Sponsored Ad:

Thread: courageously optimistic

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

courageously optimistic

Sponsored Ad:
    I didn't have time to retake the GRE so I decided to submit three applications. Here are my stats:

Double major journalism and sociolgy. I'm applying for a phD in Sociology. I know how did I score so poorly on verbal as journalism major - standardize tests aren't my strong point.

verbal 410
    quant 390
    awa 4.5
    gpa 3.7

I'm not applying to Ivies but third tier schools. The schools I applied to have holistic admissions standards. I don't think I'll boost my GRE scores . I had to send in SOP and a writing sample. I put lots of energy into my writing sample and SOP. I spoke with my undergrad advisor he said the awa is promising.

Anyone care to give feedback. Good luck to all.

Good post? Yes | No
    [quote=patricia47;413305]
    verbal 410
    quant 390
    awa 4.5
    gpa 3.7
    [quote]

Actually, you should undertake every effort to repeat your GRE test. Your results are not competitive at all; a few weeks of training could significantly improve your scores. Btw how long did you prepare for the GRE?
    As your UGPA is quite good, I think you should really work on your GRE scores. What schools, specifically, are you applying to?

Good post? Yes | No
    I would retake if I were you. I'm sure this is not your true ability and you can do better after some more practise...

Good post? Yes | No

ETS are crooks

Yeah....I know I should retest but I'm reluctant to do so.

ETS are a bunch of crooks, shaking down students and prying the last penny out of their wallets.

I qualified for the GRE fee waiver because I'm a low-income student; therefore, I question the integrity of test. I think it's a conspiracy by ETS to squeeze more money out of people. I think ETS is scamming people, and I don't like it.

As far as studying for the exam, I checked out books from my university library. I spent about two weeks on test prep.

Good post? Yes | No
    patricia,

I recommend you to take as many practice tests as possible; you can download POWERPRER for free from ETS. Also, use the testmagic site to prepare for retaking the test. Get you your own preparation book (e.g. Princeton or Kaplan) and learn all the vocabulary (~300).
    Then you will know the most important words and will score much better the next time. Also, check out the GRE basic diagnostic service: enter your registration number etc. and get a list of your correct and incorrect answers shown by question type.

All the best,

hamilton1

Thread Information