Urch Forums

Biochemistry GRE study guide

Hi there,

I'm taking my biochemistry GRE on November 10th, and just about finished my study schedule for the next six weeks.

Though I'm a biology major, I still found it hard to gauge how much information is enough especially that I didn't attend university in the US. So I was looking for some kind of study guide to help me with that and stumbled upon this most excellent guide:

Biochemistry study guides

Of course I can't guarantee it's error free and comprehensive enough nor can the authors for that matter. But after skimming through it for a couple of days it does look quite solid to me, and can be of great help for those of us who tend to be overwhelmed with information. Plus, anyone who uses LateX to put together a study guide has my utmost respect ;)

I know how frustrating and scary preparing for that biochemistry GRE can be even for the most accomplished biologists amongst us. So I thought I'd share the information with the rest of you.

For the record, here are the books I'm using to study:

- Lewin's Genes + Schaum's outline of genetics (for practice exercises)

- Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry + Schaum's outline of biochemistry (for practice exercises)

- Albert's MBOC + essential cell biology

Good luck to all. Cheers!

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi there

What a relief that Biochem GRE is finally behind me!

It went well although not as good as I'd hoped. My guess is I'll be around 70-80 percentile, which is still an overall good score. I had to skip A LOT of questions because there were concepts I'd never heard of before and unfortunately never had the time to cover during my prep.

If you have any questions, now's the time.

Chris

• 8 months later...

1) Albert's Molecular Biology of the Cell, 5th Edition, is from 2008.

Is it not too old, 5 years later ?

2) How long does it take you to read this more than 1000 pages book ?

3) Are there any chapters that you might skip, and still be OK for the exam ?

Thanks.