Urch Forums

My preparation for the GRE chemistry exam and my scores

ezsanche

I have decided to post my GRE chemistry experience here so that anyone who interested in taking the GRE chemistry subject exam can read it.

I took the GRE chemistry test this past April and I just got my scores back from ETS. The test consisted of 130 chemistry questions which had to be completed in 170 minutes. I manage to score a 860, which was good enough to rank me in the 91 percentile.

It took me a little under a month to prepare for this exam. The following is a list of the materials I used for my preparation

REA GRE CHEMISTRY Five Full Length Exams-

This is a great book. It offers five 150 questions exams and provides detailed explanations to every exam question after each exam. I used this book during the later phase of my preparation after I had thoroughly reviewed all the subject areas that are covered in the GRE.

PRINCETON REVIEW Cracking the GRE Chemistry- This is an okay review. It provides a general summary of all the topics that are tested by in the GRE chemistry exam. However, it does not go into details, so it is not useful if you are learning the topic for the first time. I used it as mostly a refresher. One bad thing about this book is that it is full of errors. I advise anyone who is using this book to be cautious about some of the content included in it. I recommend reading this book along with a text book to make sure that whatever is stated in the book is actually correct. The book offers one full length practice test.

Some useful Websites

The Official GRE Chemistry Sample Test- I took this test before and after my prep to see how much I had approved.

ETS-Major Field Test in Chemistry- 35 GRE Chemistry problems.

Formula Sheets

MCAT Prep 101 Chemistry Equation Sheet-

MCAT Prep 101 Organic Chemistry-

Although these formula sheets are tailored for the MCAt, they provide a lot of useful information.

Physical Chemistry Crib sheet- a very useful guide.

Powerpoint notes on Rate Kinetics Part 1-

Powerpoint notes on Rate Kinetics Part 2-

a good summary on the concepts involving rate kinetics

Inorganic Chemistry Transition Metal Review

They are probably more useful websites online, but these were the ones I used.

TextBooks

Organic Chemistry - Solomon and Fryhle 8th edition

General Chemistry - McMurry and Fay 4th edition

Physical Chemistry- Never took physical chemistry in college just relied on the Princeton Review and all the notes I found online

Inorganic Chemistry- Miessler and Tarr 3th edition

Analytical Chemistry- Harris 7th edition

• 1 year later...
It sounds like you retained a lot of information from your chemistry studies in college and relied on test prep material as more of a review than a learning process. What information was actually new to you? What percentage of the material would you say you saw before you started studying? Also, how was the emphasis on material different when studying for the test and when studying in school?

• 3 years later...

hey hi, i am planning to appear for subject gre this october could you please clear a doubt i have about it..i am a third year bachelor's student and am planning to appear for general gre next year. is it possible to appear for subject gre before i am done with my general gre ?????

and i went through the boooks and sheets you mentioned. they are very helpful. thanks anyways.

• 4 years later...