Urch Forums

Declined Admit 3yrs ago-arg!

forjodes

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some suggestions on reapplying to grad school. I was accepted to two schools about 3 years ago and wasn't able to attend because some family situations. Now, I am ready to restart the admit process but I'm nervous about contacting my old profs for recommendations again. How to approach them-any thoughts?

Thx!

I think if you could explain to them the problems you had ... they should understand and write new recommendation. You can emphasise how badly tou wanted to go and these in these three years you have made your application and case stronger.

I don't think you will have any problems with your old profs. I mean, there is nothing wrong or unethical about declining an admission no matter what the reason.

If you want to apply to the same schools, well they may look you up in their records and that could be negative point. But that is solvable too, by adding an explenation in your SOP.

By the way, you didn't accept the admission offers and then not, go did you? That could make things worse at that school.

And you didn't get a visa and then not go, did you (considering that you applied to the US)? Because that could make things tough when you want to reapply for a visa.

Its inspiring to see people like your self who are thinking of starting again after a delay.

I wish you good luck.

u may actually be able to call the place u declined the admission to and see if they will not reactivate your application. So- u could actually avoid having to do a second application, or bother getting recommendations again.

I did this, and was very surprised that they were willing to take me again (And then I ended up not going anyway, due to financial reasons).

I think there is some sort of time limit on those things though, but u shoudl try bcoz it could work out and then be EZ.

to Brown: not necessarily. I had a situation exactly the way you described a couple of years ago (e.g., got into a couple of schools, accepted one offer, got a visa, then in the middle of the summer had to pull out, for family reasons). This year I was admitted again (to a different school though), and in the embasy I didn't have any problems. The officer did ask me why I had another F-1 visa stamped, but after a very short explanation he was ok.