Urch Forums

Boston University vs UI-Urbana Champaign - Masters Economics?

schizaam

Hi Guys !

I have received admits for the following courses:

MA-Economics from Boston University and

MS-Economics from University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign

Both of these colleges have not provided me with any financial assistance so far.

My subject of specialization is Development Economics and Public Policy Making.

Could you please tell me which of these two options will be better and please also let me know the reasons for your opinion.

Thanx....

Schizaam

I've done the BU Econ MA. It is certainly among the strongest US MA Econ programs (limited though these are in number). I think they're very strong in Public (the MA program has multiple Public Econ courses, as well as multiple Labor and Health Care econ policy courses) and fairly good in development. The classes can be quite math-intensive, particularly the Econometrics course in 2nd semester, so ensure that you have an adequate background or else take the Math for Economists course offered in the fall.

Hi kcure !!

Thanks for the reply... I am a international student and was wondering what are the chances of getting financial assistance in the MA program at BU. Also what are the job options like once you have completed the course.

Midori: Thanks for the quick response ;-)

Schizaam

If you're concerned about finances (especially considering that you didn't get any financial aid), go with UIUC. THe cost of living is literally about 25% of what you'd have to pay in Boston (think, a 1 bdrm apartment for $500 instead of $1500, no need to pay for public transportation, etc. etc. etc.). So if that factors into your decision, go to UIUC.

Hi kcure !

Thanks for the reply... I am a international student and was wondering what are the chances of getting financial assistance in the MA program at BU. Also what are the job options like once you have completed the course.

Midori: Thanks for the quick response ;-)

Schizaam

I did the program as well (although not through the economics program, long story). BU is very stingy when it comes to aid for the MA program, I don't remember a single student that was there that was on aid, unless they were doing the combined BA/MA program. Kcure is right, they are quite strong in public economics, and the econometrics class was quite strong the year I took it. Micro is good, especially if Tandon is still teaching it, and while people had mixed reviews for the Macro prof, I loved him (he was my thesis advisior, although he is currently on leave due to health concerns). If you have any specific questions about the prorgram, feel free to message me.

Considering cost of living and lack of fin. aid BU might be a expensive school as compared to UIUC, but if the job options are better after BU then it might just be worth the investment.

What are the job options like at BU, will I be forced to continue with a Phd or can I get a job with the MA ??

Afaik, there is no aid for MA at Boston U, and Boston is indeed a very expensive city. In general, the program isn't a pre-PhD program; perhaps 2 or 3 students a year apply for PhD out of the MA program. The vast majority go work. The salaries I've heard tend to be in the 45-60k range for those staying in the US, though of course this depends on experience. I would say most will work in private sector research, then US govt., then foreign government. Since the MA class is very international (there are probably 2 dozen countries represented this year), the program has a quite good reputation overseas.

If you're really interested in the money, the Math Finance MA is a 3-semester, 12-month program that opens up a number of very high-paying jobs when you graduate.

• 5 years later...
Afaik, there is no aid for MA at Boston U, and Boston is indeed a very expensive city. In general, the program isn't a pre-PhD program; perhaps 2 or 3 students a year apply for PhD out of the MA program. The vast majority go work. The salaries I've heard tend to be in the 45-60k range for those staying in the US, though of course this depends on experience. I would say most will work in private sector research, then US govt., then foreign government. Since the MA class is very international (there are probably 2 dozen countries represented this year), the program has a quite good reputation overseas.

If you're really interested in the money, the Math Finance MA is a 3-semester, 12-month program that opens up a number of very high-paying jobs when you graduate.

You mentioned the graduates who go to work in BU. Could you please describe that how many international graduates from MA in BU find jobs there? THANKS