Urch Forums

Mole : Chthonic

AmigoRo

I have to say that this is not a good analogy, AmigoRo, and would NOT appear on the real GRE. From whence it comes, pray tell?

I suppose the creator of this question wants us to choose B, but "mole" is simply not strongly related to chthonic, meaning that our question stem is not good, which in turn means that the question is not good.

Originally posted by Admin

I have to say that this is not a good analogy, AmigoRo, and would NOT appear on the real GRE. From whence it comes, pray tell?

I suppose the creator of this question wants us to choose B, but "mole" is simply not strongly related to chthonic, meaning that our question stem is not good, which in turn means that the question is not good.

:o:o:o I came up with that :o:o:o

A mole (a furry burrowing mammal) is by nature chthonic (dwelling underground).

An arcadian (One who leads or prefers a simple, rural life) is by nature Bucolic(rural, pastoral).

In my original post, I asked whether it was you who'd created the analogy, but I thought better of being so presumptuous, and edited my post.

The problem with your analogy is that Chthonic, although the definition mentions the "underworld," relates more to "hell" than to the simple state of existing beneath the surface of the Earth.

But perhaps there's an important GRE lesson to be learned here. GRE will take its definitions solely from well established, universal meanings of words. Moles are not thought to exist in "hell," but thought to exist under our feet, two different things.

Okay, you're obviously a smart guy, and I think you've got the point now. :)

Originally posted by Erin Billy

But perhaps there's an important GRE lesson to be learned here. GRE will take its definitions solely from well established, universal meanings of words.

Agreed. I find that it is only Kaplan that bothers with the obscure tertiary meanings of words.

AmigoRo

(Who is contemplating applying to Kaplan instead of univerisities)