Urch Forums

accommodation - when to start looking for it?

Ivo

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know when is the ideal time to look for accommodation?

And what do you think of uni-accommodation vs. private housing?

Specifically for Berkeley now:

- I've read at calrentals.com that it's almost imposible to find housing before arriving to campus. Is that true? Should I really postpone this till my arrival to Cal?

- what about places like Ihouse (international house)? Could anyone comment on that?

what I am looking for is most likely a shared apartment or anything like that. I'd like to have my own room while sharing kitchen, bathroom etc. with others, possibly grad. students. Of course it needs to be close to campus (withing walking distance if possible). Anyone who would know how much could this cost and and how to proceed with the search?

thank you for your replies,

ivo

Ivo,

I went to berkeley as an undergrad and will be going this fall to the ag econ program.

A good place to check for rentals is craigslist.org. I think graduate student housing is about $900 per month. You can probably get a room cheaper than that on craigslist. Since most people are looking to rent their place within the next month, it will probalby be difficult to secure a rental more than 30 days in advanced (unless of course you are willing to pay for an empty space).

If you come to Berkeley in July, I don't think you will have any problems finding a place. The southside of campus is move lively (more bars, restaurants) and also less expensive. The northside is more expensive and quieter.

Campus housing is usually decent (clean rooms, safe, etc. . . ) Campus housing is more expensive than sharing a room with other people in an apartment, but it will be cheaper than if you attempt to rent an apartment on your own. The problem lies in finding quality roomates.

Send me a pm or email if you have more questions. Good luck.

thank you Devecon, I just sent you a PM.

as it seems I don't have to worry about accommodation now. that's good news since I am rather busy these days. i just wanted to make sure that I don't miss anything important.

JpWhite, is the housing at campus usually better in the US? I've heard it's much more expensive.

I think it depends on your university. There are some benifits to campus housing, in that almost everything is taken care of for you, energy bills are covered (a big deal now that natural gas and electricity prices are rising fast), many times they come furnished, and they tend to be close to campus. It is a toss up as to whether they are more expensive or less expensive, I have seen universities that have been both. When I was out in Berkeley (girlfriend lived there), it seemed like the housing right around the school was pretty expensive, and that only by grabbing a bunch of roommates were students able to get the cost down. I don't know if this is the case in general, or even now (I havent been out there for two years or so).

I would still contact your campus housing department, they will often times have a person or a group of people that coordinate offcampus housing (my undergrad school did this) and will be able to answer your questions for you.

Sorry I cant be more specific, it really does depend on each school. Good luck to you.

Craig's List (http://www.craigslist.org) is a great way to find housing in any metro area - especially near universities, as students tend to populate the intraweb more than other groups...

I would suggest, however, starting to at least look right now (especially if you've got a math camp to be attending). I've already lined up a room for summer research in Atlanta (which starts in June), so there's a chance that some "Avaliable in August" listings might be popping up soon. At least get an idea of the different housing areas and costs and the like.

University-owned housing is a good choice for those who are willing to pay extra (sometimes a lot extra) to avoid hassles - most of it will be clean, safe, and near the campus.

- I've read at calrentals.com that it's almost imposible to find housing before arriving to campus. Is that true? Should I really postpone this till my arrival to Cal?

- what about places like Ihouse (international house)? Could anyone comment on that?

I have kind of the same problem. I will go to Berkeley (almost surely ;) ) this fall and I’m looking for some decent place in walking distance to Evans Hall. However, my situation is a bit more complicated as I’ll be accompanied by my lovely wife. Thus I would need more than just one room.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

I have kind of the same problem. I will go to Berkeley (almost surely ;) ) this fall and I’m looking for some decent place in walking distance to Evans Hall. However, my situation is a bit more complicated as I’ll be accompanied by my lovely wife. Thus I would need more than just one room.

I have kind of the same problem. I will go to Berkeley (almost surely ;-) this fall and I’m looking for some decent place in walking distance to Evans Hall. However, my situation is a bit more complicated as I’ll be accompanied by my lovely wife. Thus I would need more than just one room.

I have started ASAP.

Check this very useful site:

http://www.apartmentratings.com

It has reviews of formal and current residents - it could decrease chances to rent a lemon.

Good luck!

I have started ASAP.

Check this very useful site:

http://www.apartmentratings.com

It has reviews of formal and current residents - it could decrease chances to rent a lemon.

Good luck!