Urch Forums

Biology/Biomedical Science/Microbiology Interview Invitations

BioKid33

Hey everyone-

I just thought it would be helpful to start a thread where all us biology kids post where we get interview invites (or eventually acceptances).

So here we go!

~Kristyn

Applied: UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, Harvard, Columbia, University of Washington, Duke, UPenn, UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory

Accepted: not yet....

Interviews: UPenn (Jan 18) and UNC-Chapel Hill (Feb 23-24 or March 16-17)

Denied: let's hope for none...

• Like 2

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first to join the flock!

---David

Applied: UCSF (BMS), UCSD (BMS), Harvard (DMS), Columbia (BMS), University of Washington (Genome sciences), MIT (biology), UT-Austin.

Accepted: I hear interviews are the same thing, as long as you don't puke on a professor....

Interviews: UCSF (Jan 22nd)

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/tm_images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.www.urch.com/forums/tm_images/buttons/reputation.gif vbrep_register("404890") http://www.www.urch.com/forums/tm_images/buttons/report.gif

• Like 1

Applied: Harvard, MIT, Yale, Cornell Weill, NYU Sackler, UPenn, and Purdue

Accepted: none yet but Purdue is a shoe-in since I go there now

Interviews: Cornell Weill Feb 21-24 (all expenses paid)

I am curious about UPenn, when were you guys complete? I was complete somewhere around 12/22/06 since one of my recs took forever to recieve. I am excited about Cornell Weill! It's one of my top choices... Also, I have been talking to a professor @ Yale BBS and he seems to like my work and told me he would draw attention to my application... Does this mean I should expect an interview?

Anyone know anything about the admissions stats for Cornell Weill or Yale?

Oh and my stats of course 3.7 Purdue Radiological Sciences

1280 GRE 4.5 (770 Q 510 V)

Recs are probably the strongest part of my app (I have 3 recs who will say I am "truely exceptional"... dunno if that's the truth, but oh well lol)

Research experience (independent research, submitted papers)

SOP is good, obviously it's hard to say if these are spectacular

just an all around solid application except for my GRE verbal score which I hope won't hurt me too much! You all seem to have great stats and applications as well, I hope you all do well in the process..

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

nice to meet some other bioscience people.

My stats: GRE chem 950 (99%), GRE V: 600 (85%), Q: 800 (94%), AWA: 6.0 (96%), GPA 4.00, international student, some research experience

I'd like to give you some advice concerning interviews:

You might be asked to give a short presentation, say between 5 and 15 minutes. Always have a suitable topic ready. Learn the presentation by heart in order to keep the time limit.

Find out who will be interviewing you. Read a paper (e.g. Nature, Science etc) by one of the main interviewers to get an idea of their field, the techniques they apply etc.

Find out what the interviewers are looking for. If you apply to a Medicinal Chemistry for Cancer program, as I did, you will have to demonstrate strong skills in practical organic chemistry, theoretical chemistry, molecular modelling, pharmacology, cancer biology etc.

Be prepared to write a short essay on your motivation for the program (e.g. within a 10 minute time limit).

Do not be intimidated by large applicant numbers. (MedChem: ~140 apps for ~15 interviews for ~2 places)

All the best for your interviews.

Does anyone know how Oxford compares to the other schools I'm applying to? Is anyone familiar with the college system at Oxford?

Applied: MIT, Harvard, Yale, Caltech, Oxford

Accepted: Oxford (Medicinal Chemistry for Cancer Studentship)

Interviews: Oxford (18 Dec)

One more to the list... UT Austin ( a safety, but it only took them a week after apps were due to reply back... verrryyy niiiiceee!)

I applied to Biomedical science programs, but only because I prefer a translational emphasis to basic science. My particular interests lie in the role of mobile genetic elements (transposons) and/or epigenetic phenomena in determining cellular fate. My top choice is MIT (whitehead institute is very strong in this regard).

Applied: UCSF (BMS), UCSD (BMS), Harvard (DMS), Columbia (BMS), University of Washington (Genome sciences), MIT (biology), UT-Austin (cell/molecular).

Accepted: I hear interviews are the same thing, as long as you don't puke on a professor....

Interviews: UCSF (Jan 25th), UT Austin (Jan 19th, maybe)

Profile:

Program: Molecular Genetics/Developmental Biology

B.S.: UC San Diego

GPA: 3.2, 3.0 (in major, I was a slacker, i'll admit it)

GRE: 660V (93%), 720Q (75%), 6.0AW (96%)

SubGRE: Biochem: 580 (71%)

Research experience: 3 years as an undergrad, 1 year out of school. Various projects from transgenic mice, genomics/bioinformatics, mol. pharmacology, to in vitro organ cultures. 4 publications, 2 second author one of which is a chapter in a book. 1 conference poster.

Recommendations: 4 references, each heads of their respective departments.

SoP: some kind of mishmash of my NSF essays.

Pengaterch,

I applied to the Biomedical science program at Upenn (Cell Bio program, Microbiology and Parasitology) and I finished my application on about December 10 and they got back to me on the 19th...

All the rest of the programs were Biomedical science, Biological science, or some other whacky variation of biology. When forced, I chose Immunology or Molecular biology as a speacialty.

Hey ShoMeYourOhFace and Tearshedding,

What do you guys know about Columbia's program (Biological science)? Is it any good?

I hope we all hear more soon!! I want into a Cali school so badly...it's not fair they are so biased towards their residents (no offense Tearshedding!)

Good luck all!! :wacko:

biokid,

I don't think you can call it "unfair" (i dunno if you were joking or not before) since state schools implement admission policies in conjunction with the state since they receive public funding.

I also wanted your opinions on something that happened to me recently...

I got an email from one of the Deans at NYU Sackler and he said he needed my GRE scores and that "they were very interested in my application"

I emailed him back with my scores and told him that I was looking for was to visiting NYU and meeting with faculty if I was granted an interview etc etc.

He emailed me back saying thank you for sending the scores over email and that "I will hear from them within the next 2 weeks".

I know people who were rejected from NYU Sackler and didn't receive notice till the beginning of March...

Do you think I'm going to get an Interview???

I think Harvard and Yale review applications soon!

OhFace,

Yeah, I know it's just policy, but I'm jealous that they have an easier time getting in!!

I would think that a personal e-mail is a very good sign!! Usually if they are going to interview you, etc they let you know early. But for rejections they take their time letting you know, which is probably why your friend heard back so late.

Good luck!

I believe acceptance rates are anywhere from 60-80%. For instance, take the average high end school with ~500 applications. They will generally interview ~100, and accept around ~80. Now they fully expect ~70% of these kids (or more) to go to different schools, so that leaves them with just about 20 kids ( or more on waitlist), which is genereally the entering class. Most of the top schools are recruiting the same group of students, who have applied to very similar schools. Just look in our cases, we all have an overlap of schools of around >60%.

This ain't med school folks. Grad schools gotta find cheap labor somewhere.

I got another...

Emory University called me yesterday to set up an interview on February 9th

Still waiting for any of my top 5 to get in touch! :hmm:

~Kristyn

Applied: UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, Harvard, Columbia, University of Washington, Duke, UPenn, UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory

Accepted: not yet....

Interviews: UPenn (Jan 18) and UNC-Chapel Hill (Feb 23-24 or March 16-17), Emory (Feb 9)

Hi guys,

Well, I have yet to hear from any schools. Then again, I submitted most of them around the 14th of December, so they probably haven't been looked at yet! Here's hoping we all hear good news in the next couple of weeks.

Here's my list:

Applied: UCSF, Stanford, UPenn, UCSD, U Washington, U Wisconsin- Madison, UNC- Chapel Hill, SUNY- Stony Brook, OHSU

Interviews: None just yet!

Accepted: We'll see.

Rejected: I hope not.

I'm interested in Developmental Biology so I chose schools based on the research being done there and labs I would be interested in joining.

I posted my stats in a different thread, but I'll put them here again:

GPA: 3.12 (UC)

GRE: 750Q 690V 5.0

Research: ~2 years, UCSF lab

Letters: 2 from UCSF, 1 from undergrad professor

Papers: None yet, working on it

I actually just talked to an admissions coordinator (her office is on my floor) and she said their committee hasn't even met to review applications yet. They will be meeting next week, then sending out invites. It's probably similar for other schools.

Tear,

I applied to Tetrad, but I think others may have applied to BMS. Let us know how your interview goes though!

Sho,

SF is pretty darn expensive, but there is some top notch cancer reserach going on here. Try not to fret about not applying though! Better not to worry about things you can't change. Besides, if being close to home is important to you, living all the way out here may not be the best for you.