Urch Forums

Interview Question: Did you apply to other schools?

hamilton1

At an Ivy League interview, a professor asked me if I had applied to other schools as well:rolleyes:. I told the truth (of course I had applied to several schools), but didn't give names.

What do you think of the question? What do they want to test? Does it mean they want to reject me?

Thanks for your comments!

At an Ivy League interview, a professor asked me if I had applied to other schools as well:rolleyes:. I told the truth (of course I had applied to several schools), but didn't give names.

What do you think of the question? What do they want to test? Does it mean they want to reject me?

Thanks for your comments!

Hi Hamilton,

I personally do not think that it matters at all. Just tell them the truth. If a student were to say that he applied to just one school, he would be considered border-line insane.

Usually you will have a lot of overlap with your fellow applicants so they'll be used to hearing the same names....in any case, just emphasize that the main reason you're applying to their program is that you are interested in their research...at the end of the day, thats the most important thing.

Only borderline insane?

I'm applying to programs that admit between 5-15 people out of around 200 applicants. Of course I'm applying to other programs, thats just common sense.

When I've been asked that question, I tell them what other programs I've applied to, the faculty that I'm interested in working with and why. That (I hope) conveys that I've done my research, and know what I'm looking for. I've had more than one professor tell me that I need to apply to at least 6 programs...