar major.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Holden_Caulfield; 05-25-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Good post? Yes | No
    Well, it seems to me that I'm the only communicative chemistry person here.
    Sad

Good post? Yes | No
    Ok, I'll continue this thread anyway - maybe descendants find the info valuable
    Here is some additional info about schools:

Texas A&M asks me to re-pass TOEFL disregard of the fact that I already did it (but, of course more then 2 y ago), my US MSc degree and TA experience. It seems stupid to me and I don't want to do this useless TOEFL-preparation-stuff again, so most likely I'll remove it from the list, since even such schools as Berkeley is not so picky...

UC Irvine also wants me to pass some English exams, namely TSE disregard of any of my achievements in using of speaking English language.
    Well, I'll think about this, since it looks like frequently encountered requirements (I guess, I've seen something like this on UCLA & UIUC web sites) but don't want to spent my time on this either.

This is all news so far.

Good post? Yes | No
    More inputs from the schools. Everybody wants me to pass TSE I don't think it would be a problem, I just don't want to pay 125$ for this cr*p + 17$ per each extra university.
    I guess, a lot of universities has a strong ETS lobby

Also, I was acknowledged as a co-author of the talk in closed to public conference. How can I put it in my resume?

Good post? Yes | No
    More inputs from shools:
    UTAustin also wnats everybody to pass TOEFL nevertheless MSc degree. I don't believe that I'll do it again!
    I've edited my list by removing "picky" californian schools that I had chance to visit (and even give the talk about my research). For now it looks like this:

UC Berkeley
    UT Austin
    U of South California
    UI Urbana-Champaign
    Texas A&M
    U of North Carolina
    OSU
    U Maryland
    U Washington
    Duke

I've got my abstracts accepted to one more conference. I hope I'll give a talk there and it will help me a little bit ...

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello
    Your credentials look very impressive. My sincere suggestion is that you can aim for the best schools of your choice. Definitely your research exp. counts a ton. (I am not a person who give suggestions with out facing them, I got admitted in to pretty good school though my gre score is awkward because I have exp. in research. I got the opportunity to talk with them and explain them how much I am interested in their program. Regarding TOEFL, its not so much to worry when you are preparing for GRE and if you are in US. I think you should not loose any of your choice just because you don't want to give TOEFL.

Good Luck!!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by bujji
    Hello
    Your credentials look very impressive. My sincere suggestion is that you can aim for the best schools of your choice. Definitely your research exp. counts a ton. (I am not a person who give suggestions with out facing them, I got admitted in to pretty good school though my gre score is awkward because I have exp. in research. I got the opportunity to talk with them and explain them how much I am interested in their program. Regarding TOEFL, its not so much to worry when you are preparing for GRE and if you are in US. I think you should not loose any of your choice just because you don't want to give TOEFL.

Good Luck!!
    Hi bujji,
    I really appreciate your comment!
    The problem is that we have "two body problem" and chances for both of us to get into the same top 10 school not so impressive. But I hope the heavens will be on our side

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi my dear friends,
    I'll keep my monologue here
    I've got GA award, not a big one, but I guess it is also good think to put in my resume. Many schools have this line in their application form and now it will not be blank
    Also, one of my pictures from electron microscope becomes more and more popular. It has almost no scientific valuability, but appearance of this object is just awesome! It was recognized as a "picture of the day" on some website that is doing review of the progress in nanotechnology. Also, it was published in journals and reviews in Poland and UK. Furthermore, NSF wants to put it in one of their galleries. Isn't it funny? Should I put it in my resume with al the l referencies ?
    Yes, populism in science is extremely important part of success...

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi folks,
    Here is the reanimator coming
    So, I finished my GRE: V-580; Q-790 AWA-4.0 (don't understand awa score - my essay and especially argument were just perfect. Ok, I don't care).

I've submitted my second paper.

Now I have: 2 papers in very good journals, 3 conference talks, 2 awards for outstanding graduate performance, 1 US patent in the process, 1 invited talk in very good shool.

Final university list:

UCLA
    UIUC
    UT Austin
    UNC
    USC
    U Washington
    OSU
    U Michigan
    U Wisconsin

Cornell or something like this (I don't know which one yet - but just for fun)

Any comments on my chances?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I second the TOEFL test. Well, I told Boston U that I am not going to take TOEFL because my course was conducted in English. I even told them that newborn's cry in my part of the world sounds English-y, but they don't give a hoot. Went to the extent of offering my precious time for an oral interview, but they use the BU POLICY to shield themselves from my missiles and never offer any Scuds!

Anyway, I have delisted them and looking for other worldly schools to vie for my talents ....

FYI, I was informed that I would be allowed waiver from CMU, NYU and Columbia, thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_Caulfield
    Ok, I'll continue this thread anyway - maybe descendants find the info valuable
    Here is some additional info about schools:

Texas A&M asks me to re-pass TOEFL disregard of the fact that I already did it (but, of course more then 2 y ago), my US MSc degree and TA experience. It seems stupid to me and I don't want to do this useless TOEFL-preparation-stuff again, so most likely I'll remove it from the list, since even such schools as Berkeley is not so picky...

UC Irvine also wants me to pass some English exams, namely TSE disregard of any of my achievements in using of speaking English language.
    Well, I'll think about this, since it looks like frequently encountered requirements (I guess, I've seen something like this on UCLA & UIUC web sites) but don't want to spent my time on this either.

This is all news so far.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information