Urch Forums

Univ's w/ no GRE requirement

mekatoka

Hi all,

I am searching for universities that do not require GRE to get an admission in to the computer science major. This is for someone I know who has got some bad results in the exam.

Currently I know of the following

(1) University of Northern Virginia in Manassas, VA (www.unva.edu)

(2) Purdue Univ.-WestLafayette(IN)

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/graduate_program/

I knew about the first one through an agent and they are asking for a huge amount as fees. Does anyone have any more information about (1) in above. The university charges students an amount of 3k to allow the students to allow to work 40hrs when studying. However, this is only good for someone with experience and skill set.

Currently, I live in Michigan and it would be great if there was something here. I know of one (www.findlay.edu) in Ohio but it doesn't offer computer science graduate programs.

If anyone knows any more please share.

Thanks

Mekatoka

PS: This is for someone coming from India.

The no GRE requirement for Purdue may be for US Citizens only. But I'm not 100% sure, you might want to call purdue to be sure.

Also, even though they say its not required, the graduate application has a place for your gre score. So if someone has a good GRE score, they can put it in the application. This was the online app.

digi123

As Scheng said cal state don't require GRE. ITs true , but only for few fields. and also depends upon which cal state. I know about cal state sacramento, don't require GRE for Civil engineering.

But i'm sure that for CS/EE almost all the cal states require GRE's..

BTW, why don't you give GRE????

Thank you all for the replies.

My friend is a relative of mine and hasn't been able to score good in the exams and I believe there is not much he can do in that matter.

Here are his scores

TOEFL 200/3.5

GRE 340(Q)230(V)3(A)

I live in Michigan (close to detroit) and so was looking for something closer to me.

And I know that when you opt for universities without GRE you get in to virtually unknown universities but the situation is like that.

Any more suggestions?

Here are his scores

TOEFL 200/3.5

GRE 340(Q)230(V)3(A)

Hmm...these are really low scores, what's the reason why he can't bring up these scores? If he wants to go to grad school for computer science, no matter where he's at, he should break at least 500 for his Quantitative. I mean, how is he going to pass his classes I wonder? Does he really want to go to grad school or is his family pushing him? If he is close to you, you are signing up for a lot of commitment to his success.

With these scores, it's not even about the GRE anymore, it's about can he make it through grad school and does he want to?

I agree with every point you are saying and I do not have an answer for it. The situation here is more like the guy wants to come to USA and their parents are ready to send him.

Now, being so close to the family and having been living here for past 6 yrs I feel responsible to atleast help him to go to the best possible school/place in his situation.

For instance the univ which we found through the agent (www.unva.edu) charges 3k just to allow you to work full time (which is not normal at other universities). But it is not helpful for him as he doesn't have good skills that will allow him to score a job.

I agree with every point you are saying and I do not have an answer for it. The situation here is more like the guy wants to come to USA and their parents are ready to send him.

Now, being so close to the family and having been living here for past 6 yrs I feel responsible to atleast help him to go to the best possible school/place in his situation.

For instance the univ which we found through the agent (www.unva.edu) charges 3k just to allow you to work full time (which is not normal at other universities). But it is not helpful for him as he doesn't have good skills that will allow him to score a job.

Okay, this is my opinion:

I know you want to help but I think you need to be frank with your relative and his family about how he's not going to do well in grad school if he's not serious. I've seen too many people send their kids to the US and the kids get so frustrated with school that they drop out or get kicked out but take their family's money anyway. Some eventually gamble and some get in trouble with the law. Not telling them that they are not in school anymore.

When you are not doing well in school AND you don't have job skills, then it's very easy for the kids to just take money from the parents and squander it with the bad crowd. If you know that he just wants to come to the US and is not serious about studying, then you should tell his family (whether or not they listen to you, but at least you told them). Sometimes Asian families think that by sending their kids (some are already troublemakers in their countries) to the US, it will fix them. Many times, it makes it even worse. I grew up with many of them. Coming to the US might be very risky for your relative if you already think that he might not be serious about school and he can't get a job.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...