Urch Forums

Calling all CS grad school applicants

Modeler

I thought it might be neat to see where everyone is applying and what they've heard back. So anyone who applied to CS grad school this year, whether its MS or PhD, post where you applied and who've you've heard from.

As for me:

(PhD programs)

Accepted :tup::

Michigan

Maryland (Applied Math and Scientific Computation)

Rejected :rolleyes::

Harvard (Systems Bio, not CS)

Stanford

Wait-listed :hmm::

Carnegie Mellon (Computers, Organization, and Society)

Still waiting on :whistle::

Duke

NYU

Brown

Penn

Northwestern

Cornell

Also, thegradcafe trend seems to be that internationals may be reviewed separately, since I see predominately internationals posting results at this time. If you wouldn't mind specifying whether or not you are international, it might be interesting to compare the TM population with thegradcafe population.

As for me, I am American.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume from your list that you are from Canada? I wonder how Canadians are treated in the application process at American schools. I mean technically you are internationals but presumably there would be a lot less difficulty on average bringing Canadians down than from all over the world. Out of your remaining places, what is your top choice?

Well, not actually. I'm Iranian and I live and study in Malaysia. So, yes, there is enough difficulty for me to move to US/Canada (you know we have 12 hours time difference with you guys! That's right at the other side of the earth!).

My top choice would be Purdue, but I don't really know what are the criteria they are looking for! So, Just wish me luck.

I've Applied and been accepted to all five:

UC Berkeley (EE/CS PhD)

CMU (CS PhD)

NYU (CS PhD)

Rice University (CS PhD)

University of British Columbia, Canada (CS MSc)

Congrats, these are super admits :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

I remember your superb AGRE score, but would you mind sharing the rest of your profile?

Congrats, these are super admits :tup:

I remember your superb AGRE score, but would you mind sharing the rest of your profile?

GRE 800Q, 620V, 4AWA

GRE CS 870, 97th percentile

TOEFL 110

BA in CS, Summa Cum Lauda from a top-150 university (according to the 2007 Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranking - their methodology is a bit woo-woo, so it's just to give a reference).

3 conference papers (fortunately it seems that no one in the committee read them :D).

Almost 8 years of experience in an industrial research lab and in the industry in a field closely related to the one I want to do my PhD in. I tried to make my SOP as focused as possible.

I selected schools according to potential advisers, and would be very happy to work with all of them.

Also, I thought you people might be interested to learn that in my SOP for both of the places I've been accepted so far (UMich and UMD), I mentioned how much I looked forward to rooting for their sports teams! Just an interesting coincidence, or do big state schools consider this a plus in an application?

gttts23, when did you hear from NYU? I haven't heard back from them yet, but then my profile isn't quite as stellar as yours.

NYU were the last to reply, the email arrived less than a day ago. See what others wrote on thegradcafe.

gttts23 when did you hear from UBC? did they email you or your status changed online?

Their website hasn't changed. I got an email from them two weeks ago. See what others wrote on thegradcafe.

hey CS_Student, Waterloo has a great CS faculty, it is the largest in the world. Bill Gates visited University of Waterloo last week and Microsoft hires more Waterloo CS grads then from other university.

Thank you for the advice. I really admire this university and I am not sure what to choose if I got admitted to both of Toronto and Waterloo. But anyway, I am currently not sure if I am going to be admitted to any school at all :) So I just wait and see.

Got an email today from a Prof at Northwestern who said he would offer me support if our research interests aligned. Well, they don't, so thats one more offer out there for people who applied to Northwestern and are interested in embedded systems (his area of research).

GRE 800Q, 620V, 4AWA

GRE CS 870, 97th percentile

TOEFL 110

BA in CS, Summa Cum Lauda from a top-150 university (according to the 2007 Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranking - their methodology is a bit woo-woo, so it's just to give a reference).

3 conference papers (fortunately it seems that no one in the committee read them :D).

Almost 8 years of experience in an industrial research lab and in the industry in a field closely related to the one I want to do my PhD in. I tried to make my SOP as focused as possible.

I selected schools according to potential advisers, and would be very happy to work with all of them.

@gttts23 Nice profile and cngrats on great admissions.

I am a future applicant, and need your valuable opinion on following:

1- After eight years of experience how easy/difficult is it to get accepted for PHD (I have more than 8 years experience)?

2- Is age a hinderance, any threshold age (for CS PhD)?

3- How valuable is having relevent work and teaching experience, but not research, in field of interest?

4- After this much experience on usually depends upon a handsome salary/month, how to cope with this situation during PhD, if one has a dependent family?

Sorry for digressing from the subject of the thread.